[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 113 KB, 252x342, 34w980tyhwe4t.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19119030 No.19119030 [Reply] [Original]

When looking for summaries on the back of the book more than two thirds the authors were women, or ethnic women.
>Is this a known problem?

I went in for a list of /lit/ recommended books and they didn't have one in stock.

>> No.19119044

>>19119030
Women buy things, men go on libgen. Is it a surprise publishers appeal to women?

>> No.19119056

>>19119030
I was on /lit the other day and there was something weird about the new threads
When looking through the OPs I noticed more than two thirds of them were written by fruity ass booty niggas
>Is this a known problem?

>> No.19119071

>I went in for a list of /lit/ recommended books and they didn't have one in stock.
At Barnes and Noble? The multinational billion-dollar chain bookstore that is specifically designed as a bookstore that caters to normies? Surely there must be some mistake, anon?

>> No.19119093
File: 100 KB, 640x509, Screenshot 2021-09-25 182117.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19119030
Basically they decided that their books weren't selling because they are PoC/Women and have been pushing for more 'shelve' represenation.

>> No.19119164
File: 2.57 MB, 1594x1600, 1362685003182.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19119093
I was thinking of something along the lines of, "Why buy books that were written in the past when you can listen to my inane ramblings in real time," but it looks like that's what happened, in real time.

>> No.19119352

>>19119056
Yes, it is.

>> No.19120640

I went there today to try and find Valley of the Dolls and they didn't have it in the store, but they did have two different editions of Queens Gambit for some reason

>> No.19121774

>>19119030
It's several things at once. First is that majority of people who study philology, take writing classes or study various soft managerial fields(where they later become administrative staff in among others publishing companies) are women. They're often extremely self-confident in their doubtful skill but they will write. Throw shit at the wall, the least shitty things will stick.
Then there's also feminism, or rather a certain unspoken effect of it. It presents women this picture of patriarchy, a bunch of guys in suits in a dark room, smoking cigars and discussing how to keep dominance over society. True or false, metaphorical or not, they end up with subconscious tendency to "support women"(anons who wanted to get published often said that giving it to the publisher under female pseudonym helped them). Obviously there's an extension on other stuff on oppression hierarchy, but majority of the newly published works are written by white women(like 75%) so it evidently doesn't have that much of an effect. Then there's the fact that women buy more new books. Men buy books, sure, and after you include audiobooks both sexes have parity in amount "read", but they don't buy new stuff as eagerly, more of a classic readers if you like.

So you have women who first of all write more, secondly have strong pro-female bias and hold positions where they get the agency to publish or not. They as a market also buy more newly published books. So in the end women end up being extremely overrepresented there. The minority drive is newer and I think it only has the publisher's bias part on their side, but yeah that's what's happening.