[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 6 KB, 100x150, AAAAAgAOgCsAAAAAAJfnFQ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1932382 No.1932382 [Reply] [Original]

Why isn't this on recommended fantasy reading list?
Opinions from /lit/? This seems like the highfalutin kind of stuff /lit/ would read.

>> No.1932397

I see this in Hardback in EVERY thrift store, used book store etc, that I go into. It can't be that good.

>> No.1932487

this book is actually amazing. jane austen meets harry potter meets neil gaiman meets... thackeray?

the first quarter of the book can be quite slow paced, that's probably why you see it everywhere.

>> No.1932493

Are you sure it's not?

I could have sworn it was on one of them. It's mentioned here all the time.

>> No.1932497

>>1932487

>jane austen meets harry potter meets neil gaiman meets... thackeray?

Oh wow that sounds terrible.

This was actually going to be a part of my next library haul, but now... I dunno.

>> No.1932500

It's a fun book, I recommend it to people who like pastiches of historical styles and aren't averse to magicians.

>> No.1932506

>>1932497
Clarke is a better writer than Gaiman, and in terms of subject matter it's much more Bronte than Austen.

>> No.1934643

It takes a little while to get into but the writing is amazing, the storyline is awesome, the magic in it is great cause its not "HOLYSHITI"MFIRINMAHLAZORS" which is a nice change from the usual stuff I'm used to reading. Its got that sort of historical feel to it which is again rather rare.

>> No.1934660

One of the best novels I've read this year. It's a doorstopper though (lol, girls saying 600 page books are doorstoppers), at over 1,000 pages in paperback. Very slow, but I didn't mind that. Great prose. Good characters.