[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 191 KB, 788x1200, 71bjNJ3EQ9L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19158912 No.19158912 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on this and Cowper Powys in general? I saw this on the top 100 novels list and never heard of him before. It looks interesting.

>> No.19158919

i liked it a lot. his essays on various writers are good too, his general philosophy of reading is the correct one. thanks for reading

>> No.19158924

>>19158919
>his general philosophy of reading is the correct one
Which is?

>> No.19158931

>>19158924
read for pleasure

>> No.19158936

im lazy posting rn, but read the intros to Suspended Judgments and One Hundred Best Books, he states it well there

still better than 0 responses

>> No.19158950

I've read Wolf Solent, which is the first of his Wessex trilogy. For the first half of the book I was very engaged. It was interesting psychologically and there were a number of motifs I enjoyed, and the language in which he describes the natural world is beautiful. But by half way it started to feel like it was not coming together. It meandered. It did not wrap itself up well at all. It felt like a wasted opportunity. I read later he had been forced to cut 300 pages from the book before publishing, and I couldn't help but feel they should have made him cut 300 more.

>> No.19158964

when i read glastonbury romance i wished it were a 1000 more, one must enjoy meandering to appreciate powys, it even comes across in his favorite choice of fave novels

>> No.19159002

on meandering
>I have a sneaking feeling that all this modern fuss about "art" and the "creative vision" and "the projection of visualized images," is the itching vice of quite a different class of people, from those who, in the old, sweet, epicurean way, loved to loiter through huge digressive books, with the ample unpremeditated enjoyment of leisurely travelers wayfaring along a wonderful road. How many luckless innocents have teased and fretted their minds into a forced appreciation of that artistic ogre Flaubert, and his laborious pursuit of his precious "exact word," when they might have been pleasantly sailing down Rabelais' rich stream of immortal nectar, or sweetly hugging themselves over the lovely mischievousness of Tristram Shandy! But one must be tolerant; one must make allowances. The world of books is no puritanical bourgeois-ridden democracy; it is a large free country, a great Pantagruelian Utopia, ruled by noble kings.

>> No.19159022
File: 132 KB, 1252x544, 84632315.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

picrel's a paragraph from GR i once posted on the archive, split into two posts. gives a decent indication of what the novel is like. the character described was my fave alongside the child Bert. not a major character, nothing happens to him really, his story goes nowhere because he doesn't have a story

>> No.19159301

>>19158912
It was only on the top 100 because a single anon kept shilling it for months. Powys is pretty autistic but good.

>> No.19160104

Bump