[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 111 KB, 399x565, 1311727875802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1980288 No.1980288 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, /lit/.

I'm just going to ask you this. I'm looking for something to write. I'm unsure of the topic of the material that I should write about. If anyone can help me decide, it'd be fantastic.

-Dystopian future with China as the sole super power as America has fallen into disrepair and is controlled by the companies. (lol, 5 years from now)

-Sci Fi story about a group of humans trying to find Earth 5,000 years after Earth was abandoned and lost.

-A whiny story about 20-something year olds coming to terms with life and learning how to finally become adults.

-Some trashy BDSM novel.

In b4 the eventual comments mocking me as we all know /lit/ is one of the more stuck-up boards.

Pic unrelated.

>> No.1980294 [DELETED] 
File: 8 KB, 285x249, 1311283468399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> mfw I immediately thought to mix the whiny story of coming to age with the BDSM

I don't know if it would work OP, but man it'd be one heck of a tale.

>> No.1980293

Bump for answers.

>> No.1980298 [DELETED] 

>book about chinks
>novelization of wall-e
>typical wes anderson movie pitch
>venus in furs

gee idk

>> No.1980299

>>1980294
I know it could work, but the only way I could write it well would be basically make the main character me. Since I'm a masochistic, I doubt I'd be very Mary Sueish.

>> No.1980303 [DELETED] 

>>1980298
>mfw my spoilers were right.

Actually the first story was more about currpoted companies letting America run into ruin and China taking over. It's basically a bunch of cliche "patriots" taking on a giant Chinese company that now runs move of America. So fuck, yeah, chinks.

There's no fat people and they didn't leave Earth for garbage related reasons. I wasn't even thinking of including robots.

Oh well.

If I could write something as well as Venus In Furs, do you think I would be turned off by that idea?

>> No.1980304

What's that shitty almost strawman-type preemptive defense that people use when they are inconfident whiny bitches?

>/lit/ is one of the more stuck up boards
>Every criticism from then on is because /lit/ is stuck up and not because your ideas are shit

We are stuck up, but your ideas are fucking overused and woeful. Try not insulting us before asking for advice next time.

>> No.1980307

Submitting to a whip and hot candle wax is so similar to the masochism that lies in accepting the adult worlds and rules.

>> No.1980312

>>1980307
MAYBE FOR YOU. I'M LIVING A FUCKING AWESOME LIFE

>> No.1980313

>>1980304
All you did was prove my point. Way to be the bigger man, /lit/. It's just like when you ask /a/ for anime. Or when you talking about anything but ponies on /co/. It might also be when you talk video games on /v/.

So yeah, my ideas are shit. You didn't expand, you just called them shit and then called me shit. Way to go, asshole.

>> No.1980317 [DELETED] 

>>1980303
i was just kidding

>> No.1980319

So basically I should just mix the 20-something year olds with BDSM?

>> No.1980320

>>1980313
>acknowledging me as /lit/
>2011

You called me stuck up. You started it.

>> No.1980321

>>1980317
Oh fuck. Quentin. I didn't even notice your name. I got trolled. Can we now talk about drugs? I enjoy those threads.

>> No.1980325

>>1980320
No, I called /lit/ stuck up. You spoke for /lit/. That's just how it is.

>> No.1980326
File: 94 KB, 512x512, 1310495046001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1980313
>>1980313

I'll go to agree with the general consensus that your ideas, at least from this angle of description, seem pretty commonly considered.

The only advice I can give you is to either:

A) Somehow string together particular story ideas into one element (such as I suggest previously.)

B) Delve deeper into one idea and flesh it out - basically write out a three paragraph synopsis of the major points/action/characters in the story and figure areas where you could deviate to stand out.

(For example, you could do a coming of age story but what if one of the people was handicapped? Mentally? Physically? Even something like that is a major shift on the ideas presented in the novel, the interactions between characters, etc.)

>> No.1980330

I like the "Coming back to Earth" idea. It could have a strong romantic feel if you do it right. Fuck wall-e.

>> No.1980334

>>1980319

If you are fucking hardcore you also put in the first 2 premises. You will then have BDSM orgies in a spaceship and a lot of self loathing and in a different storyline you tell how earth was "destroyed" in this dystopian company controlled future which lies now about 4500 years in the past.

>> No.1980336

>>1980326
I enjoy your input and I thank you for it.

The only reason I gave bullet points for the ideas is because I didn't want to type them all out for this post. I have them mostly fleshed out, but the idea of combining the trashy BDSM with the coming of age story does sound like something that can come easy to me. The other ideas sound more fantastic and would probably be harder, but might be more worth it in the end.

>> No.1980342

>>1980330
That was the whole idea. It's almost a story of a group of people coming back "home". That's why I liked it.

>>1980334
lol, space origies. That would be fun. However, I want Earth to be pristine when the find it. Maybe an unstoppable virus spread and they had no choice, but to take the last remaining humans to space to escape it. Kind of like Mother Earth was fighting back to the heavily industrialized land.