[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 594x703, image_2022-01-12_152610.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19733429 No.19733429 [Reply] [Original]

Which Jung book has changed your world view the most?

I only read The Man and His Symbols so far.

>> No.19733431

>>19733429
How did he get there? How did he find the shadow?

>> No.19733452

>>19733431
The psychosis he suffered during his 40s. Jung went to the underworld to confront his shadow and came back, like the hero's journey.

>> No.19733622

>>19733429
Honestly, the book Jolande wrote about him. It was comprehensive yet understandable enough. It was recommended to me here as a way to begin Jung, rather than going right to his works. I didn't like Man and His Symbols at all.

>> No.19733633

>>19733622
>I didn't like Man and His Symbols at all.
Only the first chapter was written by Jung, right? The remaining essays were written by his students or whatever.

>> No.19733697

>>19733633
Exactly. And Jolande Jacobi (or whichever was her first/last name) was one of them. She clearly knows her stuff, and so did the others, but it was a whole lot of the same. Just pages and pages of dream analysis, which is useful in its own right, but the problem is that if you're trying to learn it gets very redundant very quick. The most interesting part is seeing how each drew interpretations, but even then, I was looking for more on Jungian psychology generally. So I just got bored. If you want a brief view, Jacobi's book 'The Psychology of C.G Jung,' was where I learned the most.

>> No.19734030

>>19733633
Yes, and the first chapter is the best imho. The repetitive theme of the books makes it a bit to superficial as a whole.

Jacobi is decent though. She wrote more books about Jung, like The Way of Individuation.

>> No.19734604

Aion
I underestimated just how much knowledge can change your conceptions and interpretations. To articulate the manifestations of human consciousness so clearly and tangibly its like you can reach out and touch the very underlying consciousnesses of humanity and in a flash it was as if I had both gained a deeper understanding and became aware of my own misunderstandings and the misunderstandings humanity have. Humans are foolish enough to think that they can tame their own nature and enforce their petty will on the very pillars of their being. They think they know all. They think theyre clever for scoffing at observations and yet theyre made fools of those very things their entire lives. Day-after-day wallowing in the acidic primordial pool of their own comfortable ignorance Very few understand what Jung spoke about and I myself have only a limited understanding

>> No.19735721

Is Jung compatible with Nietzsche's Ubermench?

>> No.19736068

>>19733429
Aion. It is the Jung book, I think. The Red Book and Answer to Job are also way up there. The latter is definitely something to be read after reading Aion.

>> No.19736085

>>19733697
>Jacobi's book 'The Psychology of C.G Jung,' was where I learned the most.
I bought this a while back but had trouble making sense of it, only getting a chapter or so in. I’m on a psychology kick right now and am going to return to it, can you offer any points of wisdom or knowledge that you found interesting?

>> No.19736373

>>19734030
>>19736068
JBP was crazy for recommending Aion to the mainstream

>> No.19736407

>>19736373
I'm
>>19736068
What is JBP?

>> No.19736412

>>19736407
jordan b. Peterson

>> No.19736487

>>19736085
I'll list the things that really struck me:
>breakdown of the psyche, the personal unconscous and the collective unconscious, the archetypes (obviously), and dream analysis
I would go into more detail, but I couldn't find my notes from when I read it (over a year ago) and am currently on the liquor. For me, when things didn't make sense, I just moved on. The stuff that resonated with me were clear enough, I am sure you will find the very same. At the end of the day, Jung is the sort of dude you keep reading about because his shit is a little out there, but once it makes sense you'll feel like you just met a real G.

>> No.19736506

>>19736412
I only know of him because of "clean your room" memes, shit about lobsters.
Aion comprises of the best of Jung. The latter parts make up the apogee of his thought and the early chapters also happen to be the best summation of key elements of the same. I don't know if a person could read the book by itself and really "get" Jung, but it is certainly the closest he came to a comprehensive work.

>> No.19736536
File: 1.16 MB, 1361x1815, 1626815480341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19733429
>Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research.
what the fuck did Jung mean by this?

