[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 647 KB, 2572x1928, 100_1510.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18955595 No.18955595 [Reply] [Original]

Were/Are you parents /lit/erary?

Do you think it impacted you and your tastes in storytelling?

Did they read to you as a little kid?

What were your mums and dads' favourite books. (pic rel)

>> No.18955619

Mum likes Nietzsche.

>> No.18955629

>>18955595
Give your Dad the Jordan Peterson book.

>> No.18955650

>>18955595
They pretended like books a lot when I was a kid. They always read to me and kept a stocked library, but the reality is neither of them read themselves and had no interest in books.

>> No.18955704

>>18955595
I've seen my father read one book in my whole life.
My mother read some classics when she was younger, she had her "muslim women beaten" period, her "latin american women kidnapped" period, and then basically stopped reading.

She did read to me as a kid.

>Do you think it impacted you and your tastes in storytelling?
Probably, but I can't say exactly how
>What were your mums and dads' favourite books. (pic rel)
no idea. For my father probably that single book, about gipsy culture and language

>> No.18955713

>>18955704
>"muslim women beaten" period, her "latin american women kidnapped"
Whoa your mum is definitely into some kinky stuff

>> No.18955771

>>18955595
My grandmother (on my mother's side) was a literature professor. My mother is also quite well-read although she seemed to have forgot most of the stuff she's read throughout the years. I, on the other hand, am a lazy degenerate.

>> No.18955814

>>18955595
My dad is a practicing shaman in a remote Philippine island (Siquijor) and has a stack of Christian thinkers and mystics like Augustine, Eriugyna, Pseudo-Dionysus, etc. because he tried the seminary once but also local orasyon (prayers) to the ka-agum (nature) called sators (Koronados, Infini deu, Dawi, etc.) when he took the position of the retired elder. I would say he's pretty lit because he talks of the scholastics with ease. Also he's a fan of general shroomer lit. My mom just cooks.

>> No.18955911

>>18955713
Lol, who knows.

>> No.18955916

>>18955911
I do

>> No.18955918

>>18955814
>shroomer lit
What's that? Leary, Huxley, etc?

>> No.18956000
File: 93 KB, 562x800, Anna karenina.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My Dad has a Master's in German literature (and a PhD in History), and his favorite author is Thomas Mann. Although he's pretty much a big fan of all German lit. And well read in the Canon generally speaking.

My Mom, while she doesn't have any degrees, has been a voracious reader since she was a kid. Her favorite contemporary writer is Victor Pelevan, and her favorite books are Swann's Way and Anna Karenina. The latter of which she rereads every other year. She grew up in the Soviet Union and has read pretty much all the major Russian-lit authors.

I wouldn't say my taste has been directly influenced by their tastes in literature. In fact when I was a kid I was really active and more into sports. My parents tried really hard to get me into reading, which only made me hate it as a kid. Instead I got into anime, but sometime midway through high school I ran out of good anime to watch (Berserk, Utena, Lain, Monster, Evangelion, etc). And decided I should shift to literature. I also liked my literature teachers in High School, and they helped me find joy in reading and analyzing texts.

I would watch movies semi-frequently with my Dad, and I think the movies he showed me (often obscure European movies) had a lot of influence over my general tastes. Of which I'm sure some spilled over into literature. But I only read a handful of books that my parents personally recommended. Of those I enjoyed Kafka's stories, in particular The Trail the most. I also liked Swann's Way, but due to an irl interruption I stopped halfway through and haven't picked it back up yet.

My personal favorite novels are Kokoro and Don Quixote.

>> No.18956037

>>18955595
When I was little, so, until I was 8, my dad had an office, and when he wasn't working, he was sitting in his chair, reading. I remember that extremely vividly, always opening the door and seeing him sitting there, jeans, t-shirt, his work boots... now I know what he was reading was Stephen King and Dean Koontz, but as a kid that didn't matter at all. The first real book I read was an old children's book he'd kept for one reason or another.
Also, I was a spastic little ADHD freak, so I spent every free minute reading. Thinking about it now, every time I found a new genre, I guess it was when I took one of the books from his shelf. Pern, Xanth, Stargate, Catcher in the Rye, Jurassic Park... I took them because they WEREN'T King or Koontz, but still. He stopped reading by the time I was 12 or so, but that doesn't really matter.

I didn't live with my mother until I was 15, but I remember that she read a lot "animals solve murders" books. She likes those.

Nowadays, I read the most, and most varied books. My brother likes dense Sci-fi, and I like... depends on my mood. Just about anything but romance and crime.

>> No.18956197
File: 22 KB, 474x454, sad frog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18955595
My old man was profoundly ignorant but he loved to act like he was well-read. He constantly made things up and acted like he was fully convinced of what he said through and through even in the face of reality. He just made shit up all the time and not in jest. I feel like he just got high from conning his own family that he was a much bigger and wiser man than he actually was. Say we are no a Christian family but we have this old Bible, he said that it was an "Apocryphal" Bible, because there were "passages that got deleted and are now totally forbidden", and no he wasn't talking in Protestant terms, he said that as if we had a hold on some sort of secret version of the Bible that is no longer out there. Of course it's just a random Catholic Bible. All Catholic Bibles have the Apocrypha. Why do people do this? Is this a pathology?

>> No.18956414

Dad intuits everything and lives off of his experience, never reads but has a pretty fun cynical outlook on things. I like listening to him when he has some idea about something, but even if i agree with him its like he fights back.

Mom reads single mom at 50 spiritual stuff and crime/thrillers like mad. She read Harry Potter and other kids books for me, i definitely think it made me more interested in fiction.

>> No.18956422

>>18956197
>Is this a pathology?
yeah. pathological liars just lie about anything and everything

>> No.18956424

>>18956197
>>18956422
but maybe he just has a complex

>> No.18956445

>>18956422
I've had a friend (?) like that and because of that we're no longer friends. He would confabulate about absolutely everything. He would make up crazy stories and be convinced they're completely believable. Most of the time it was pretty harmless, sometimes funny, sometimes annoying, but a few times he crossed me big-time because of it. As he refused to acknowledge his guilt, I ditched the acquaintance. Any books on what is going on in such a person's head?

>> No.18956450

>>18956197
>All Catholic Bibles have the Apocrypha
????

>> No.18956487

>>18956424
Yeah, there is a big difference between a pathological liar and your run of the mill reddit tier bugman. It's like people who claim they have ocd and their "rituals" are 2-5 seconds tops. The gaeden variety case usually happens when a midwit finds himself in a position with some authority and is too fucking retarded to realize the limit of his own intellect. A father role is the perfect fit for this although I have seen numerous members of church leadership fit this mold too. The key is having underlings more retarded than the midwit so children, a demure wife, and salt of the earth religious folks are perfect ingredients. Real pathological liars are on another level entirely of bullahit. You could say the distinction is the midwit man of authority seeks the admiration of those immediately under his authority while the pathological liar compulsively seeks the attention of complete strangers.