[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 170x170, Cream_of_Saskatchewan_Watermelons_Seeds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1928404 No.1928404 [Reply] [Original]

It is really very simple. The colors of the days and the watermelons go like this --

Monday: red watermelons.
Tuesday: golden watermelons.
Wednesday: gray watermelons.
Thursday: black, soundless watermelons.
Friday: white watermelons.
Saturday: blue watermelons.
Sunday: brown watermelons.

>> No.1928406
File: 15 KB, 225x300, brautigan5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1928412
File: 24 KB, 264x413, brautigan-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"I saw thousands of pumpkins last night
come floating in on the tide,
bumping up against the rocks and
rolling up on the beaches;
it must be Halloween in the sea"

>> No.1928430

When you take your pill
it’s like a mine disaster.
I think of all the people
lost inside of you.

>> No.1928462
File: 57 KB, 580x436, rv_waltzing_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Perhaps you stared into a river. There was someone near you who loved you. They were about to touch you. You could feel this before it happened. Then it happened.

That is my name.

>> No.1928529

Trout Fishing In America. Uppercase letters F, I, and A a hint there's more than just wading and fly casting for trout in icy streams at hand.

In 1961 Richard Brautigan (1935-1984) penned the novella, "Trout Fishing In America." He published it in 1967. His title, as you might suspect, is misleading and used for multiple purposes in his story. I'll not spoil it. Take a few minutes to research or pick up a copy.

Anyway, 27 years after Brautigan's work hit the public domain, a teenager named Peter Eastman, Jr., hailing from California, legally changed his name to "Trout Fishing In America." True. No kidding. But the kid dropped "Shorty" (the fifth word in the name of a character in the novella title).

I actually remember reading a newspaper article about the peculiar court proceeding and the judge asking Mr. Eastman if he understood the ramifications of taking on such an unusual name. For instance, the judge asked if the court was to address him as Mr. Trout, Mr. Trout Fishing, or Mr. America? And as I recall, Eastman politely replied something along the lines of, "Trout Fishing In America, your honor." As if implying the question silly. The judge smiled, forewarned of confusion and problems, and wished him well.

At last report, Trout Fishing In America was residing in Japan and teaching English. He's so koi.

And, by the way, honoring Brautigan there's a moon crater named "Shorty"--so awarded by an Apollo astronaut. And there once was, and maybe still is, a rock band named "Trout Fishing In America."

http://acoloneloftruth.blogspot.com/2011/06/trout-fishing-in-america-other-odd.html