[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.15 MB, 3840x2160, Thomas-Metzinger-Quote-The-Ego-is-a-transparent-mental-image-You.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19543163 No.19543163 [Reply] [Original]

metzinger & ligotti, are there others?
I think this is a real information hazard. you could really lose your mind thinking about this stuff. I have only touched it, and it was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. this is a serious path to go down.

>> No.19543265
File: 213 KB, 600x1363, THE ATHEIST DELUSION.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I think this is a real information hazard. you could really lose your mind thinking about this stuff. I have only touched it, and it was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. this is a serious path to go down.

>> No.19544364
File: 360 KB, 906x700, -.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19543265
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

>> No.19544644
File: 238 KB, 1325x441, vedicself.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19543163

Meditations by Descartes. But he ends up proving the self exists.

When you read these ideas, who gets terrified of them?

I think what is really sad is people like Metzinger being recognized as intellectuals or as being of importance in the field. It's truly mind boggling. He's such a hack. I read his Ego Tunnel. It's poetry. There's nothing of substance. It actually annoys me alot people can get away with shit like that. Like fuck.

Ligotti is just self-contradicting; basically you suffer and you lie to yourself but you also don't exist. I know he reconciles these two by saying the paradox is inherent to reality or whatever but I think it's evident that's just plain old sophistry or trivialism. I want to give him a hug

>> No.19544689

>>19544644
>basically you suffer and you lie to yourself but you also don't exist.
Are you sure you have read this book? He agrees with Buddhists sense of no self but he is still holding on to last chain that suffering. It is too real for him to let go. Metzinger just said that how fragile our sense of self who could changed after some physical accidents so this change diminish any possibility of an "eternal" or solid sense of self. And this self is the greatest weight and creates a shitshow due to its inflated ego and through this bullshit called self we experience all suffering this is why it is a MALIGNANTLY USELESS. Yes self is an illusion but very painful one. Ligotti one time admitted that he would prefer an ego dead society if life should continue.

>> No.19544690

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

>> No.19544709

>>19543163
Beckett's Company.

>> No.19544750

>>19544689

I mean he's just stupid or what; who suffers? The Self. Who (or "what" if you prefer) thinks it's an illusion? The Self. The inconstant self (or Ship Of Theseus) throughout time is easily explainable in 4 dimension btw. People change through time. That's just normal. Is it the "sense of self" that changes or how you (the Self) express the Self (express yourself)? The "physical accident" angle he takes just adds as a parallel the whole free-will/materialist debate, which is just another issue of it's own.

The Self is not an illusion. Pain is an illusion. Fear is an illusion.

>> No.19544776

>>19544750
>I mean he's just stupid or what
You're honestly who haven't read his book but still sharing his opinion. Sorry I am ESL and I am missing a lot nuance and butchering his arguments so read the book for yourself.

>> No.19544780

>>19544776

No it's fine bro. He's just wrong :-/. Take care