[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 82 KB, 2220x1392, meow.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19797507 No.19797507 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone ever experienced being told by family members, peers, etc that reading fiction is a waste of time? I've started getting into reading, and I have the goal of reading roughly 4,000 pages this year, but some of the people in my life tell me that reading is a waste of time, and I should use books as a way to improve myself directly, such as by reading self-help books, and that the internet has now replaced books as a form of gaining information and entertainment. I don't plan to give up reading, but it's quite disheartening. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing before?

>> No.19797564

>>19797507
>that reading fiction is a waste of time?
too elaborate of a take. The way it usually goes is like
>(person who has never read a book, listened to classical music, watched a non capeshit movie in his entire life) You're reading Russians, huh... I mean Russia... What did they even make?
>Russia has contributed this and that
>Bah...
>Have you read/watched/listened to them?
>…
>Have you something better to suggest? IDK if Russia is culturally worthless there must be something you like more?
>Idk don't care *tunes into Pawn Stars*

>> No.19797591

4,000 pages isn't that much. It's only a little more than 10 pages a day. Unless you're an extremely slow reader it's not even 2% of your time spent during the year.

Tell your haters to suck dick.

>> No.19797597

In the same tone they'll also say "oh yeah Shakespeare is the best writer, right?" (never read a single thing)
>I honestly think X is greater.
>No way, who the fuck is even that?
>Have you read him?
>…
>Have you read Shakespeare?
>No but cmon, to be or not to be and shit, you're being silly
Same with pretty much any field. People don't have real opinions, not even crass ones. They literally just parrot what they think is popular consensus.

>> No.19797644
File: 68 KB, 890x839, 1641846355003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19797507
I've heard my family call everything a waste of time. Hobbies, interests, books. I never listened to them, I just found the subjects interesting. I studied philosophy, language, religion. My friends also disliked whenever I mentioned what I was reading, they thought it seemed pretentious or I was trying to appear a certain way.

It only matters if you enjoy it. Even if they're trying to insult you. Fuck them, keep reading. Even if it's fiction. Read whatever you want

>> No.19797723

>>19797644
This. My family made fun of me for literally doing anything that didn't involve the 2 things they like (working on our pathetic farm with 0 ROI or meeting girls at parties.