[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 940 KB, 4492x2220, World_Flag_map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19726570 No.19726570 [Reply] [Original]

This thread is for discussing the literary scene from each of our countries and asses the impact they had on the rest of the world.
>Romania
Pretty good overall. We had some great novelists such as Liviu Rebreanu, Marin Preda, George Călinescu, Ion Creangă, Mihail Sadoveanu a few outstanding poets such as Mihai Eminescu and George Bacovia but very little in terms of philosophers besides Constantin Noica, Emil Cioran(if you can call him a philosopher) and Lucian Blaga.
The biggest issue we have is that almost no writters have made it overseas and we didn't have any writters to kickstart a new trend or latch onto any popular trends of their times. Cioran and Eliade managed to get some traction because they got out of the country and escaped the communist ban-hammer. The thing with getting your books banned in your own country usually means that they will end up in obscurity and commies loved banning books. Codreanu seems to be pretty popular in places such as this and I like to think that it's because of his sensibility and passion rather than "muh jews".
If I had to make a core Romanian /lit/list for foreign readers it would be:
>Poems - Mihai Eminescu
Core doomer lit. Most of his poems range from melancholic to downright depressing but any Romanian will tell you that his poetry is one of the most beautiful things ever written. There is one poem in particular wich I like called "La Steaua", it's about how the stars we see each night could be just an illusion made by the time their light has to travel to reach our sights, the stars themselves being long gone by the time we see them. Now Eminescu was born and died in the 19th century(1850-1889) so there wasn't any concrete scientific theory for this phenomenon at that time.
>Forest of the Hanged - Liviu Rebreanu
WW1 story from the perspective of a general. The story begins with an execution.
>Childhood Memories - Ion Creangă
The insane childhood spent in a village of Ion Creangă. Ion Creangă was one of the most based people who ever lived in Romania. He was everything from a writter to a journo, to a teacher to a pope.
>The Hatchet - Mihail Sadoveanu
It's about a village lady who finds out that her husband was killed on a trip. The lady takes her kids and goes on to search for his murderes. She(without knowing it) has a gogantic fucking brain and detective aptitudes. I find it very similar to a Dostoievsky novel.
>Cioran
Just don't start with On The Heights of Desspair.
>Mircea Eliade
You can either read his History of Religious Ideas, a book that does exactly what the title says. To my knowledge there are very few works on this subject and none of this scale. Or his occult fiction: Maitreyi, The Snake, Ms. Christine etc.
>For my Legionaries - Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
Needs no introduction here.
>Theater - Ion Luca Caragiale
The funniest Romanian writter and the best playwritter by a long shot.
>The Moromete Family - Marin Preda
A 1-1 representation of the Romanian life between and after the wars.

>> No.19726628

>no iorga, maiorescu, alecsandri, cantemir, ureche, goga, or even minulescu
>posts a bunch of communists
fuck off cunt

>> No.19726631

>australia
can you name anything substantial that came from us

>> No.19726636
File: 236 KB, 994x855, 1641804075281.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19726570
>Cioran
>Just don't start with On The Heights of Desspair.
just don't start reading him (at all)
this mf ruined my life

>> No.19726639

>>19726628
I have no idea how many of those have had their works translated to English. I had to make a list of popular works that got translated. It would be pointless to list a gazillion works that got no translations. Nobody will learn Romanian just for that so I had to aim for popularity.

>> No.19726647

>>19726631
You literaly had no time to write anything so you're excused.

>>19726636
He does that sometimes yeah.....

>> No.19726781
File: 1.71 MB, 1000x3100, New Project.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>argentina
I'm taking a shit and drinking coffee with milk on the toilet.

>> No.19726839

>>19726639
Iorga probably wrote in almost every European language

>> No.19726875

>>19726839
How about Czech? Slovak? Polish? Ukrainian? Finnish? Hungarian? Welsh? Gaelic? Maltese? Norwegian? Danish? Swedish? Lithuanian? Estonian? Esperanto? Romansh? Modern Greek? Serbian? Croatian? Bosnian? Montenegrin? Slovenian? Bulgarian?
He didn't write in any of those? Then, you can't say he wrote in every European language.

>> No.19726884
File: 338 KB, 538x572, 1620759899905.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Canada has Jason Bryan

>> No.19726887

>England
Well, I think you all know our literary impact on the world already. I'd say the only countrys that come close are France and Russia and maybe America.

