[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 423x436, djbfkdsbdsf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1936932 No.1936932 [Reply] [Original]

He's such a consistently average author. I've read all of his English language works, and the only works that aren't average are Kafka on The Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (good), and After The Quake, After Dark and NW (bad). Everything else seems very much middle of the road, not that there's anything wrong with that. Thoughts on this?

>> No.1936934

I agree, for the most part.

He's one of those authors that I read before I was very experienced with literature, and I remember him fondly, but whenever I try to revisit his work, I'm left with an impression similar to what you've described.

>> No.1936945

haruhi narutokami

>> No.1936947

>>1936934

Having said all that, I still want to get 1Q84, his first epic. Looks pretty sweet. UK doesn't get Books 1, 2 or 3 until October, though.

>> No.1936988

I think he's good, but I can see how many doesn't like his style.

>>1936947
You should, it's really good. I've only read books 1 and 2 so far though, still waiting on 3.

>> No.1937015

Can you really judge an author by the TRANSLATION of his work? Literature relies heavily on language. Take this [citation needed]pedia bit on "The Pit and the Pendulum."

>The narrator experiences the blade mostly through sound as it "hissed" while swinging. Poe further emphasizes this with words like "surcingle", "cessation", "crescent", "scimitar", and various forms of sibilance.

I imagine that would be lost in a Spanish or Japanese translation.

>> No.1937019

>>1937015

It should be taken for granted that we're discussing the merits of the translations.

>> No.1937029

Honestly i doubt many authors can really even compete with Poe's control of language.
Sure, some things are lost in translation, but nowadays, I feel that stories are mainly stories, no longer do people care so much about words that they take the time, as Poe did, to really look deeply at every aspect of the word.
I think it's safe to say the -some- works after translation are no longer the same; while others lose very little in translation. Whether or not Murakami is one of them (probably not) is another question.

>> No.1937056

>>1937029
My impression of Murakami agrees with his writing being favorable to translation, as well. The beauty of his work is in the worlds they create, not so much the words that are used.

Except for one thing:
Murakami claims his writing style reflects the way music is heard.
There's a youtube clip of him reading "Super-Frog Saves Tokyo" at a lecture, and makes a point of reading it first in Japanese (after making the claim above).
I don't know whether that detail influences the wordplay or narrative more.
If the former, then there is definitely something lost in translation, which may be the case, based on the point he makes at that lecture.

>> No.1937087

Some authors translate VERY well. Mario Vargas Llosa and Roberto Bolano both have very good prose, even though it's original Spanish. Translations aren't the end of the world.

>> No.1937534

Murakami has a very good relationship with his translators. He's stated in many of his prefaces that they do a great job of conveying the essence of his stories into a universal feeling. I think he goes into it more in the preface of Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman.

I personally love all of his writing. He has a very effortless way of describing human emotion, and his books never seem to lag. Sure, I like some books than others, but a bad Murakami book is still better than most modern fiction coming out.

>> No.1937594

>>1936932

Damn Sunhawk, a nigga be confused when it comes to you.
Sometimes you have some of retarded ass opinions(Allende is good.)
Other times you hit the nail on the head(Murakami consistently average.)
You could of summed up your whole post by saying that Murakami is the Japanese equivalent of Paul Auster.
Not that /lit/ would know that since they're too busy reading Muracummy, David Faggot Walrus, and GURRRM.

>> No.1937606

>>1937534
>I personally love all of his writing. He has a very effortless way of describing human emotion, and his books never seem to lag. Sure, I like some books than others, but a bad Murakami book is still better than most modern fiction coming out.
Agreed, wholeheartedly. I can admit that his prose isn't really anything to jump up and down about, but for some reason, it just captivates me, and when I read his work, I tend to read it in really long blocks because I just don't want to stop. I also really like the idiosyncratic things he describes; it's the tiny, quotidian details that make his writing enjoyable.

>> No.1937605
File: 6 KB, 210x173, 1303001739257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Sunhawk expresses his opinions of literature

>> No.1937616
File: 29 KB, 291x400, icantfaptothis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1937594

>could of

>> No.1937621

>>1937594

Thanks, I think. I do have some antithetical opinions, I admit, like enjoying both postmodernism and (some) thrillers. But don't say bad things about Martin, /lit/ will hurt you. They're pretty tough, despite appearances.

>> No.1937628
File: 1.28 MB, 273x192, couldoffaggot.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1937616

What can I say, its a doggy dog world.

>>1937621

Don't tell me you still haven't read the Jew York Trilogy.

>> No.1937637

>>1937628

I bought the New York Trilogy in my latest batch of books, but haven't read it yet. Sorry. I hope it's better than ITCOLT, which was decent, but not amazing. Felt a bit trashy, and was too short.

>> No.1937646

>>1937637

Id say its good enough but like Murakami Auster is a decent writer who sometimes writes good books..

>> No.1937651 [DELETED] 

sunhawk will you do you have skype

>> No.1937654

sunhawk do you have skype*

>> No.1937658

sunhawk, do you have a vulva?

>> No.1937693

>>1937654

Fabulous, is it you? The flowers are fabulous. No, I don't have skype, why?

>>1937658

No. Why should I , because I like Failwood?

>> No.1937717

>>1937693
i guess it's me

i don't really know anymore

do you have another way for us to be better friends ?

>> No.1937731

>>1937717

I have AIM, we should talk sometimes*, which would be super nice.

*not today, my brain is fried from a 3 hour session of NiGHTS 1

>> No.1937744

>>1937731
ok!

i have an aim too i'll add you if you want you can just visit the lit chat real quick and give it to me whenever