[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 75 KB, 400x305, pepe having a comfy coffee.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19423595 No.19423595 [Reply] [Original]

How do you like to read your poetry, specially your favourite poems?
I used to read while waiting for buses but realize it spoils my experience since you focus on the time not as much as in the words.

It has been three days since I am reading Eliot's The Waste Land before sleep. I'm ASL so the poem is quite difficult for me.

Today I am suffering from mild symptons of flu and reading Eliot again is going quite nice to cope with it.
I just chose an youtube video with Eileen Atkins and Jeremy Irons, and I listen to them as I read. Yesterday I listening to Alec Guiness audio.

I highly recommend to read as you listen to it being performed. Quite enhances the experience.
That's it frens

>> No.19423737
File: 3.85 MB, 1000x1000, 1635502297012.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think nobody will read this but here it goes.
The Waste Land is a very sad poem, because it shows how much modernity took a piece of comfort away from us. And in a way this work is prophetic.

Eliot opens the poem talking about the sprouting lilacs in April, naming it the cruelest month for bringing life from the winter death.
At the same time, he tells us winter keep us warm, and indeed winter is a time of commensality for most families.
But we soon learn he is not talking about the present, but a past were this character Marie spent her youth at the archeduke's.
So yeah, the beginning of the poem is about what we've lost. After the war things were never the same.

In the second part we see the story of this woman that does her best to please her husband sexually. The man was for years in the army and lusting for sex, possibly shocked by his experiences. A loveless and unhappy relationship.

That's what we've become, Anon.
We had our times in the ignorance of youth, but we grew cynical in a vain world.
Sad it is.

Or maybe my interpretation of the poem is bullshit.

>> No.19424126

>>19423737
Thank you for sharing anon

>> No.19424232

>>19423595
I like to read it outside in nature on my downtime. I enjoy really cliche poetic settings for reading, I guess. I've been working through a poetry collection by James Wright. He's got a somewhat similar feel to Eliot, mixing really sentimental traditional poetry with a bleak vision of modern industrial life. He's much more grounded in the experience of working class people though, so it hits closer to home (at least for me, being a Rust belt fag).

>> No.19424292

>>19423595
I practice my handwriting by transcribing poems i think are nice.

>> No.19424810

>>19423595
Nice anon, personally I like Yeats because of the autumnal feel he gives off, I do agree that Eliot is like no other

>> No.19425126
File: 1.77 MB, 1080x1082, 1634405444183.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm still working my way through a bunch of books, but I've got Eliot on my reading list. I can't wait to get to The Wasteland, I've heard nothing but good things about it :)

I know it's his most popular, but I love Prufrock to death, quite possibly my favourite poem (atm) :)

>> No.19425155
File: 179 KB, 700x695, FW09893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19423595
was the Guinness audio from picrel album? i like that recording a lot

>> No.19425182

I like reading it aloud by myself with a raspy voice and an RP accent

>> No.19425440

im still my favorite poet and i know its because i havent read enough but also either the ones ive read havent ignited enough further interest or i just dont know where to go. after myself, i enjoy the diamonds in the rough ive found over the years in the poetry threads and ive collected many an anons poetry. outside of those, heres some others i enjoy

>The Leaden Echo and the Golden Echo - Gerard Manley Hopkins
>A Poem about Moths/Kidneys/Jellyfish - Karl Pilkington
>Nothing in That Drawer - Ron Padgett
>The Ballad of Longwood Glen - Nabokov
>Fungi from Yuggoth - Lovecraft

>> No.19425472

>>19423595
This is pretty much a must for anyone reading The Waste Land:
https://eliotswasteland.tripod.com/
>I know, who's been to a tripod site in the last 10 years?
Seriously though: this is the kind of exegesis and context that I was hoping the internet would bring to the classics of literature...and it never did, except in this lone case. /lit/ should make it a task of the board to create enhanced versions of texts like this.

>> No.19425562

I open the book and fucking read it man

>> No.19425888

>>19425440
>im still my favorite poet
well why don't you post some of your poems?

>> No.19425941

>>19424232
I used to do this a lot. I remember taking a translation of Tagore's poems and sitting under a tree in a "secret grove" I have 1km away from where I live. I wasn't supposed to be in that place since it is a nature reservation. But it feels good. You finish a poem, then you gaze at the trees and see birds peacefully working on their efforts of survival in the wild.
Suddenly you are not only reading poems. Suddenly you are part of the poem.

Modern urban landscapes don't allow us to see ourselves as the protagonists of our lives.

>> No.19425953

>>19425155
I have no idea which album it comes from, it is basically one of the first videos it will appear when you search for "The Waste Land T.S. Eliot" on YT. I do recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcj4G45F9pw

Although I must say Atkins/Irons felt more dynamic.

>>19425472
Oh thanks! I was looking for an annotated version of it. I actually downloaded a pdf but having to go to the end of the page and see footnotes longer than the poem itself was a bummer. Overexplaining poetry kills the feeling.
That is why, for now I am reading it without any explanation, trying to figure it out on my own way. Each time I read, I realize a new thing. But I think tonight I will read this version of yours, seems quite nice.

>> No.19427192

>>19425888
ill be bashed, but ill post three from my saved from anons file, for the sake of the trips

i want to write a song
that makes all nations
get along
inspiration
comes in spurts
i crank so hard
until it hurts
but naught comes out
just silly words
hitler did nothing wrong

When the trucks leave
Or when the dry leaves