[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 329x500, 1635096321399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19281283 No.19281283 [Reply] [Original]

I've finished the Karla Trilogy, and the Legacy.

Which books could you advise concerning spies and espionage ?

Also
>Smiley is cool and everything but fuck his rent at this last apparition.

>> No.19281297

>>19281283
If you want non-fiction Ben MacIntyre's works are amazing

>> No.19281329

>>19281297
Added.
Do you got any more fictional recommendations ?

>> No.19281352

Would like to know to
but maybe books where the enemy is not the 3. reich or russia
is there nothing modern with usa/eu against china?
maybe with a white male protagonist

>> No.19281374

any good spy lit where its not from the us/uk pov?

>> No.19281384

>>19281329
Le Carre was the high-water mark of espionage fiction, so if you liked Karla a lot of his other works are great as well (The Constant Gardener, Spy Who Came in From the Cold, The Night Manager being my personal favorites). He was inspired by Graham Greene (Our Man in Havana, The Quiet American) and Eric Ambler (Mask of Dimitrios, Passage of Arms)

A lot of other spy fiction is very cinematic and "American" in the sense that its heavy on action and thrills, if you like that Bourne Series by Lundlum and Tom Clancy are your best best

>> No.19281393
File: 16 KB, 428x424, 1635097651068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a joke for you:

"An American spy is in Soviet Russia, digging up information on a powerful Russian politician.

He finds him in a bar, walks in dressed in Russian attire, pretending to be Russian.

Everybody in the bar looks at him, but he keeps his cool. He orders a drink and walks to the politician… “Greetings, comrade.” says the spy, but before he could finish his sentence, the Russian says, “I think you are American spy.”

The spy is alarmed, but being a skilled, trained, spy, he says, “That is not true! I am the proudest Soviet there is! I can sing the anthem more beautifully than any other man in the country!”

He then proceeds to sing the Soviet anthem, so melodically and beautifully, that everybody in the bar cheers.

“Very good, very good!” says the politician. “But I still think you are spy.”

The man continues to keep his cool.

“I am a historian! I can tell you everything about this glorious country!”.

He then spends about two hours recounting the Revolution, the Great Patriotic War, about how superior to the Russia is in terms of technology compared to America and makes a great argument about how communism is beneficial to society.

“Amazing! You are skilled!” says the politician.

The spy smirks.

“But I still think you American spy.”

The spy is getting frustrated, but still unfazed.

He replies, “I am good drinker, a true Russian! Let us drink, and see who can come out top!”

The bar turns its attention to the politician and the spy, who are now in a drinking contest.

The bartender serves drink after drink of vodka.

After about an hour of drinking, the politician nearly passes out, unable to hold as much liquor as the spy, to a resounding cheer amongst the bar.

In the midst of the cheering, the Russian politician gets up, smiling, and in a slurred speech, repeats, “You are good, you are good… but I still think you are spy.”

The American spy, piss drunk, loses his skill and gives up.
"Ok, I'm american. I'm a spy. How do you know?"

The russian politician replies: "Look at yourself in the mirror, you're a nigger""

>> No.19281403

>>19281283
>I've finished the Karla Trilogy, and the Legacy.

If you liked those, you would probably enjoy The Secret Pilgrim, which is not quite at the level of the trilogy, but has some nice Smiley scenes... gives you a few facets of his character you don't see elsewhere.

Also presumably you've read Spy Who Came in from the Cold. If not, it's a must (Legacy of Spies is somewhat of a belated sequel to 'Cold').

>> No.19281439

>>19281283

Any word, good or ill, on his final book? I read the excerpt in Harpers and it gave me a "Scorsese's Irishman" but for British spy novels.

>> No.19281455

>>19281393
ꓘEK

>> No.19281651

>>19281393
had to laugh
very good