[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 319x400, 2387715183_92af6b5022_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1954245 No.1954245 [Reply] [Original]

What's /lit/'s opinion on Slaughterhouse-Five or this man in general?

What would be a good book to start from?

>> No.1954246
File: 89 KB, 240x233, Picture 9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What would be a good book to start from?
Slaughterhouse-Five.

>> No.1954255

welp, this is how he rated his own books:

* Player Piano: B
* The Sirens of Titan: A
* Mother Night: A
* Cat's Cradle: A-plus
* God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
* Slaughterhouse-Five: A-plus
* Welcome to the Monkey House: B-minus
* Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
* Breakfast of Champions: C
* Slapstick: D
* Jailbird: A
* Palm Sunday: C

>> No.1954261

Not worth reading if you're over the age of 17 or so.

>> No.1954265

>>1954261

how so?

>> No.1954270

>>1954245
I liked some of the themes (temporal eternalism mainly) but overall I thought it was a shit book. He appeals very much to a certain demographic that is prevalent on 4chan though.

>> No.1954846

Breakfast of Champions is my favorite Vonnegut work.

>> No.1954847

I see the merit in his personal account of the Dresden fire bombings, of the effects of war, or perhaps the lack of care nature has for war. The only book of his I could enjoy though, the only one that seemed, I guess, analytical of mankinds lot. Perhaps I didn't read his other works with an open enough mind, it was been many years.

>> No.1954865

The book wasn't memorable for me at all. I read it a year ago and only remember bits and pieces. I think the problem was that the book has been so overhyped that I expected more than it has to offer. I've certainly read more memorable books that were worse though.

Breakfast of Champions was so gimmicky that I couldn't make it through the first 50 pages. Maybe Vonnegut just isn't for me.

>> No.1954925

>>1954865
>Maybe Vonnegut just isn't for me.
No, if you don't like him he is a terrible author. That's the way it works.

>> No.1954929

I've only read two of his works: Slaughterhouse-Five and Breakfast of Champions.

I loved Slaughterhouse-Five, I thought Breakfast of Champions was not that good.

>> No.1955044

I read the book all at once last night and loved it.

>> No.1955051

I disliked slaughterhouse five. if you sacrifice fluidity of plot just to emphasize what a pussy the main character is, when you had done five flashback/forwards before the one you just did, you're doing something wrong. the aliens had no real purpose, and I didn't like the main character.

vonnegut's writing technically excellent though.

>> No.1955056
File: 7 KB, 225x252, 1287903543081.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>everyone in this thread has only read BoC and Slaughterhouse.
>haven't read Cat's Cradle
>haven't read Mother Night
>haven't read Sirens of Titan

>> No.1955059

>>1954255
Welcome to the Monkey House is dire.

>> No.1955072

Breakfast of Champions is not for everyone. I like Vonnegut, but BoC was tough to get through.

Slaughterhouse 5 was decent, way to over hyped imo.

Sirens of Titan is awesome.
Cats Cradle is awesome.
Read those, if you dont like them, you wont like any of the others.

>> No.1955073

OP should read Cat's Cradle.

>> No.1955078

So it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goesSo it goes

there. now you read it.

>> No.1955079

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQnAhSzb4gY