[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.54 MB, 1996x3530, Epicteti_Enchiridion_Latinis_versibus_adumbratum_(Oxford_1715)_frontispiece.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19056344 No.19056344 [Reply] [Original]

>but Epictetus, life is too hard!
>Then hang yourself, slave
It's just that easy. Stop bitching.

>> No.19056369
File: 194 KB, 864x1023, 9984439E-B442-42AC-B9C9-99690286B051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

based

>> No.19056387

>>19056369
>bu... but Epictetus I'm so worried about my job and reputation and health, I don't know what to do?
>Stop caring

>> No.19056390

>>19056369
That face sculpture is Epicurus not Epictetus lol

>> No.19056392

>feelings
The mortal enemy of the stoics

>> No.19056418

>>19056392
not true. A common misconception. The feelings are a first action and unavoidable, the decision to be affected by them is a second action and a choice.

>> No.19056424

>>19056418
it is what separates man from animals

>> No.19057760

>>19056418
HOLY BASED

>>19056344
Don't misunderstand stoicism lads; it could save your life.

>> No.19057977

>>19056418
>A common misconception
don't engage with the retards, anon, no one knows what they're talking about here unless it is very clear that they do. you won't sway them, they'll keep regurgitating random memes that have nothing to do with the topic.

>> No.19057992

>>19056344
based and Epictetus pilled.

>> No.19058289

externals vs internals is key

>
Man’s perplexity is all about externals; his impotence about externals. What will I do? how will it take place? how will it turn out? Let this not happen, or that! These are all the cries of people worried about things that aren’t up to them. For who says, “How can I avoid agreeing to what is false? How can I not turn away from what is true?” If there is anyone whose nature is so fine that he is anxious about those things, I’ll just remind him – “Why are you distressed? Rest assured, it’s up to you.”

Epictetus, Discourses 4.10.1

What do we admire? Externals. What do we spend our energies on? Externals. Is it any wonder, then, that we are in fear and distress? How else could it be, when we regard the events that are coming as evil? We can’t fail to be afraid, we can’t fail to be distressed. Then we say, “Lord God, let me not be distressed.” Moron, don’t you have hands? Didn’t God make them for you? So are you going to sit down and pray that your nose will stop running? Better to wipe your nose and stop praying. What, then – has he given you nothing to help with your situation? Hasn’t he given you endurance, hasn’t he given you greatness of spirit, hasn’t he given you courage?

Epictetus, Discourses 2.16.11–14

>> No.19058328

>>19058289

Whoever then wishes to be free, let him neither wish for anything nor flee from anything that depends on others: otherwise he must be a slave.

Epictetus, Enchiridion 14

If you gape after externals, you will inevitably be forced up and down according to the will of your master. And who is your master? Whoever has power over the things you are trying to gain or avoid.

Epictetus, Discourses 2.2.25

Man is not the master of man, but death and life and pleasure and pain. Bring me Cæsar without these things and you’ll see how calm I am. But when he comes with them, amid thunder and lightning, and I am afraid of them, what else do I do but acknowledge my master, like a runaway slave? So long as I have only a sort of truce with these things, I’m like a runaway slave standing in a theater; I bathe, I drink, I sing, I do everything in fear and suffering. But if I free myself from these slave-masters – that is, from those things by which these masters are fearsome – what more trouble do I have, what more master?

Epictetus, Discourses 1.29.60

>> No.19058424

ancient philosophers were unironically retarded

if you think the cave allegory is thought provoking you belong in a retirement home

>> No.19058433

>>19058424
wrong millennium dipshit

>> No.19058507

>>19058433
Never call yourself a philosopher, and don’t talk much among laymen about philosophical principles, but act according to them…. And if you should come upon a discussion among laymen about some philosophical principle, keep silent for the most part; for there is great danger that you will immediately vomit up what you have not digested. And when someone says to you that you know nothing, and you’re not stung by the taunt, know then that you are making headway. Sheep don’t throw up their grass to show the shepherd how much they have eaten; after digesting the grass inside, they bear wool and milk outside. So for you, too: don’t display your learning to the uninstructed: display the actions that result from the digestion of it.

Epictetus, Enchiridion 46

>> No.19058563

honestly machiavelli's prince makes this point better, with all his talk of fortune and virtue
if a man wishes to make the most out of uncontrollable former, he better be perfecting latter

yes i understand he and epuctetus were of different professions in different times, i just like brevity and *proper* philosophical dialogues take too long to make a single point