[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 221 KB, 454x454, 1639383241994.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19567340 No.19567340 [Reply] [Original]

I've been reading more fiction recently but i have trouble talking about it beyond simple approval or disapproval. I'm not necessarily asking for books on literary criticism, but tips you guys have for reading texts more deeply/getting more out of what you read. I can talk about particular plot points, themes, character development, etc. but i feel like i can never form a coherent whole or take it beyond just stating what happens i.e. do actual analysis.
Any ideas, or am i just too autistic for literature?

>> No.19567348

>>19567340
what is actual analysis to you

>> No.19567349

if u like anime enough to use it as your avatar you're probably not bright enough. just go back to watching cartoons.

>> No.19567381

>>19567340
most criticism isn't really conversation worthy imo. what you're really looking for are connections between what you read and common experience (i.e common to the people you're speaking to). this requires nothing more than a little time set aside to think about what you have read and how it relates or illuminates your life. writing short essays can then help you put the words in order so that your thoughts come out eloquently when prompted.

>> No.19567398

>>19567340
Decide which variables you think make a good story and see if they met it, what drove the story along the most. Philosophy helps a lot

>> No.19567487

>>19567340
Unironically, make threads about the shit you read and argue with people.

>> No.19567625

>>19567340
firstly, don't fall into this kind of retardation:
>>19567398
that's some videogame idiot who wants to know if the graphics are a 6/10 or a 7/10. actual criticism is actually just a form of creative writing in itself, with another work as a starting point. if you're well-read and articulate you should be able to link the text you're talking about to other works, other subjects, your own experience etc and fashion these associations into a kind of secondary artwork which not so much illuminates as uses the text discussed for its own purpose. if you're not inventive enough for that you'll be stuck "breaking things down" into "tropes" and "arcs" and "themes" like all those creatively barren youtube "reviewers."
tl;dr: you make shit up

>> No.19567764

>>19567340
Joyce Carol Oates is good - not the best, but good - and she is a prolific writer of literary criticism (and everything else).

Peruse her articles and look for something that interests you. She has written about many of the writers whose names are bandied on this board. Read it, or several, and you will learn something. Then go on from there.

Read Paglia, 'Burn Blow', a very readable but good intro to understanding poetry.

Read the book reviews in the better magazines and periodicals. You'll learn something from those, too. Some critics have an amazing skill at packing a lot of insight into a short review.

Read things that interest you, so you can enjoy the learning process instead of having it be a chore.

>> No.19567794

>>19567340
>am I le autistic
You anime retards want to be unique and quirky so bad, you try and borderline diagnose yourself with a life long condition. You try too hard to fit in.
>le 4chanz otizm tehee
seek help

>> No.19567867

>>19567625
You sound continental but then end up criticizing the basis of continentalism.
The definition of a good story is understood by some variable itself - not links to other works w some pseudo narrative relationship between them.
Anyways if you make shit up you should "make it up" based on the story itself and what it tries to achieve.