[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 365x362, 1625205366011.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19712824 No.19712824[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Are there any books that talk about most mental health institutions being complete bullshit?
I mean, I know there are schizophrenic people out there that genuinely benefit from being full of drugs, but I can't literally shake this feeling of wanting to punch in the face anybody that dares to utter something like "boo hoo i'm depressed, imma go take my xanax ;)"
What are some books that talk about this? And if you think that mental health is serious business, what do you think it's a book that would make me reconsider my stances?
It's honestly baffling, most normies can't seem to withstand a couple of weeks down, i'm at university and for some fucking reason everybody is "i'm depressed, i'm anxious, i'm bipolar" and then they use this to brag about being fucked up in the head, god I fucking hate these people

>> No.19712830
File: 29 KB, 620x465, General.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19712824
You don't need a book to confirm what you believe. Just assert that it's true and move on.

>> No.19712850

try:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-psychiatry
also look up existential psychology which basically says the human condition makes everyone fucked up

>> No.19712896
File: 55 KB, 402x575, vxs0mrzujgy01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19712824
L. Ron Hubbards views on Psychiatry are enlightening, especially in "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health"

>> No.19712905

I guess One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest
But read the play not the actual book unless you're okay with really dense writing

>> No.19712916

>>19712824
>feeling of wanting to punch in the face anybody
typical nigger

>> No.19712922

madness and civilisation by foucault

>> No.19712938

>>19712916
>soi cuck

>> No.19712944

>>19712905
>One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest
>really dense writing
kys

>> No.19712946

F Gardner’s books get into this. Hallucinations are real mental institutions are evil and crazy people are telling the truth in them.

>> No.19712950

The Myth of Mental Illness
Ideology and Insanity
Madness and Civilization

>> No.19712951

>>19712946
*are really demons
I should say

>> No.19712959

>>19712896
Isn't that the scientology guy?

>> No.19712964

>>19712959
yes, indeed

>> No.19712966

>>19712824
Yes
The Myth of Mental Illness by Thomas Szasz
I also read part of a book called Tribe a long time ago, idk who the author is but i think its the one by Sebastian Junger

>> No.19712970

>>19712850
>existential psychology
Never heard of it, gonna look it up

>> No.19712982
File: 1.73 MB, 320x568, 1641353061333.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19712922
>>19712950
Thx lads

>> No.19712987
File: 354 KB, 1587x2048, 1628382172963.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Deleuze

>> No.19712989

R. D. Laing was very critical about the way mental health is diagnosed and treated.
Basically, we know basically nothing about the mind. Mental health institutions are not necessarily evil, just woefully underprepared and lacking in knowledge.
As for the rest of your post, getting mad at that shit is just a waste of time. Once you graduate you'll be able to look back at your university days and realize that they're just big playpens for overgrown teenagers.

>> No.19712992

>>19712824
>schizophrenic people out there that genuinely benefit from being full of drugs
They don't actually. There's enough evidence western psychiatry makes schizophrenics sicker, more often, for longer periods, and diminishes life spans and quality years of life, that the question of whether they can ethically be allowed to continue to do so gets raised every few years in major publications. The alternative though is healthcare industry interests making less money and not being able to sequester people who are psychotic and making others uncomfortable, so it won't change any time soon.
It's important to remember a schizophrenia patient being sicker in more complex ways for longer with more physical health problems adds to GDP.

>> No.19712996

>>19712992
Mental health issues don't get better after your teens, they get worse when you become a grown adult.

>> No.19713000

>>19712996
>>19712989
for you

>> No.19713010

>>19712992
Unmedicated schizophrenics end up on the street.

>> No.19713020

Managing mental illness is done, for the benefit of friends, and family. It is a social good to seek help, and valid bragging about. Even posters on here, can benefit the state of the board by being medicated, well-adjusted people, who love truth, and vanquish their evil illnesses. For the knowbodies it's valuable to monkey see monkey doo each other.

>> No.19713032

>>19712992
Do you remember Terry? I member

>> No.19713035

But yes, there was lots of Communist and Satanic propaganda that has left a lasting impression on EuAmerica's vulnerable. I won't propagate.

>> No.19713036

I think this phenomenon is caused by people framing all feels of fear, dread, paranoia etc. as aberrational or pathological. Western societies radically deny idealism/spirit and so have to frame all psychological pain or confusion as being socially or chemically caused per cultural norms. I think the blunt and spry terms people describe their problems in i.e. "ugh I'm so depressed!"" "just wait til my therapist hears about THIS" "uh oh gotta pop a [drug]" is an implicit admission of people's sense of the inadequacy of rational/scientific treatments for problems that are probably better understood as spiritual. It's like joking about and belittling modern mental health tools (how antiseptic tat sounds) in their failure to be surrogate activities for some kind of quest for meaning or religious cataclysm.
Another disturbing and possibly countervailing trend is the desire to normalize treatment, as in, people that think everyone should have a therapist or be popping pills because "everyone is just depressed and nothing matters lol". Children and teens especially are now espousing this line of thought like they want the nihilation of the spiritual/psychological dimension entirely through mass chicken soup for the soul and drugs

>> No.19713043

>>19712959
Hubbard didn't like Psychiatry because it tries to do the same thing that he wanted to do: control people. His critiques and fears are absolutely spot on, he just happens to want to do the exact same thing and is worried that if some shrink got hold of one of his minions then he'd lose control of them.

