[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 63 KB, 512x377, 00899A59-1806-4317-9418-EFF7183A3154.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19551340 No.19551340 [Reply] [Original]

Is this the absolute most patrician book to ever have been written?

>> No.19551342

>>19551340
No,

>> No.19551344

>>19551342
Then what is faggot? Because I can’t think of anything more exit level than this

>> No.19551350

>>19551344
>you have to qualify your opinion but i am not going to qualify mine
ok.

>> No.19551357

>>19551350
Not OP, but the burden of proof is clearly on you.

>> No.19551366

>>19551357
No it's not, he asked a simple yes or no question and got a simple answer.

>> No.19551391
File: 91 KB, 645x973, E0-N0ZvXsAMYq7O.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

BRUH THIS IS SOME EPIC BACON TIER EXIT LEVEL SHIT

>> No.19551580

>>19551340
Has this ever been deciphered? It’s about time now that we have AI right? But come to think of it, SHOULD it be deciphered and sullied by normie and worse yet — let me cover my nose — academics? And can already imagine the paper titles
>Voynich manuscript and gender
>women in the Voynich manuscript
Etc.
Yeah, best to leave it as it is…

>> No.19551591
File: 190 KB, 1220x771, 2c6e3217ee97ced52b3c29f2836cb10e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19551340
no

>> No.19551696

>>19551580
Nope. I followed the deciphering for a while, it's quite hopeless, but fun seeing what nonsense people can come up with while trying to explain it.
But desu even if it's merely a fake, it's a pretty interesting fake. However you spin it, it deserves curiosity.
"AI" can't wipe its own ass, it's not deciphering this shit any time soon.

>> No.19552040

>>19551340
>>19551591
Imagine if this is some ancient version of SCP-Foundation?

>> No.19552657

>>19551591
So it’s the codex then?

>> No.19552665

>>19551591
That pic on the right is kino

>> No.19552980

>>19551342
What is then, in your opinion?

>> No.19553129

>>19551580
>Has this ever been deciphered? It’s about time now that we have AI right? But come to think of it, SHOULD it be deciphered and sullied by normie and worse yet — let me cover my nose — academics? And can already imagine the paper titles
A bunch of flowers and plants are shown in the illustrations.
There’s also what appears to be a pangolin illustrated.
There are also a bunch of pictures of naked women.

While there are multiple species of Pangolins, the species are only found in Sub-Saharan Africa and in Asia, from India thru to China and SouthEast Asia.
The geographical range of the species might have been wider in the past, but I doubt excessively so.

Currently, Pangolin scales are used in traditional Chinese medicine.
> The Squama Manitis (pangolin scale) is a medicinal material in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), commonly used to promote lactation in women and reduce swelling
> Fresh scales are never used, but dried scales are roasted, ashed, cooked in oil, butter, vinegar, boy's urine, or roasted with earth or oyster-shells, to cure a variety of ills. Amongst these are excessive nervousness and hysterical crying in children, women possessed by devils and ogres, malarial fever and deafness.
The manuscript parchment has been dated to the early 1400s using carbon dating.
> The linguist Jacques Guy once suggested that the Voynich manuscript text could be some little-known natural language, written plaintext with an invented alphabet. He suggested Chinese in jest, but later comparison of word length statistics with Vietnamese and Chinese made him view that hypothesis seriously.[70] In many language families of East and Central Asia, mainly Sino-Tibetan (Chinese, Tibetan, and Burmese), Austroasiatic (Vietnamese, Khmer, etc.) and possibly Tai (Thai, Lao, etc.), morphemes generally have only one syllable;[71] and syllables have a rather rich structure, including tonal patterns. Other intriguing similarities are the apparent division of the year into 360 degrees of the ecliptic (rather than 365 days), in groups of 15 and starting with Pisces, which are features of the Chinese agricultural calendar (èr shí sì jié qi, 二十四节气/節氣).
There are also castles depicted in the manuscript, which have swallow tail crenellations, which correspond to a type used in Northern Italy, as well as Russia, and maybe Persia.
The use of Pangolin for medicine, and the structure of the text both fit with “Asia” as a source.
There were Christian Missionaries and Western Traders in Asia at the time,
As well as educated individuals like monks and Clergy,
who were inventing new scripts to write languages that did not have writing systems, which could explain the parchment codex form.

>> No.19553151

>>19552980
No clue, just not this. These sorts of texts while aesthetically pleasing always turn out banal and are quickly forgotten once decoded or proven a fake. Voynich is just one of the last remaining in a long line.

>> No.19553163

>>19553151
Which are some other coded texts of this sort?

>> No.19553246
File: 165 KB, 1184x571, solved.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19551340
>>19553129
Kantbot solved it, it was a revolutionary fraud.

