[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 482x395, b3f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18995515 No.18995515 [Reply] [Original]

Sorry about the blog post but I am new to /lit/. I just finished reading my first few novels (Frankenstein, Alice in Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, and some short stories). When I finish reading something, I have a hard time articulating and thinking deeper into what I just read. I think that I have a good understanding for what I read but have a hard time expressing it verbally and in written form. I spend a lot of time alone and rarely talk to people. I can go weeks before I have a conversation with anyone and I talk to the coffee shop teller more(asking for my order) than any co-worker, which I'm guessing could be part of the reason why I have a hard time. So what I am asking is if there is anything that I could do to improve these things? Will it improve with time the more that I write and read? Any suggestions would be great.

>> No.18995533

based autist

>> No.18995548

>>18995515
You want to express what you read and write better?
Discover better structures in math, philosophy, computer science etc. See which ones you think describe reality more and translate the story into it.
There's then a relationship aspect which shows how they achieve and operate in the structure then accepted ontological objects which describe who is participating.
Find a good framework and you can read easier and explain easier w better application outside the book.

>> No.18995556

>>18995515
>why can't i talk when i never talk

>> No.18995583

>>18995533

Yea lol. Never been diagnosed. I don't even know how I would go about it. Probably would have to see a psychiatrist but then I would have to pay $150 an hour.

>> No.18995589

>>18995556

Yea that probably part of the problem.

>> No.18995595

your prose style is calm, so it seems you are not having too much trouble communicating. i would at first say that i get you and you have no particular trouble expressing your thoughts & feelings. i think literature in general makes you more perceptive. instead of reflecting much about literature, perhaps there are ways of relating what you read to what you experience, like seeing where literature applies to you and where it doesn't. as writers can describe reality in a detailed way, you can use their thoughts as a springboard to describe your own reality to yourself and others.

>> No.18995607

>>18995515
>>18995548
Obviously let me give an example. Marxian dialectics reads history of class warfare through a progressivist structure (thesis-antithesis-synthesis). That's the relationship value and the participating objects are overclasses and underclasses. So for a marxian reading a story in which case the underclass triumphs or fails implies a deducted lesson in that framework. Even more so you can apply it to other things which you believe, and formalized, to follow thos framework. So in any sense it's like reading applied nf.
The justification of the structures etc is up to you.

Freud also had a reading/interpretation style. I'm not fully aware of how it operated structurally except maybe as a reverse foundationalism where the present person at a given time can derive a universal issue which can be deduced back to a particular point in time. Anyways the style was prevalent until the 70's iirc mostly in biography tho.

>> No.18996185

>>18995595

Do you think over time if I read and write more that I can improve these skills?

>> No.18996387

Bump

I am the same as you OP

>> No.18996788

Read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book..

Also, it helps to know how others critique/analyze books. There are certain methods of decomposing a work into higher level structures -- see literary theory and literary criticism. Ultimately, having a good English teacher would help you here. That's what English class is all about. How the hell you got through school without taking an English class that thought you these skills is beyond me.

>> No.18996900

>>18995515
read essays and books that critique literary and philosophical works .Harold bloom could be a good place to start.

>> No.18996945
File: 24 KB, 236x354, 7369f9cc472d5d08e183605649c343b4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18995515
I don't have any advice for you, Anon, but I do want to let you know that I sympathize with you and wish you the best. From what you've written, I really do believe that your communication skills will get better and the quality of your life along with them.

>> No.18997026

Hi there OP - as someone who has dealt with similar challenges here are some things I’ve done to help:

1. I do mild meditation before starting (no more than 5 mins) to get my head in the right space so I’m not daydreaming while reading.
2. I try to finish my reading on sections where I feel the story or arguments end so I when I’m done I can reflect on what I’ve read in totality rather than wondering “what’s next”
3. The most important thing of all is (IMO): not everything you read needs to be memorized or is even worthy of being memorized. Not only that, but to truly have a comprehensive understanding of a book you’re more than likely going to have to read it more than once. Accepting this makes reading more enjoyable and less stressful.

I hope this provides some insight. I’m an English Lit BA and even I struggle to retain. You’re not alone.

>> No.18997047

>>18995583
anon, you don't need to be diagnosed or anything to be called an autist here, it's 4chan

>> No.18997055

>>18997026
I should also note that while these may not address, directly, issues with communication, they may help you formulate your own answers rather than the need to put out a wiki summary of what you read.