>>19712922
>>19712987
Seconding Foucault, his ENTIRE CAREER as a philosopher consisted of swinging around the sword that Dumezil uncovered and shitting on psychiatry. All real critiques of Psychiatry ultimately reference his stuff on the Subject.

>>19713036
>Western societies radically deny idealism/spirit
Literally the opposite is true. The precise problem with Psychiatry is that it treats the physical as ideal, not the other way around. Pharmaceuticals are not a material solution, they are a spiritual one.

>> No.19713046

>>19713043
I should add so that someone doesn't think that I'm a Scientology shill (lol): Hubbard is only more malicious than Psychiatry in that Hubbard was a single person with a very clear goal of what he wanted, meaning he was more capable of leveraging malice against an individual. Psychiatry, as an abstract discipline of control, only ever crops up as an accouterments to some other goal or institution that is using Psychiatry as a tool and almost never for its own sake.

>> No.19713054

>>19713010
No, unmedicated schizophrenics treated by Western doctors wind up in the street. It's a culturally bound outcome which doesn't happen often in other systems, but which regularly happens to the point of correlation upon contact with western psychiatry.
Though the sales reps in those countries do want you to be prepared for that outcome, and to have a nice free pen. They got sued over the nice free pen part when it became obvious they'd grossly misrepresented basically all the atypical antipsychotics risk profile while bribing doctors with free shit. The people who medicate most western psychiatry treated schizophrenics got sued so badly for atypical antipsychotics marketing like yours that it was a bigger settlement than that time BP accidentally all of the Gulf of Mexico. The more medicated a schizophrenia patient, the more likely they are to become a chronic patient across several disciplines. To be honest, if the drug profiles hadn't funnelled the patients towards renal/liver failure, and only caused psychiatric and neurological side effects, nobody would have cared about the terrible outcomes and free pens.

>> No.19713060
File: 22 KB, 300x459, 22a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19713046
filtered

>> No.19713120

There's bullshit in the mental health industry (e.g. overreliance on medication, including too liberal prescription of benzodiazepines like Xanax), but those who think mental health care (including medication and hospitalization) is in itself bullshit probably do not have much experience seeing severe mental illness. People with depression who become severely sleep deprived, stop eating, isolate themselves and eventually attempt suicide. People with manic episodes who spend their life's savings on a whim, risk their health or potentially lives, or hurt others due to the temporary grandiosity, impulsiveness and irritability of mania. People with severe anxiety who completely withdraw from school, work and social life because of something that is treatable. Paranoid schizophrenics who during psychotic episodes literally believe they are being hunted by demons and hurt others or kill themselves in the process of attempting to "escape." Postpartum depression or psychosis leading to child neglect or even infanticide. Anorexics who starve themselves into heart failure and death. You also have catatonia, a state that people with various severe psychiatric conditions (psychosis, severe depression, mania) can enter that can be physically life threatening without intravenous medication.

No, you don't need to be on antidepressant for feeling a bit down for a couple of weeks, and benzodiazepines are generally counterproductive for anxiety disorders, and there is a discussion to be had about the benefits relative to the harms of treating schizophrenics with neuroleptics (especially at higher dosages) during periods between psychotic episodes, but there is a definite need for both hospitalization and medication to be used in some cases.

>> No.19713122

who cares about all these wide-net analysis and conclusions about this or that. at the end of the day people are making decisions that effect their individual lives and you should do the same.

>> No.19713154

>>19712824
Inside an epidemic

Talks about the deleterious effects of psychotropic drugs and our fundamental misunderstanding of the underlying cause of mental "illness"

>> No.19713175

>>19713120
/thread
also
>what’s a book that will confirm my opinion
what’s the point? Read to learn, not to confirm your beliefs

>> No.19713184
File: 19 KB, 400x400, DgaIqOCXcAIw3ig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19713175
>And if you think that mental health is serious business, what do you think it's a book that would make me reconsider my stances?
Learn to read

>> No.19713248

>>19713184
Pretty much any clinical psychiatry textbook is going to include descriptions of the various diagnoses and their symptoms, potential outcomes, effects and evaluation of treatment etc. For something by an author who is critical against overdiagnosis and overtreatment but still very much sees the value of psychiatric care, check out "Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life" by Allen Frances, a psychiatrist who was chairman of the task force that developed one of the earlier versions of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.