[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1009 KB, 2000x1000, dosto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19025822 No.19025822 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished crime and punishment, i had read some other stuff before but this really seemed like an open window into the surreal existence of western man and the true nature of how our society works and how the mind of man is absolutely illogical and anti-self.

How do i continue down this path? what is the canon for this? i have the feeling like there is a canon of writers that is truly worshiped not because of poserism virtue signalers that were the kg of novels they read like peacock feathers, but rather, theres a set of novels and books that when you read them it gives you an understanding of life on the western industrial capitalist world, so deep that its like having superpowers, like not for realseis because if it were then everyone would quickly want them, but rahter something thats just as good as super powers, like having iron man suit plus hulk plus all the supeorwpoers, like super helpful in a subtle way, but hard to see it under you read at least 50 books and hard to communicate thats why a lot of people who arent posers insist on reading all those novels even tough they dont virtue signal, so after crime and punishment what ist he next book on this path to belonging to the club of masterpoet life knowers of the secret of life?

>> No.19026131
File: 54 KB, 1024x954, 1623038160476.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.19026278

>me when I was 13 years old

>> No.19026307

>>19025822
>the true nature of how our society works
I feel like Dosto's novels are better focused at individual spirituality than western civilization, largely because Russia at the time Dosto grew up in was incredible different from modern western civilization.
I think Brothers Karamazov is the best of his books and does deal a bit with society itself but less than C&P does.
>how the mind of man is absolutely illogical and anti-self
Notes from Underground does a better job of this imo (and is also very short compared to C&P)

>that whole second paragraph
>"hard to communicate"
Yeah, either that or you're just particularly bad at it.