[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 276x356, breteastonellis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1940062 No.1940062 [Reply] [Original]

Opinions on him?

I'm starting to like him, and don't view him as low-brow / trashy at all. I don't understand all the hate against him.

>> No.1940071

His scope is narrow and solely focussed on the idiot rich, his cynicism is poseurish and inauthentic, his prose is meh and the only good book he ever wrote was an accident perpetuated by a heavy Xanax intake.

Then, again, you liked Yates' novels, so you sure as hell might like Ellis'...

>> No.1940079

He's no Sir Walter Scott, Balzac, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Henry James, Charles Dickens, Thomas Mann, and he's also no Franz Kafka, Samuel Beckett, Thomas Pynchon, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf.

>> No.1940089

>>1940079
I would say he's kind of a Walter Scott sort of figure, in that he's not absolute trash, but he attracts more attention than he deserves

>> No.1940091

>>1940071

>implying Yates and Ellis are similar
>implying Yates doesn't kick ass

>> No.1940095

>>1940091
that's right I implied both the things.

>> No.1940098

>>1940095
*those

>> No.1940100

i've totally missed you and your posts bro glad to be back

>> No.1940105

>>1940089
I agree.

I always wanted to find someone that writes bret easton ellis book while being an actually good and intelligent writer.
I want someone who is utterly cynical and edgy but not a total dumbass.

Yet all the "smart cynical writers" that people come up with don't seem so cynical (behind the critique of the modern life there is always hinted the possibility of some more authentic life), or people confuse realism with being cynical, or are not cool enough.

The closest thing to what I want was Celine's Journey at the end of the night.

>> No.1940156

I think Glamorama is easily the worst book I ever paid money for. All I really remember---since it didn't have any plot I could discern----was long passages that read like: "So then Donatella Versace and BJ Snowden and Klaus Kinski and I walked over to the all-you-can-eat cunnilingus bar that Sofia Coppola had installed next to the chocolate fountain to celebrate Michael Chabon's coming-out party, being hosted by Michael Alig and Tammy Fae Bakker at Babylon in Pittsburgh...." Reading it, I wanted to gnaw my own legs off by way of light relief.

American Psycho is like a satire written by someone with no sense of humor. A classic instance of the fallacy of imitative form. Arthur Bremer's diaries are more interesting, take up one-eighth of the word-count, and inspired "Taxi Driver". And you've never even heard of Arthur Bremer, have you.

Less Than Zero is amazing in its banality and its absolute dishonesty (does anyone believe Bret has ever been anything OTHER than gay? but isn't it fascinating how gayness is like a punishment forced upon julian? who dies from it? although the novel never mentions the aids epidemic? and yet it pretends snuff films are real? SERIOUSLY? does this sound like the psychosis of a rich-kid closet case, put in print and sold off with a paris-hilton-style publicity tour back in the cocaine 80s?) It is the kind of book that is considered profound by girls named Misty.

>> No.1940195

My problem with Bret Easton Ellis is that he writes extremely banal & simple sentences, which fit the style, but he will interject suddenly some misplaced writerly language. Let's just say that if you are attempting to convey plain, middle or lowbrow thoughts, as in a diary, a random adverbial subordinate clause & the whole

>"Blah blah blah," I said.

sentence structure do not make sense. Thus giving his prose the same artificiality of his characters. Maybe intentional, but very aesthetically irksome.

Other than that I enjoy what he stands for & love his Twitter posts.

>> No.1940198

>>1940195

That is also the same trouble I have with 99% of contemporary fiction.

>> No.1940197

so i heard that the guy admitted not too long ago that Patrick was modelled on his father how about that

>> No.1940240

I think that Glamorama was okaaaay ... not his best and not his worst work, although its too long. Imperial Bedrooms is his worst, I think The Informers was quite readable.
In my opinion hes a good author. basta.

>> No.1940246

>I always wanted to find someone that writes bret easton ellis book while being an actually good and intelligent writer.
>I want someone who is utterly cynical and edgy but not a total dumbass.

Check out the "Some Hope" trilogy by Edward St. Aubyn.

>> No.1940262

>>1940246
Adam Davies

>> No.1940267

I hate him because I'm insanely jealous that he has been able to write novels of renown since he was a teenager, and I mostly enjoy his works.

That fucker.

>> No.1940272

My favorite work of his would have to be Glamorama, just because of how dynamic the plot was, though I had a lot of fun reading American Psycho.

Also currently ripping Lunar Park, fingers crossed for it to be good!

>> No.1940277

>>1940272

the first chapter is amazing, the middlepart is good and the end is a bad stephen king.

>> No.1940281

>>1940277

yeah I heard that it becomes a ghost story by the end but hopefully I'll enjoy at least the first half

>> No.1940285
File: 28 KB, 484x400, 1307021755788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1940281

you will

>> No.1940291

Hey, guys. Bret Easton Ellis is fat and untalented and oops, not literature.

Thanks for understanding.

>> No.1940764

>>1940277
I'm reading Luna Park at the moment, and the first chapter was excellent, I agree. The 'skimming' style of it, all the clever language, and the funniness were great, as well as it being about a (real) writer and his journey.

>> No.1941975

>>1940195
>love his Twitter posts

Dear God