[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 322 KB, 608x448, 1306387345022.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1920399 No.1920399 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, im sopoused to write an essay, and my topic is life,
i'm going to talk about how money, attention and fame is not really needed to be happy in your life.

So what I ask of you, is to give your thoughts on things like that

>> No.1920404
File: 22 KB, 360x253, ts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i dont know shit about life because i am a child. to be continued...

write that

>> No.1920420

>>1920399
So how does attention, money, and fame not bring happiness.

>> No.1920431

Write about how meaningless life is. About how no matter what you do, at some point in the future it won't be worth anything. If you died right now you would leave no lasting impact on the world, and even if you did it will all be destroyed some day.

>> No.1920435

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht that can sail right up next to it."

>> No.1920439
File: 65 KB, 647x542, dicks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To universally say money does not bring happiness is ignorant. But to say it, without a doubt, brings happiness is also ignorant. I've always thought that money brings the potential to be happy.

>> No.1920440

>money
Just because some people claim to be or are actually happy without any money does not mean it is a general rule in life. Money buys food, water, shelter, clothes, entertainment, higher education, etc. When people talk about being happy without money I think they usually mean being happy without frivolous shit. And some people, surely, need these things to be happy. It is foolhardy to say any shmoe you pick out on the street could be happy without money in our society. Of course, if we were talking about an entirely revamped society not based on money... well, I don't feel qualified to talk on that.

>attention
The vast majority of humans are social animals. We have mates, raise our children, interact with friends, go out in public, have peers and colleagues, etc. Almost no one could be happy without attention and furthermore affection. This is why children can't be raised in basements without human contact.

>fame
This is of course not necessary, as very few people are famous and not all of them are happy and not every person who isn't famous is unhappy. Recognition feels good, though, so many people fantasize about it. This is pretty much the same as attention, only super-sized.

>In summation:
You are taking words which have very broad and deep meanings and implications and only minding the slivers of them that correspond to your very limited views and experiences. Of course, I could be mistaken, but these are my thoughts on the matter as I understand it.

>> No.1920443
File: 98 KB, 375x391, 1310200805378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't listen to these sourpusses, OP. If you are willing to reject the stupid shit our society values most, then you have a good head on your shoulder. But I would suggest, don't just define yourself against what you don't value; also write about what you think you need to be happy.

>> No.1920444

Watch Citizen Kane.

I just saw it, and I think that if he would care of his desire of love, then he would have been the happiest people in the world.

Money, attention, fame. Almost all of his selfish desires were satisfied. What human on earth could be more happy than him?

Also:
"There is only one inborn erroneous notion ... that we exist in order to be happy ... So long as we persist in this inborn error ... the world seems to us full of contradictions. For at every step, in great things and small, we are bound to experience that the world and life are certainly not arranged for the purpose of maintaining a happy existence ... hence the countenances of almost all elderly persons wear the expression of ... disappointment. " - Arthur Schopenhauer -

>> No.1920451

But money attention and fame are necessary for happiness. You're a fucking tool of the privileged. They're fucking laughing it up in their megamansions, looking down on your dumb, poor, ugly ass, who can't fucking get laid, has to work, has to put up with the petty bullshit privations of everyday fucking life, and the best part is you think you're happier than they are because "money can't buy happiness."

Fuck that! Fuck them! Fucking jump up and grab their shit. Get angry, you stupid fucker. The world is fucking you, stop taking it.

>> No.1920459

>>1920444
Right, that's the story of the Buddha as well: we can have every one of our temporal desires satisfied in spades, yet we can be terribly miserable. Without transcendence and enlightenment, we are nothing.

>> No.1920464

>>1920459
It's not the story of the Buddha, though, because the message of Kane is that if Kane had simply held on to his childish sense of wonder and had managed to form real emotional connections and a solid domestic life, he could have been happy - while the teaching of Buddha (as I understand it) is that life, being, is inherently painful, inherently flawed, that happiness is impossible in this life, and that we must reach a mystical, that is otherworldly, sense of contentment with life, of non-attachment to life. They differ precisely in that Citizen Kane teaches that Kane could have been happy had he only been attached to the proper things (as symbolized by his sled), while Buddha would teach that Kane could not have been happy so long as he was attached to things, to existence.