[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 331 KB, 1200x675, InOurTime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19638960 No.19638960 [Reply] [Original]

How does one improve it?
>inb4 read more
Not so simple. If you listen to picrel you'll have noticed all the guests are well read but some are incoherent with their ideas (I belong to this group) while others are very much to the point and know how to captivate the audience. Besides voice tonality and cadence, what can I do to become more eloquent?

>> No.19638982

>>19638960
Nothing. Eloquence is either a rigorously and specifically prepared exercise, or a purely intuitive phenomenon.

>> No.19639002

>>19638960
Take a couple of classes about acting at the local college and practice in the mirror. The classes are to improve your speaking ability and practicing is self explanatory

>> No.19639009

I have this same problem when I'm speaking. I've always considered myself a decent writer, but when I speak I struggle to find the right words for the occassion. It doesn't help that I have a completely monotone voice which is incapable of adding drama to my cadence, and also that I speak with a horrible North-English accent.

>> No.19639011

Listen more
Think before you speak
Read more (yes fuck you, read more)
Meditate and practice mindfulness

>> No.19639088

>>19638960
Listen to speakers you find eloquent. Record yourself talking and listen to yourself. Note and make any necessary changes to sound better, record again. Repeat untill you're satisfied. Ideally, you should supplant this with irl interactions with good speakers.

>> No.19639311
File: 85 KB, 640x854, legs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find that through whatever board I interact with, I naturally improve knowledge and skills in the related fields without even realizing it/intending to. Just from posting on 4chan I've improved in writing, fitness, coding, etc. I mention this because I almost posted a similar thread today on the subject of eloquence, but I wasn't sure where to put it. It got me to thinking about how 4chan has incredible potential for people to spiral upwards just by engaging with the communities and absorbing feedback from this cultural organism, yet, like a bodybuilder skipping leg day, leaves the participant awkwardly misshapen in their knowledge and abilities. I spend enough time offline to avoid this effect being extreme, but my good friend who is a wizard is an incredible example of this effect. He has basically maxxed his level on the internet, but he is a retard irl. There isn't a sounding board here for improving manner of speaking and aura of being. If you were to go to a gym and find a frogposter, he might be swole but he will still most likely be autistic and uncomfortable to interact with. My friend has a very monotone voice and gives off doomer energy even when he doesn't mean to. Yes, he can come here for advice, but its unlikely going to metamorphose him into a charismatic character. Unfortunately, he can't tap into the collective intelligence of this forum for phenomena that aren't encoded into its design (i.e., speaking). The only proper advice here for someone seeking to improve those areas is to throw away their electronics and figure it out irl. But honestly, I wish there were a community on the internet that had the history and ethos of 4chan, yet reaches much beyond in its scope to be a kind of all encompassing microcosm of human life. This place is truly a novel and special medium for growth and evolution, but it lacks in its DNA the potential to expand. Until we forge a new frontier, we will always be the guys with big arms and skinny legs.

>> No.19639327

>>19639311
"g-guys how to be eloquent!?"
>Writes a whole paragraph just to say go outside and practice speaking eloquently to real human beans.

>> No.19639722

>>19639327
lmao

>> No.19639853

>>19639327
Loquacity is just as good as eloquence I guess.
Thanks for the tl;dr btw, was not going to read all that shit.

>> No.19640028

>>19639311
good post I agree

>> No.19640068
File: 23 KB, 564x483, 7kbbccbc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>stutter through a conversation with a female at work
>instantly come up with 20 variations of witty banter I could've employed instead of responding like a mentally stunted autismo in my head

>> No.19640371

Episode on industrial revolution, with that hardline Marxist lady was fucking KINO.

>> No.19640577

>>19639009

My Northern accent is fine; a combination of clear speech, decent vocabulary, and hard and flat vowels tend to produce a relatively agreeable accent

I suppose it depends where you're from - Yorkshire works, but NE or Scouse might be more of a challenge

>> No.19641283
File: 379 KB, 435x511, revolvvlvs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19638960

Elegance is coolness; eloquence is warmness.

Be cool like the shore, and warm from the core.

>> No.19641463

>>19638960
You improve by reading good, quality prose. And by practicing speaking after listening to effective orators. In both cases you interrogate precisely what makes them effective. Having high standards helps, too.

One thing I really love about In Our Time is the quality of Melvyn's guests and low tolerance for laziness. It makes you want to read more and perform better.

Does anybody else know any similar shows to In Our Time? Anything at all that's similar...

>> No.19641574

>>19640577
I'm from Leeds. I sound like a yob.

>> No.19642265

>>19639002
I'm a good actor but can't express myself spontaneously for shit.
When I am on stage I have a script I learned by heart, same reason presentations are no issue. But put me in a real conversation and I am just a regular stuttering autist who will spend all night in bed thinking about the things I could've said.