[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 102 KB, 317x309, quin12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1916570 No.1916570 [Reply] [Original]

What is the last book you read and what did you think of it?

The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima. This was my first Mishima novel and I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations after Patriotism but I found it thoroughly enjoyable and look forward to reading Confessions of a Mask when it arrives.

>> No.1916576

I love Mishima. Is there a reason you aren't reading the Sea of Fertility? It's a really beautiful series. I also really like the collection of his short stories called Death in Midsummer. The eponymous story is good and it contains a play about an auction whose name escapes me but I remember enjoying.

>> No.1916577

Homage To Catalonia. Very interesting (and entertaining) account of Orwell's time in the POUM during the Spanish Civil War.

>> No.1916581

>>1916576
There's no reason, I'm intending to make my way through more of his works, I just ordered CoaM online because it was out of print. And I bought TSWFFGwtS just because they didn't have the first Sea of Fertility when I went to the shop. I'll probably make an amazon order when i'm back from holiday. And I'll keep an eye out for Death in Midsummer; thank you.

>> No.1916720

I just finished re-reading Kneller's Happy Campers by Etgar Keret. It's a nice feel good book. It's short at something like ~95 pages but I enjoyed it.
Long story short, guy kills himself, finds life after suicide is like normal life, but a little bit shitter. People can perfom miracles, but only when they don't try. He meets a guy and they go on a trip to find his ex who also killed herself after him. He however falls in love with another girl on the journey, but she's only there because she accidently OD' and she's trying to get back to the "normal" world.

It's actually quite funny, and good, despite how shit I made it sound.

>> No.1916727

>>1916720
They made a pretty good movie out of it called Wristcutters.

>> No.1916733

>>1916727
Tom Waits as Kneller. Fucking A' it was a good movie.

>> No.1916744

>>1916570
Stop posting this fucking pick it reminds me of my ex.
THOSE EYEEES THEY ARE STILL WATCHIING :<

>> No.1916746
File: 18 KB, 200x225, tegan-quin-200-111008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916744
>Tegan Quin looks like my ex.
Lucky bastard.

>> No.1916767

The Plague.

I was underwhelmed. I didn't arrive at the same conclusion as the doctor did at all. It's amazing how Camus made me care about all the little characters, Grand, Cottard, not Tarrou though he was out of place, Paneloux, the old spanish guy, the guy who spit on cats. Rambert was a fucking idiot and his rejection of the offer to leave was so contrived I was about to puke in Camus' grave general direction.

I didn't know Oran was in Algeria, either, I assumed it was a fictional french town.

>> No.1916969
File: 21 KB, 185x300, a high wind in jamaica.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just finished A High Wind in Jamaica. It was amazing - about an English family living in Jamaica whose home is destroyed in a hurricane, so the parents send the children back to England. On the way, their ship is intercepted and the children are taken aboard a pirate ship.

Despite the adventure-y premise, it's actually a very unsettling book. Definitely not a children's book, though it is told through the perspective of the children involved. The completely uninterested detachment and the almost negligible moments of self-awareness combined sort of make the whole escapade seem surreal. Especially once they do make it back to England.

There were so many quotable phrases in this - those little bits of revealed universal experience that make me love reading in the first place. I wish I'd been marking them down somewhere, but you'll easily find some every few pages.

I picked up The Fox in the Attic by the same guy (Richard Hughes) to read sometime, but I feel like I probably just read his magnum opus. Because it was absolutely wonderful.

>> No.1916984

At the Mountains of Madness. It was all right, nothing special imo. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, I can't really see myself reading Lovecraft again.

>> No.1916987 [DELETED] 
File: 478 KB, 1904x726, what i read expected got the invention of morel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916720
>>1916720

sounds like my kinda thing, going to read it tommorrow <3

the last book i finished reading was The Invention of Morel, (i think), i read it as a break inbetween IJ which im still working on, but i really enjoyed it. Totally different from what i expected (pic related) and praised to fuck by Borges as the perfect novel.

it's only like 100 pages long too, so i definately suggest everyone reads it.

>> No.1917011

I finished Under the Net by Iris Murdoch the other day. Never read any of her stuff before. Thought it was pretty good. solid prose, well realised characters, funny and thought provoking. I thought the way it echoed Murphy was a nice touch too.

>> No.1917020
File: 431 KB, 541x600, A_Wild_Sheep_Chase_by_Devildevious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wild Sheep chase by haruki murakami. Really enjoyed it. I find him absolutely enchanting. Will suck me out of reality all the time.

>> No.1917049

>>1916987
Awesome.

Also: Is there anything that is actually like the middle panel? I would read that story.