>> No.19553263

>>19553163
Wikipedia probably has a list. A great number of such books surfaced during the 19th century fueled by Victorian Occultism, lots of fakes, bunch of occult larps, most that turn out to be genuine turn out to not be in code, just a forgotten obscure language or variation. There is a pretty good book on the topic, name escapes me at the moment, perhaps some anon knows it, all about these mystery books, their history and the myths which build up around them.

>> No.19553323

>>19553246
I understand that carbon dating has issues, but the testing on the manuscript was done in 2009, in Arizona.
The parchment was supposedly consistent in date thru out, and came back as dating to the early 1400s.
Radiocarbon dating post dates this Gadfly story.
The Carbon Dating was done significantly later as well.
The only way this could be a forgery, is if Voynich acquired pristine unused parchment, in enough quantity to to produce an entire book,( maybe 90 square feet of parchment).
Being able to acquire this much matching parchment, of a consistent date, that has never been used, seems highly improbable even for a high end rare bookseller.
Also,
There are much more desirable things to counterfeit if someone had this type of parchment.

>> No.19553356

This article points to the Eastern Baltic or Russian territory do to some of the illustrations.
http://voynichbirths.blogspot.com/2014/09/castles-in-voynich.html?m=1

>> No.19553463

>>19553356
Another thing to point out about this article.
Saint Stephen pf Perm, was a fourteenth century missionary who converted the Komi people of what is now Russia to Christianity.
When he travelled to the region, he developed a custom script to write the local language in, rather than adapting a more common script.
Stephen is credited with inventing the “Old Permic Script” which is sometimes called “Abur or Anbur”.
This happened sometime around 1370, which isn’t that much earlie than the Voynich Manuscript has been dated.
Saint Stephen’s conversion of the Komi people also caused the tribute the people were paying to be switched from Novgorod to Moscow.
If money was involved, there may have been other “missionaries” sent on missions to other areas, for the same purpose, and using the same techniques.

>> No.19553773

>>19553323
Reminds me of that Borges story about the made up country

>> No.19554019

>>19551391
why did i laugh at a bog standard 'jak post

>> No.19554112

>>19553323
>caring what obese jew #564,114 has to say
lol

Anyways, it's written by someone who isn't used to writing in that script. We can tell because certain characters show up only once in the entire manuscript. There's no obvious breaks between words, so entire pages were written at a time. This means that the author(s) either knew what they were writing, OR had mockup prepared that they were copying from. Secondly, at some points it uses ciphers (numerous words repeat in characteristic patterns, like "orororororororororor"); whether these are of words or numbers is uncertain, they could be using letters to represent numbers. Thirdly, the alphabet uses a structure like Greek or Arabic where a letter's position (beginning, middle, or end) in a word can change its form, so they were probably a Westerner.

Fourthly, there seems to be conjugation or declension. For comparison, we can very easily make out grammatical markers in other undeciphered languages (Etruscan, Linear A, previously the various IE Anatolian languages). However, it seems that it's basically impossible to discern what these suffixes/prefixes actually do because they don't show up regularly. The fact that there even appears to be two different languages in the book at one point makes this even harder.

It's probably a composite work encoding various alchemical and occult subjects via several ciphers. The author(s) probably used different encoding methods, possibly in different orders. They also almost certainly had some kind of key, possibly even in the book itself (itself double-encoded), for the illustrations, because many of the plants are composite (flowers of plant A, roots of B, leaves of C, etc).

>> No.19554167

>>19551340
No, it's just some old alchemy book. It was common practice for alchemy books to be written in code just for the part, and one guy just took it way too far

>> No.19554687

>>19551580
>>19551696
>>19553129
People were very fond of using ciphers back then so I imagine it's just a heap of ciphers applied haphazardly.

None of the content/illustrations seems special (despite what is sometimes said). Just a book on known medicine.

>>19553129
>The use of Pangolin for medicine, and the structure of the text both fit with “Asia” as a source.
Not really. Europeans would be well aware of it by then and possibly used it themselves.

Statistical analysis of heavily encrypted text, which may also be in shorthand, isn't going to yield anything that can tell you about the language. If it isn't just random gibberish, then it would likely be Latin. People still didn't write vernacular languages down in full texts very often at the time it was supposedly written. Some European languages only have full texts in the 1600s.

>who were inventing new scripts to write languages that did not have writing systems, which could explain the parchment codex form.
If they were Catholic, they would just use Latin script and modify it as needed. This is what they always did.

The fact that it's in a different script is noteworthy though. It means it was intentional, perhaps to make it look uneuropean and therefore interesting. But it could also be a shorthand script. Of course, the script is clearly very much like Latin and Greek scripts as is the hand.

>> No.19554695

>>19553463
It's just modified Cyrillic though