>> No.19736555
File: 96 KB, 640x476, 15631102351856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

After Jung I read Joseph Campbell and Mircea Eliade. Where do I go from here?

>> No.19736587

>>19736536
He believed the first half of your life should be focused on carving your lifestyle and strengthening your ego before attempting individuation i.e., obtaining a career, a family, etc. I remember a quote from 2 Essays on Analytical psychology IIRC that goes something like this "When the mother and father complex is still to be found, then one shouldn't even think about archetypes"

>> No.19736666

>>19736555

Well, Idk what you have read.
I'm
>>19736068
I made my way to Jung through Campbell through a trajectory starting with my reading The Neverending Story when I was quite young.

Schopenhauer is fundamental to Jung and the concept of the archetype. Reading "The Fourfold Root.." and "The World as Will..." is a good idea.
Jung was also inspired by Neitzche, and, while I mostly do not like Neitzche, "The Birth of Tragedy" is pretty clearly an inspiration for Jung, among other bits of his writing.
Something else that Jung is clearly at least responding to by way of Schopenhauer is Luther's On the Bondage of the Will.

>> No.19736731
File: 48 KB, 902x513, 1613375334881.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19736587
So should a 26 year old even bother reading Jung and trying to integrate his shadow? Are spiritual pursuits worthwhile while devolping one's ego? Or should I just focus on myself and shelf these concerns until I'm middle aged? Not trolling I'm being serious because I'm a somewhat young man who repsects these spiritual principles but if they aren't worth pursuing until later in life should I bother?

>> No.19736739

>>19734604
>talks about humans at large being fools
yikes

>> No.19736757

I mean reading Jung is cool but at some point you gotta try dream analysis and active imagination and see if it works.

I did some and got nothing out of it so far.

>> No.19736762

>>19736731
I'm assuming Jung would think so given that quote but there's obviously a bunch of people who do otherwise though. Anyway there's still alot to do at that age without diving in the deep end. You can still do personal discovery, i.e., facing your personal shadow and using your insights to strengthen your ego, I think anyway.

>> No.19736769

>>19736731
>>19736731
Not him, but yes, obviously.
Study and cultivating understanding should be THE focus of your life. It is a putting together before the taking apart. These are your stations of the cross. These are the self-concerns of the man pre-hieros-gamos.
Individuation is a post Beatrice, post Emma Cleary event, something that happens after you withdraw your striving from an external thing or event.

>> No.19736968
File: 33 KB, 300x431, 1444333682.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found I preferred his student Robert A Johnson's work. Less of the stuff that ranges into pseudoscience, more focus on myth and the path to self actualization.
Of Jung I had only read On Man and His Symbols, his "autobiography," Psychology and Alchemy, and a number of assorted papers and excerpts and papers I had printed out.

>>19736555
This depends on what you're looking for. For practical elements, I like Johnson, who I mentioned above, and more so Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning.

I'm sure there is more stuff like Campbell and Jung being written, it just fell out of vouge for clinicians due to unfavorable results compared to other methods, with psychologists due to the difficulty in falsifying them as well as issues with evidence, and with anthropologists because the monomyth was critiqued as essentially being dependant on selection bias or manipulation of sources for proof of its existence. The problem is that this makes it hard to tell what is decent.

There are "ethnographic" studies like Carlos Castaneda's that tread somewhat similar ground but they has the issue of being partially or fully fictitious. They might be true of parts of Jung's autobiography to, but at least that is less clear.

If you haven't studied modern cognitive science or neuroscience, that would be elucidating, if drier.

Philosophy of mind is more interesting. Pic related is good and requires no background, but can be a bit slow due to building from the ground up. The Great Courses mind body philosophy course is quite good and Audible is cheap enough.

>> No.19736992

>>19736731
No idea. However, I find it worth noting that all the people I know who are most into that sort of thing, sometimes Jung, sometimes some form of enlightenment have been sort of basket cases with poor self control and emotional regulation problems. But maybe they'd be worse without it, or having issues made them seek out those things, IDK. I never put a lot of effort into that sort of thing. Probably too analytical, so I read/wrote instead.