>> No.19726927

>>19726875
Ok retard

>> No.19726939

>>19726570
>Canada
A sleeping giant, the next decade will be the time of Canadian High Literature.

>> No.19726941

>>19726887
Where would you put Joyce? No matter who brags about him(England/Ireland) they will always be cucked. The Irish will get cucked because he didn't wrote in Irish and the Bongs will get cucked because he's Irish.

>> No.19726945

>>19726839
I had no idea desu.

>> No.19726949

>>19726941
I think Ulysses is vastly overrated. But I really enjoyed Portrait of an Artist. The Irish can have him, half of their other writers are anglo-irish anyway.

>> No.19726975

>>19726887
fuck off retard
homer influenced all literature more than all anglos combined influenced a single work of literature
moreover, russian, french and german literature surpassed and will continue to surpass your old farts
english is a potato merchant language

>> No.19726980

>>19726975
Holy mother of cope.
>german literature
100% confirmed troll

>> No.19727021

>>19726887
>our
>countrys
Thanks for your input Ahmed

>> No.19727118

>>19726975
Keep seething, I bet you've never even read proust or baudelaire.
Also the germans are known best for philosophy and science/maths, not literature.
Won't argue with you on homer but the best epics writen after ancient times have come from England.

>> No.19727120

>>19726570
>Northern Ireland
0/10

>> No.19727124

>India

Maybe some decent ancient lit if you are old and content with life. There is no good modern Indian lit. It all focuses on shit like race, caste, farmers, muh untouchables. For someone that grew up in an upper middle class home, nothing is relatable. All my peers mimick bollywood actors or else, Hollywood actors, even worse, rappers... it is a reflection of early 20th century Japan with less elegance and even more nationalism. Anyways, I recently read "Untouchable" by Mulk Raj Anand and the "breasted boobily" passage, in an absurdly comical way, I think, foreshadows the Bob and vagene memes so prevalent these days. It's really very depressing living here. Then again, the vulgarity of this kind of sadness makes me reconsider. I mean, if the only reason I am sad is because I do not have what I want, am I really sophisticated? Or just an animal, a slave to biological convention?

>> No.19727140

>>19726570
>Tunisia
nothing worth mentioning other than al-muqaddimah

>> No.19727149

>Greece
ancient lit and phil needs no introduction
modern stuff has limited recognition abroad. we had a lot of widely celebrated poets in the 20th century, some of whom won international awards. Our prose, however, has been notable and generally uninteresting to non-greeks or hellenophines

>> No.19727162

>>19726636
Wtf this is literally me. How does one break this cruel cycle?

>> No.19727169

>>19726570
We do have other philosophers too like Dimitrie Cantemir, Gheorghe Lazăr, Ion Heliade-Rădulescu, Titu Maiorescu, Vasile Conta, Alexandru Xenopol, Maioreștii, Nicolae Iorga, Nae Ionescu, Mircea Vulcănescu, Petre Țuțea, and Sorin Lavric. International appeal is meaningless because we lost the war and most of our intellectuals were antisemitic, so they obviously won't receive international acclaim. You should stop being so concerned about appealing to the West and value your people for what they were. Iorga was a world-class historian and even as a thinker he'd run circles around most of today's intellectuals applauded in the West.
tl;dr: Times changed, there's nothing abroad for us anymore. Study Romanian tradition and contribute to our culture. Ignore the West and their values because they're long lost and won't recover anytime soon.

>> No.19727170

>>19727149
oops I meant
>has NOT been notable
also hellenophiles* spelling mistake

>> No.19727243

>>19726647
>You literaly had no time to write anything so you're excused.
They had about the same time as most of the new world and I can name at least a couple of famous writers from most of them but I have nothing for Australia, a developed nation

>> No.19727286

>>19727243
Is it the struggle of being undeveloped that helps to create great literature?
Maybe that explains why undeveloped new world countries have had great writers while Canada and Australia have not.

>> No.19727299

>>19727286
I dont think thats it, most literature comes from the most developed countries of their time.
Maybe Canada and Australia still havent found an independent national character and feel their culture is tied to the commonwealth and have never had to develop culturally much, leaving the "nerd shit" to England.

>> No.19727518

>>19727286
>>19727299
I think the main factor is cultural momentum and economic prosperity. Cultural momentum is: "Do people want to express themselves through literature? Is there something to say?"
New creative scenes occur in periods of economic growth + societal change. Japan in the 80's/90's, Korea in the 10's, and now China all follow this pattern. They're not producing literature but that's because their society prioritizes other stuff. North America/South America and Europe have stronger ties to literature, so if a similar boom happened here, there's a chance of good literature coming from it.

