[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.29 MB, 3264x3264, contemporary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.19109117 [Reply] [Original]

Discussion/recs for good contemporary writers, none of the BS booker writers.

>Top Left: Don DeLillo
Well known literary giant, here as an old honorable mention. PoMo writer with particular care to sentence structure.
>Top Middle: Dennis Cooper
pages on pages of violent homoeroticism that is akin to Korine's Kids. Hailed by many young writers and lit mags today despite the obviously controversial topic of most his books
>Top Right: Richard Powers
Big books, rigorous writing, some academic settings, lots of interest, a must in comtemporary lit. Also, robbed of the booker prize this year
>Middle Left: Gary Lutz
Writing at a microscopic level with a basis on prose and prose only. Not for those who enjoy any plot. Autistic attention to English grammar and how far it can go, not for ESL readers. Read their article "The Sentence is a Lonely Place" for a taste.
>Middle Middle: Gordon Lish
Well known contemporary literary critic and teacher(think harold bloom, but more based) was the teacher of Gary Lutz and also father of Bottom Right. His students have gone to make a wave of experimental fiction and basically have influenced everyone in pic rel. His writing is similar to Lutz's best less autistic more impersonal. Also, best friends with Don DeLillo
>Middle Right: Rick Bass
Environmental Writer with unique writing style. If you enjoy comfy nature books this is your guy
>Bottom Left: Jon Fosse
Norwegian Writer, quiet, distraught, devastating, unique style almost religious
>Bottom Middle: Ottesha Moshfegh
Probably the most well known here due to being much more advertisable and much less of a recluse. Books focus on the "impersonal" aspects of life and vary widely in style.
>Bottom Right: Atticus Lish
Son of Gordon Lish(Middle Middle), books take on violent barbaric themes with a unique style most likely taken from his father. Also, an MMA fighter with 11-0 amateur record.

>Honorable Mentions:
J. M. Coetzee
Ben Marcus(Age of Wire String is best and goes down hill from there)
Harold Brodkey
Javier Marias
Anne Carson
Evan Dara
António Lobo Antunes

>> No.19109146

>>19109117
I don't have much to add, you've got most of my favorites covered. I'm just glad to finally see someone mention Gary Lutz on here, on a sentence by sentence level he is absolutely unmatched.

>> No.19109185

>>19109146
Who are your favorites? I recently discovered Lutz and am reading Stories in the Worst Way right now. All these writers that come from Lutz have such a unique style of writing yet so distinct, especially Lutz. In the introduction Evenson talks of how tons of translators have tried their hand at translating lutz but come up empty handed. It's really a testament to his writing, he reaches the far away lands of the English language without disrupting grammar in anyway. I think without his autistic attitude towards grammar early on in his life he wouldn't be how he is now.

Q/A for your interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uptexco8vF4&t=2s

>> No.19109191

>>19109117
>No Thomas Ligotti once again in the discussion about good contemporary authors
Well done.

>> No.19109199

I would suggest the works of F. Gardner. Such as Call of the Crocodile.

>> No.19109203

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_n8win2Vs&t=45s

>> No.19109507

>>19109117
Richard powers is a horrible writer. He is very smart tho. Shoulda stuck with coding.

>> No.19109735

>>19109117
thx anon. will screenshot for whenever I feel i want something contemporary. I think Paperbird mentioned some of these guys, he made videos about Jon Fosse and Rick Bass I think. He is a great review channel not cringe like the Bookchemist or Better than Food. So yeah Paperbird shoutout, makes kino that guy.

>> No.19109754

>>19109735
Paperbird is shut desu. Only good reviewer is leaf by leaf

>> No.19109758

>>19109117
Fyi, she’s named Garielle Lutz now.

>> No.19109800

>>19109507
Haven't read anything of him but tons of praise, why do you think he's bad?

>> No.19109810

>>19109800
Very sterile fiction. Imagine a STEM dude wriying a novel, that is Powers. And his recent books are Environmentalist larps

>> No.19109892

fuck's sake where can I download Call of the crocodile it's not on libgen

>> No.19109929

>>19109892
Based retardation

>> No.19109940
File: 80 KB, 750x334, 1D45C7AE-F699-405B-8B56-03A4B7D43798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>19109892
I just tried looking it up. Seems easy to find.

>> No.19110279

>>19109191
>genreshit
into the trash goes it

>> No.19110688
File: 16 KB, 334x500, 0995705267.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>Lish is mentioned outside of the usual Carver context
Oh rejoice, all Lish-bros! At last, the triumphing has shone upon our lowly abode.

I'm reading his latest book right now, and despite his constant apologizing as to him having written the book and the reader having to read it now that he has gone and written it, it might possibly be the best thing to have ever been written. Doubly impressive given he was 82 when it was pubLished.