[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 250x388, infinite-jest1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1973353 No.1973353 [Reply] [Original]

Holky fuck this was good

And I'm glad to be done with it, shit be fatiguing

>> No.1973366

The book sucks and no one cares that you read it.

>> No.1973385

it wasn't good, actually.

>> No.1973390

>this was good
>it wasn't good
welcome to /lit/
what's a vocabulary?

>> No.1973403

>>1973390
the best part is that most of the posters haven't actually read the books upon which they are commenting

>> No.1973438

i am 17% in according to my kindle. i have enjoyed almost none of it. there are some passages which are interesting, but for the most part it is tedious. directly before it i read Cloud Atlas, Nip the Buds Shoot the Kids, and East of Eden. All 3 of these books were enjoyable and at least Cloud Atlas and EoE seemed better written.

That being said, I will still finish it as some books do grow on you as you go through them.

This book is just so tedious and enjoyable I can't yet see it growing on me.

>> No.1973778

>>1973438
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 17% HOw COOL YOU"RE KINDLE CALCULATES HOW MANY PAGES IN A PERCENTILE MANNER YOU HAVE READ THUS FAR HOLY SHIT GOD FORBID YOU PUT AWAY YOUR FAGGY DIGI MAXI PAD BOOK IMAGER DEVICE AND SIMPLY READ THE FUCKING BOOK

CHRIST WHAT A DOUCHEBAG KINDLE PEOPLE ARE, JUST THE WORD ITSELF< LIKE FUCKING STICKS FOR THE PYRE YOU KINDLE PEOPLE ARE< SHEEEEEPLEE I MAD I MAD I MAD JK JK NM GO BACK TO SIPING YOUR MOCHACHINO

YOU KNOW NOTHING OF LITERATURE, CLOUD ATLAS + EAST OF EDEN + INFINITE JEST WTF ARE YOU THINKIGN:? JUST SKIPPING AROUND THROUGH THE PROGRESSION OF HUMAN THOUGHT A TAD? DUMB FUCK YOU MUST BEGIN AT THE BEGINNING IF YOU WANT TO UNDERSTAND. FIND THE OLDEST PIECE OF LITERATURE YOU CAN AND READ IT< MEMORIZE AND UNDERSTAND IT AND THEN FIND THE SECOND OLDEST. THEN KEEP GOING FOREVER AND MAYBE SOMEDAY YOU'LL GET WHAT THE FUCK ALL THE GREAT MEN AND WOMEN WERE TRYING TO SAY. TILL THEN SUCK A DICK. IJ IS WASTED ON PEOPLE LIKE YOU

>> No.1973793
File: 83 KB, 636x416, 1311195423741.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1973778
what

>> No.1973796

>>1973793
WHAT DOES YOU MEAN TO SAY TO ME YOU DONT LIKE MY THINGS? HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND YOUR BUTT REFERENTIALS?

>> No.1973797

>>1973778

Capsguy is judicious.

>> No.1973800

>>1973796
Capsguy? You used to be so chill and about literature. What happened?

>> No.1973801

>>1973778
>>1973796

what is this i dont even

>> No.1973803

>implying any random person with caps lock on is caps guy

>> No.1973804
File: 166 KB, 343x343, 1311667440796.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1973796
ur just a autism buthurt faggot

>> No.1973808

>>1973804
is that clearer bitch
>>1973796

>> No.1973830

>>1973438
I felt the exact same way about 250 pages in. I posted something here to the effect that it was taxing and nonsensically draining.
Then I finished it. It's one of my favorite books. I do think it's brilliant in its own fashion, but not in the way people want or expect from a novel of its kind.

>> No.1973842

EVERYONE knows that only hipsters and pseud's claim Infinite Jest is a great book or Wallace's best.

>> No.1973861

>>1973842
>makes sweeping generalizations resting on disparaging, ambiguous labels, and tacks on as an afterthought the notion that the author's less popular works are better
A deep and nuanced post, sir, the force of your rhetoric has made me revise my opinion because I'm terrified of being a pseudo-intellectual, even though the fear of being considered a pseudo-intellectual would contain the concern with image which marks and causes such a condition.

>> No.1973872

>>1973797
>>1973800
that is definitely not capsguy

>> No.1973890

>>1973778
>>1973778
>FIND THE OLDEST PIECE OF LITERATURE YOU CAN AND READ IT< MEMORIZE AND UNDERSTAND IT AND THEN FIND THE SECOND OLDEST. THEN KEEP GOING FOREVER AND MAYBE SOMEDAY YOU'LL GET WHAT THE FUCK ALL THE GREAT MEN AND WOMEN WERE TRYING TO SAY. TILL THEN SUCK A DICK. IJ IS WASTED ON PEOPLE LIKE YOU
This! This! This so much! I will never understand the hard-on /lit/ has for C20th+21th literature!