>> No.19727907

/lit/ ESLs read anglo literature and hate their own countries

>> No.19727910
File: 20 KB, 460x375, Alain Grandbois.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19726939
Good Canadian authors are French-Canadians.

>> No.19727918

>Brazil
8/10 its okay
Would be 10/10 if Pessoa was ours

>> No.19727922

>>19726570
>Brazil
Our writers are shit and the best one was an imitator of Sterne, very funny, but way worse than the model.

>> No.19727944
File: 287 KB, 1080x1809, 20220111_135804.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19727918
>>19727922
What are you talking, I never read anything national, but what about Machado de Assis, Aluisio Azevedo, Clarice Lispector, Gregório de Matos, etc...

There is gonna be a war man, between the blacks and the whites.

>> No.19728378

>>19726975
I don't like the Bongs either but I like g*rms even less and(excluding philosophy) they have no literature besides Goethe.

>> No.19728389

>Russia
being a native Russian speaker is one of the greatest things ever

>> No.19728395

>>19727149
Just got myself a copy of Digenes Akritas because I'm obsessed with the Byzantines. What am I in for? It's extremely rare in my country. Only 3650 copies were printed in the 60s.

>> No.19728422

>>19728395
Not him but I read it long ago and didnt really hold my interest much. Probably one of the least interesting medieval "epics" I read, which is sad because I also went into it kinda hyped, but I guess there is a reason its not that widely known/distributed.

>> No.19728436

>>19727944
Based schizo poster

>> No.19728457

>>19727169
Besides Cantemir most of them did other things besides philosophy. Also, Sorin Lavric???? Rly nigga???? I don't realy care about how the west sees us believe it or not. I was just stating that we have some amazing writters that would shit on most other countries but did not got the recognition they deserve. There are few people in the world who wrote as much as Iorga and Călinescu. You can't honestly aknowledge this fact without being even a little butthurt about it.

>> No.19728471
File: 31 KB, 680x928, ffa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Spain
Theater, poetry, novels (specially THE novel, you know which one)... We did everything better than any of you. You're welcome

>> No.19728503

>>19728457
>Besides Cantemir most of them did other things besides philosophy.
? Cantemir also did other things besides philosophy.
>Also, Sorin Lavric???? Rly nigga????
Yes, grow up.
> I don't realy care about how the west sees us believe it or not.
You sound like an Americanized zoomer, so I doubt it.
>You can't honestly aknowledge this fact without being even a little butthurt about it.
I don't care. When Iorga received his honorary doctorate from University of Oxford, they compared him to Livy, so he was obviously highly regarded. Most of his history is about Romania and Byzantium, so I don't see why he would be particularly famous in the West.

>> No.19728515

>>19728471
Then we Hispanic Americans came and saved Hispanic literature after your empire started declining. You’re welcome.

>> No.19728529

>>19727944
>There is gonna be a war man, between the blacks and the whites
kek will people just commit suicide? Not really a war, then

>> No.19728561

>>19727169
>>19728503
No more brother wars, stop fighting. Romania has enough problems and there is room for diversity of opinions.

I'd like to know what you both think is a constructive but reasonable plan for saving this country. There's too much doomerism and Romanians are so good at taking the piss out of themselves they forget to seriouspost too sometimes. I like this thread and I hope it doesn't end in bitterness.

>> No.19728584

>>19728561
>a constructive but reasonable plan for saving this country.
>Idealistically
AUR gets into power, diaspora comes home, and we have a cultural renaissance.
>Realistically
It depends on NATO vs Russia in the East and on the EU in the West, so we don't have much autonomy to plan out anything.

>> No.19728591

>Brazil
Can't connect with my country's literature because it's all about romance (am a chudcel) and being le heckin poor but rich of spirit knowsayin the hustle and bustle of the everyday fight knowsayin

