[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 225x300, mental-orgasm-luckytom-225x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1963248 No.1963248 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever read a book and enjoyed it to the extent that you remember the experience as a "mental orgasm"? If so, what was it?

>> No.1963250

Roadside Picnic or Meditations perhaps. Not sure i would describe either experience as orgasmic exactly though.

>> No.1963260

I know this'll make me something of a freak to some (especially here, where shit-tier writers like Bret Easton Ellis and Palahniuk are lauded hourly,) but there are moments when I read Dickens when I am imbued with such a beautiful and tangible sense of life, and just being alive and loving it, enjoying it.

Quite often, it's better than an actual orgasm.

>> No.1963262

>>1963260
Oh, and it lasts longer, too.

>> No.1963264
File: 138 KB, 355x500, chubby_bro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1963260

gay

>> No.1963272

I think the first time I read Nathanael West---particularly A Cool Million----I definitely had that experience. I also had it reading Terry Southern, just because there were moments in various of his books where I was laughing so hard from shock I actually had to put down the book. I guess I'm just partial to really dark satire about America.

>> No.1963278

>>1963260
I like Dickens too but this is absurd romanticized bullshit go the fuck away you're one of those people who contributes to us not being able to discuss books and instead just fucking post horseshit about "how it made us feel," and "shit-tier authors" give me a fucking break you're smart and sensitive enough to get all that whole sensation from a Dickens novel but your callous enough to group together works into "tiers."

>> No.1963282

>>1963278
Sometimes people use phrases ironically.

Now you know.

>> No.1963297

>>1963282
That's some top-notch trolling there, friend, if I believed it at all.

>> No.1963301

the ending of The Grapes of Wrath

>> No.1963305

>>1963282
Oh wow, you really told that idiot tripfag!

>> No.1963311

nope...

definitely some highly enjoyable emotions, but nothing I would compare to an orgasm.

An orgasm is a pure storm of joy coupled with the momentary loss of control. As man, literature never could excite me that much condensed in a small enough time frame to give me anything comparable to that. Quite the opposite, the amount of constant, steady attention I need to really enjoy a text prohibits me from having any experience that would be like a sudden, mental explosion that makes my head jerk backwards and leaves me with paining muscles.

>> No.1963340

I dunno know it can be considered a "mental orgasm," but when I read The Martian Chronicles while killing time on a business trip in a Princeton, New Jersey library, it was close.

I would be able to say the same about Solaris, but I watched the movie before reading the book and it kind of spoiled it. Not to subtract from the movie (it's my favorite sci-fi film), it's just that the concept was already in my head by the time I got around to the book. It wasn't as mind blowing.

>> No.1963349

Reading Alan Moore's Promethea was like a good Trip. Don't know about orgasming though.

>> No.1963354

I jammed a copy of Ginsberg's Howl up my ass and it gave me a prostate climax, does that count?

>> No.1963359

>>1963354
Yes. Yes it does.

Wait--only if you "screamed with joy."

>> No.1963510

Ending part of dune were the tribal guys ride in to kick ass on their steeds.