[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 86 KB, 485x358, dhdfh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1955148 No.1955148 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I'm currently reading "The Soft Machine" by William S. Burroughs and I'm enjoying it, to an extent. As with Naked Lunch, the imagery is often brilliant, and I love the descriptions of little, fucked up, South American shanty towns. The main problem I find with this book is that 90% of it is written using the cut up technique. This isn't much of an issue, I can still absorb the information being relayed, it just takes more effort to read. So basically, what other authors out there could I read if I'm looking for similar themes, ideas, and imagination, but less of the cut up technique?

>> No.1955156

You shouldn't read cut ups with a lot of effort..kind of ruins the effect..you just sort of ''scan'' them..anyway, I would like to know the answer to your question as well because I have failed to find any author that is like W.S. Burroughs--even though he he is *highly* derivative of the pulp genres and supposedly influential--it seems that somehow through his own personal teleos, he transcends both his influences and those who were influenced by him.

>> No.1955161
File: 74 KB, 221x208, Picture 10.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i've been drinking for close to ten hours now and i've had enough but I know I'm just goigntocontinue tomorrow and maybe go through a pack of marlboro

>> No.1955187

>>1955156
Perhaps you're right.. I just get more enjoyment out of reading chapters like "The Mayan Caper." This still isn't to say that I dislike the cut-up parts. It is still saturated with brilliance.

>> No.1955200

>>1955156

It's also kind of frustrating to think that his work is incomparable to others. Once I finish his oeuvre I wont know where to go next. Although I'm sure I'll survive.

>> No.1955203

>>1955200
You could try reading Jean Genet next, I don't think they have a lot in common, but there is some continuity between them..and JG Ballard seems at times to channel Burroughs, but never really makes it, if you ask me..in fact, I would say JG Ballard is probably the closest writer to Burroughs I can think of.

>> No.1955216

>>1955203

I actually tried to pick up the Atrocity Exhibition awhile back but it wasn't at my library at the time. I sort of forgot about it; but I'll be sure check it out in the future.

>> No.1955220

>>1955216
That one to me actually sucked big time--I would suggest ''Crash'' or his short stories instead.

>> No.1955226

On a semi-related note, I tried reading some Kathy Acker a couple months ago, "Blood and Guts in High School" to be specific. Apparently Burroughs was a big influence on her. I thought the book was alright, occasionally it was brilliant but it reeked of so much angst that it detracted from my enjoyment.