[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 382 KB, 1371x1600, Plato-portrait-bust-original-Capitoline-Museums-Rome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19427979 No.19427979 [Reply] [Original]

Which is the dialogue in which Plato explains his Theory of Forms in the most complete and systematic way?

>> No.19427988

>>19427979
Phaedo, Republic, Timaeus.

>> No.19427990

>>19427979
Plotinus/Proclus do the best

>> No.19428025

>>19427979
Read Phaedo, Republic, Sophist, Parmenides.

>> No.19428060

>>19427979
The problem is, as you might be able to guess from the various different responses, Plato spread his ideas of the Theory of Forms across a variety of dialogues.
I think one way of understanding this is that for Plato, the Theory of Forms is an overarching one that is the culmination of his philosophical beliefs or endeavours. As such, with every dialogue, the understanding of it is progressed, or different aspects are explored, or specific premises which underlie the Theory of Forms are discussed.

I would suggest that the most "complete" description of the Theory of Forms is set out in The Republic. However, the truth is, you are going to be missing out on Plato's full philosophical insights on the Theory of Forms by not reading other works such as Parmenides (specifically addresses arguments against the forms and expands on Plato's understandings of it), Gorgias (focus is on rhetoric / truth, however the notions are nonetheless applicable and relevant with regards to the Forms), Meno (concept of recollection & eternal souls as a backdrop to the Platonic Forms being inset in every individual at birth), etc.

I hope this answer helps provide some response to your query.