>> No.19728641

>>19726570
Okay, so I am from Poland but moved to the UK about half a year ago. Let my ignorant ass tell you about the state of polish literature history
>Poland
In my opinion the current state is pretty shit honestly. When we think of famous writers most of them are already dead - aside from this woman called Olga Tokarczuk who even got a literary Nobel prize not that long ago. I'd say that peak period of polish literature had been between 1930's and 1990's. We don't really have any significant reading and literary culture like in France, UK or somewhere else.
Also, a very polish thing is that quite a few famous writers like Joseph Conrad Korzeniowski and Gombrowicz lived an expat life partially due to conflicts on polish soil but also the matter of crab bucket mentality - Maria Skłodowska-Curie is a good example from another area of life since she wouldn't have achieved shit if she were to stay in her birthplace for the most part. Readership is pretty low, book prices compared to the UK standards are quite high so most of the people tend to use libraries and shop in "antique" bookshops. Libraries have good stock only in biggest cities, some even have small "international" sections where you can read books in original languages - they are usually donated to the libraries by consulates and embassies.
Now, for some of the writers and poets worth reading - this is a mixture of different styles and periods to somewhat give you an eclectic representation of the entire polish menu. Some of the authors come from mixed heritage, mostly jewish and lithuanian, sometimes belarussian - due to the interconnections between the current states and multiculturalism of past polish states.
>Adam Mickiewicz
He wrote all of his works in polish, probably the most glorified poet in our history. Wrote in polish romantic period. Very descriptive writing style which might filter you since it is pretty boring sometimes. Try reading Dziady or Pan Tadeusz
>Stanisław Wyspiański
Other famous creative, considered as a part of Young Poland period. Read Wesele
>Władysław Reymont
Another writer from Young Poland period. Had a big hardon on realism and naturalism in his works. Very soulful, Chłopi and Ziemia obiecana are certainly worth reading.
>Henryk Sienkiewicz
19th/20th century writer. Quo vadis and his Trillogy about 17th century poland is pretty fukken good

>> No.19728768

>>19728641
>Czesław Miłosz
Most decorated polish poet of 20th century. His themes always revolved around apocalypse but WW2 especially fucked him up good

>Witold Gombrowicz
He wrote Ferdydurke, I would compare him to Milan Kundera when it comes to approach towards a blend of philosophical and psychological analysis in his writing.
>Julian Tuwim
20th century poet, most poles recognize him for his poems for kids but he also wrote some pretty caustic and funny poetry towards adults. "Poem in which the author politely but firmly implores the vast hosts of his brethren to kiss his arse." is imo Tuwim at his best.
>Wisława Szymborska
Sucked up to the communists after ww2, one of few published authors back then. Rather funny and ironic poetry.
>Olga Tokarczuk
Most current writer, got the Nobel award for her overall work. Writes mostly about past history of multicultural poland, jews etc. Incredibly pretentious and left-leaning liberal in personal life. Bieguni and Księgi Jakubowe could be pondered.
>Stanisław Barańczak
21st century poet, mostly known for his great translations of Shakespeare and other foreign poets. He somewhat estabilished his own school of creating translations.
>Zbigniew Herbert
20th century poet, got a fuckton of awards both during life and post-mortem. Used to hang out with Czesław Miłosz
>Stanisław Lem
Science fiction, very good sci-fi even. Translations are pretty difficult to nail down but he's certainly enjoyable to read. Solaris, Tales of Pirx the Pilot and The Futurological Congress are defo good to read
>Andrzej Sapkowski
He wrote all the Witcher books, gigantic asshole and boomer but if you like fantasy you should give it a try.
>Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski/ Joseph Conrad
His nationality is debatable really but his books always have some element of feeling alienated and out of element. He had a really difficult life as an expat, he managed to learn english only in his 20's yet he is probably one of the best ESL writers. Heart of Darkness, Lord Jim, Victory

>> No.19728857
File: 357 KB, 448x1853, BEAR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19726939
It is a sleeping giant, alright…

>> No.19728953

>>19728641
Romanticism peaked in Poland and Modernism began with Irzykowski. Polska górą, Polska rządzi.

>> No.19728956

>>19726570
Greenland isn't an independent country, slutbox

>> No.19728982

>>19726570
Mexico
There's some shit we have I guess.
I don't read them though, heard Ruben Dario is a good poet but I dislike poetry.
Juan rulfo is supposedly one of our good authors.

>> No.19729024

>>19728982
Incredibly midwit take. Darío is not even Mexican.

>> No.19729361

>>19729024
Ah well, that be life.
I never promised you I was a giga brain. Hell, I never told you I was smart.
I just told you what I knew, which was wrong.

>> No.19729375

>>19726941
Joyce is Irish.

>> No.19729936

Are Romanian and Polish literatures any similar?

>> No.19730477

>>19728591
>noooo not the hecking poor niggerinos in the streets of salvador!!!