>> No.1973894

To write a book that long must be a fucking sisyphean task, you give him that.

>> No.1973898

FUCK, I LOVE THIS. EVERY DAY THERE ARE NEW CAPSGUYS JOINING THE RANKS!

COME HOME AFTER A GREAT DAY OUT TO THIS, FUCK I LOVE YOU /LIT/

>> No.1973902

>>1973861

It's okay, maybe you're not a pseud, maybe you've just got terrible taste.

>> No.1973908

>>1973890
It has relevance to our time. I've read plenty of the classics, and they're great to read, and especially so for the background they give you when reading works of the present day.
Reading nothing but old works is sticking your head in the sand. Applying Herodotus or Descartes or Chaucer to today's world is an obvious case of the round peg and the square hole.
Again, this is not to denigrate the classics at all, they should be read, I'll agree to that no problem, but I dislike the zealotry of saying they're all that should be read. It's completely denying the geniuses of our time for no better reason than that they either died recently or haven't died yet.

>> No.1973910

>>1973908
I shall agree with this gentleman.

>> No.1973913

>>1973908
>Reading nothing but old works is sticking your head in the sand. Applying Herodotus or Descartes or Chaucer to today's world is an obvious case of the round peg and the square hole.
So would you say that the only reason you should read literature is to apply it to today's world?

>> No.1973922

>>1973913
because the better way to go about that is to read childrens stories.

>> No.1973925

Infinite Jest is alright, but massively overrated. Listen to me. The whole thing is extremely repetitive. It's just the same 2 chapters over and over and over and over again. When Ayn Rand did this, people went crazy. When DFW did it, OMG THIS ROX! I think that both authors were preachy and repetitive, if anything. The drug chapters were enjoyable for about 300 pages, maybe more, then I realised I would have another 700 fucking pages of exposition about drug rehab, a lot of it the same ideas repeated, and that wasn't good. The tennis chapters get boring by the end as well.

Look, if you want something very good by the author, read Oblivion: Stories or Girl With Curious Hair. The Pale King is a unique, good read, too.

>> No.1973926

>>1973908
>Applying Herodotus or Descartes or Chaucer to today's world is an obvious case of the round peg and the square hole
..what? you're saying that the subtleties of emotion etc etc achieved by Chaucer are irrelevant to the modern day? one of the big reasons the classics are classics is because they, as ezra pound put it, 'make it new': they are perennially exciting and are always attracting new study. to suggest that chaucer is totally removed from the real world is out of order.

>> No.1973931

>>1973913
Yes and no.
>and they're great to read, and especially so for the background they give you when reading works of the present day.
What reading the classics can give you is a more thorough understanding of the things that have come after them.
What they can also give you is a distinct portraiture of lives and cultures that have gone by in the making of the world, with no pertinence to your life whatsoever other than being an enjoyable experience that was also enriching.
You can read Milton to look at the development of some theological arguments.
You can read Milton to peer amazed at the twists and eddies he dug and coursed in a tributary of the vast river which is the English language.
I would call both worthwhile.

>> No.1973932

To be "art", a novel needs to be either political or philosophical, same as any other art.

Nothing wrong with reading entertainment books for pleasure (like Harry Potter, Ice & Fire, etc), people can read whatever they enjoy, if they're just looking to be entertained. If you're looking to learn, though...

>> No.1973940

>>1973932
hipster detected

>> No.1973942

>>1973932
>To be "art", a novel needs to be either political or philosophical, same as any other art.
>nabokov rolling eyes.jpg

>> No.1973945

>>1973926
You're pulling one quote out of context. Anybody ever tell you not to do that? Cause you shouldn't. I also said
>[The classics are] great to read
>Reading _nothing but_ old works is sticking your head in the sand.
>[The classics] should be read, I'll agree to that no problem

I am not at all arguing that the classics have no pertinence to our own time. But applying Descartes, rather than understanding him and using this understanding to move forward and further your understanding of those who came after him, is just silly. Unless you really want to look for the soul in the pineal gland...

>> No.1973955

>>1973932
All rhetoric contains philosophy. Politics is philosophic.

>> No.1973957

>>1973955
I know I'll have to qualify this one for some nitpicky shithead:
All rhetoric contains some philosophy. Political thought is a branch of philosophy.