[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 540x405, 1280851812666.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1954944 No.1954944 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, I seem to enjoy almost every book I read. Granted, I haven't read a whole lot of them, not when comparing numbers with a /lit/ resident, I'd guess, but still.

Is this considered bad? Does this make me stupid in my inability to differ good from bad? Of course there were books I started reading and thought unbearable, but mostly I can enjoy anything.

I'm unsure whether this is a nice thing or not. I feel somewhat stupid, and I regret my tendency not to truly analyse literature, but I also feel partly blessed that I can be so easily entertained.

Thoughts?

Picture not related in any relevant way.

>> No.1954960

I wish I was you

>> No.1954962

I'm the same way, except I don't get far enough into the ones I dislike to say why I didn't like them. I'm just not afraid to stop reading in the middle if I'm bored. I do the same thing with movies.

>> No.1954964

You should be happy that you enjoy yourself so often.

I used to be like that when I was younger, but the older I got and the more I read, the harder I got to please.

>> No.1954970

I'd say it's a nice thing. Just go with it, OP. Anyone who doesn't read books (especially) primarily for enjoyment is doing it wrong.

>> No.1954972

I used to be the same way as you OP, it just seemed that no matter what I read, I could just enjoy it. I love reading anything from high fantasy to crime to sci-fi to historical fiction, even kids/teenage books I love (some of those books still have the best imaginative worlds).

As long as it has a good story, good characters and a good writing style, you honestly can't go wrong.

Then it happened one day, about eight or so years after I started reading properly (i.e outiwth education and for my own pleasure). I read... a bad book.

It was by the author GP Taylor, I've read two of his books as I bought them both at the same time. Mr Taylor is a Reverend, and boy does it show. His characters go through the story until they learn what it is to be good people, that they have to put their faith into one thing and they'll be rewarded for their faith and that anyone who doesn't except said faith shall live a horrid unlovedlifeblah blah blah.

His stories started out promising until it delved into preachy religious bullcrap.

Another one I read was the 'Percy Jackson' series. First book was fun, it's a kids book, so I gave that a lot of lee-way... until later books when stories, subplots and characters who appeared had no explanation whatever. One character would appear and it'd be a huge cliffhanger. Then next thing you know, they're just chillin and there's no exposition on how they got there, they're just doing their thing.

Very bad writing in terms of character and so I lost faith with that. Also one of the few times, the film was better than the book.

>> No.1954974

>>1954970

*Especially fiction

>> No.1954985

Oh gosh, pardon this outpouring of personal jibba jabba, but you've really pinpointed a reoccurring feeling in my life OP. Not about books, but about most everything else. Comes into focus when I'm around other people mostly. They'll pass judgements I never even thought to make, while I just observe the world around me like a wide-eyed babby with no remarks beyond "interesting" and "uninteresting". I hear myself doing it all the time, calling people I love "interesting" rather than beautiful or lovable, my favorite books are "interesting", I like music because it is "interesting". It's by no means a central tragedy in my life, or, I imagine, a remotely unique trait, but it does occasionally make me feel stupid when I'm around others. (It's a silly thing to feel stupid over, though, so the feeling passes quickly.)

Now I'm real curious whether other folks on /lit/ feel similarly.

Uhhh...Anyway, don't feel dumb, OP. The journey is the enjoyable part. You can delve deep into something and just pick apart its elements for exploration's sake; you don't have to pronounce something as either golden or shit when you're through with it to make your understanding or enjoyment official. Or you can just glide blithely along through everything you read--what's it matter, really? Ain't no reason you should have to experience books the same way other people experience books if you don't want to.

>> No.1954992

>>1954985
I can relate to this, especially the part about people.

>> No.1954993

if you enjoy everything you read, why would that be a problem. thing of it inversely, what if every book you read you thought was horrible and a waste of time?

enjoy yourself above anything

>> No.1955082

>>1954992

Just one person! haha. Well, I'm sure plenty of people feel how I have described in some way or another. Unless I really am that out of touch.