[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 437 KB, 1600x1595, grrm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19485023 No.19485023 [Reply] [Original]

A Dance with Dragons came out ten years ago and he still refuses to finish writing the rest of the series for some autistic reason.

>> No.19485092

maybe he realised it sucked ass and decided to renounce evil

>> No.19485118

>he still refuses to finish writing the rest of the series for some autistic reason.
Do people really not understand? He doesn't want to finish because he doesn't know where to go. He didn't plan any of this out.

>> No.19485120

>>19485023
Have you ever once in your life failed to complete something that you fully intended to complete?
No?
It must be nice to have you level of dedication. You must be a millionaire already with your work ethic.

>> No.19485152

>>19485120
Nice excuses, GRRM.

>> No.19485157

>>19485120
I've never failed to complete something that tons of other people were depending on me for

>> No.19485159

He's out of ideas. Like me with my masters thesis.

>> No.19485180

>>19485118
You can plan stuff out and still sort of become perplexed at what grows.

Also he's written tons. Fire and Blood, for example.

>> No.19485193

>>19485157
Tons of people never relied on your for anything in your life. Stop pretending.
But entertaining your point: What does the amount of people change? Does having more people at your back magically give you the tenacity you need to follow through? There's an argument to be made that the pressure of expectation can cause a sort of mental paralysis. As the bar is set so high that nothing you create feels "right" anymore. So you don't know what to do. And so you distract yourself with other tasks as a means to avoid that feeling.

>> No.19485232

>>19485120
No I haven't faggot. Especially when that something results in a source of my income.

>> No.19485244

>>19485193
I mean define tons. Millions like him? Obviously not. I work in the healthcare industry and I've certainly had tens/hundreds of people rely on me where if I fucked something up or just kept procrastinating and not doing my job it would have cost a ton of time, money, and possibly lives. There's a number of different routes he could take and I'm sure over the decades he's thought of almost one of them. An inability to just choose something definitely deserves derision, even an ending that doesn't necessarily tie up all loose ends but from a literary standpoint ends the story for the reader. It's not like he can just come back to it later in his life, that man's hamburger away from a coronary.

>> No.19485247

>>19485232
Wow, so then you're a millionaire? If not, then why not?

>> No.19485273

>>19485247
Yeah

>> No.19485274

>>19485023

I think he honestly was getting quite close before the final season, maybe 2 seasons of the show dropped and he saw the horrific reaction.

For as bad as Benioff and Weiss fucked up, on some level George must fear that what he intends to write is plot-wise not very different. He fears putting out something that he’s already seen a version of be hated by the public, and it’s messing with his psyche.

Along those same lines, he’s probably trying to see what changes he can make to the ending based on what didn’t go over well in season 8 while not contradicting all his earlier books, which is a massive task depending on what he’s planning.

>> No.19485291

>>19485244
>I work in the healthcare industry and I've certainly had tens/hundreds of people rely on me where if I fucked something up or just kept procrastinatin
That's fair enough. But failing to provide proper medical care is by far more important than failing to finish telling a story. Being creative is not the same thing. It's more loose. You have far more decisions to make. You have to weigh your ideas against others to see which one is the best. And then you have to form your ideas in such as to make it appealing to consumers.

>>19485273
Good for you then. So you're set up for life, I take it. What reason do you continue working?

>> No.19485298

>>19485023
It's the smugness. He does this knowing laugh every time he's asked a question. I genuinely think he can't write anymore because he spends all day congratulating himself and laughing at his own jokes.

>> No.19485318

>>19485023
Who cares anymore? Can you imagine any other writer who's given a global millions of readership literally begging for the next book and instead you plod about the world stage doing interviews and soaking up the attention instead of writing the damn thing?
Also let's be real: the bloke is in his early seventies, fat as Jab the Hutt, and he can't have too many years left in him. Maybe he's got bank and he's sailing out of this world in a storm of pork and mead.

>> No.19485433
File: 96 KB, 870x1024, 1571911443428.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19485118
He loosely planned it out and went off the rails because he couldn't work in the 5-year time jump that was supposed to happen. Now, under a tonne of pressure, he leans on his only topnotch talent as a writer (world-building) alongside stress eating--neither of which bode well for him ever finishing the series.

I'm not a big fan of the books but I've enjoyed them as junk food between quality reads. I don't really care if he never completes ASOIF. However, if I were a fan I'd be pretty pissed by the fact he hasn't named a literary executor let alone a writer to take over when he inevitably croaks before finishing it.

>> No.19485436

>>19485291
Because I enjoy what I do, apparently unlike Martin, even though his job is literally to amuse himself

>> No.19485821
File: 54 KB, 640x428, CtnRt1QWEAAMF6U.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19485118
It was somewhat planned. The only reason he does not write is the loss of ownership he feels due to selling out his artistic vision, and it turning out shit.

Sure the show began quite well, but they began taking liberties very early on and gradually became a parody by the end. If you have never played ttrpgs or something similar, it is immensely damaging to have others destroy what you write or completely ignore, rewrite and at times work against you.

Couple that with vast amounts of the population believing it was a cannonical ending and you have a large, obese man (already a redflag for selfishness and poor emotional control) who has discarded a project after another raped it.

Good riddance. The American Tolkien my hoop.