[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 115 KB, 900x929, metalfish.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1937110 No.1937110 [Reply] [Original]

>lots of plot twists, however stupid or unlikely

>cliffhangers at the end of as many chapters as possible

>only one POV character, who is both an Everyman and a Mary Sue (how is this even possible?)

>Western setting

>happy, conclusive ending

>love interest or love interests that the guy gets

>large and secret corporation or government group that is trying to take over

>CSI-level science / biology to engage the reader and make them feel smart

>plain prose that appeals to as many people as possible

>characters with stupid names

>> No.1937116

>implying this wouldn't be a paragon of a trashy thriller

>> No.1937124

The protagonist has to have a dark secret from his or her past which is not revealed to the reader or the love interest until late in the book. This dark secret, however, does not end up being nearly as damning as the reader had suspected/hoped, and the protagonist is ultimately redeemed.

>> No.1937130

The most of this suits to the Raymond Khoury's The Sign. I got that book as a present and have read it while commuting to school...

The most significant thing about that book is amount of commercial products portrayed in it. Everyone have Blackberry, connection to Internet via iPhone, emphasizing on use of Google for web search and some other things.

They could just use cellphone. But no! They are using Blackberry.

>> No.1937141

>>1937124

Don't forget the one special phobia which he'll have to face at a critical moment.

>> No.1937148

>>1937124
>>1937141

> that memory from the lakehouse....
> what happened at the lakehouse...
> ....susan....
> ...my dearest susan....
> (susan drowned at the lakehouse, main character now has a phobia of lakes, houses, and girls named susan)

>> No.1937180

ot but what's the sauce of that picture? thanks

>> No.1937194

>>1937110
Eh, I'm not sure if there's a list of specific criteria, but if you want to read actual honest-to-God GOOD trashy thrillers, you start with a man named Richard Laymon, and you work your way over to Jim Thompson.

>> No.1937209

Everything that happens to the main character is a disaster! His mother dies! He gets shot in the chest! His toast was burnt! Everything fucks up!

>> No.1937757

The funny thing is, a trashy thriller CAN be good, despite being trashy. I like the fast pace of storytelling, and the plot twists.

>> No.1937823

some examples of trashy thrillers?

>> No.1937830

>>1937823
Rambo, it was originally a book