[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 77 KB, 283x351, 490DB1D8-C9C6-455E-BCC0-C8E7B07F3FB6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18907968 No.18907968 [Reply] [Original]

Cow tools

>> No.18907975

>>18907968
Peak comedy, not lit tho.

>> No.18908027

>>18907975
How is not /lit/? It is the most succinct representation of despair (in the Kierkegaardian sense) that exists. The cow has constructed human tools, high-quality tools, tools a human could use, but the cow presumably cannot. However, whether the cow can use them is functionally irrelevant. What is relevant is that the cow desires to be something other than what God made him to be, he aspires to be human. This is a fundamental disruption or straining in what it means to be one with god, for a relation to God implies a question of closeness to what God made a being to be and what that being either is or aspires to be. In this case, the cow has human traits (standing on two legs, has created tools), and clearly aspires to be human. Yet this is exactly why, as he stands there, he looks so disappointed, so irritated. The satisfaction he thought would come from his tools has not come because this cow is in despair.

>> No.18908055

>>18908027
I think he looks content.

>> No.18908092

"The cartoon was intended to be an exercise in silliness. While I have never met a cow who could make tools, I felt sure that if I did, they (the tools) would lack something in sophistication and resemble the sorry specimens shown in this cartoon. I regret that my fondness for cows, combined with an overactive imagination, may have carried me beyond what is comprehensible to the average Far Side reader."

>> No.18908127

>>18908027
Yeah cool all that except it's in a visual art form. Not written media. Unless you consider the entirety of the work the words Cow tools. But thatd be silly because the words only make sense with the picture, and the picture is obviously the more important part to work. Especially considering it's worth at least a thousand words.

>> No.18908195

>>18908027
You imbecile. You fool. Cow Tools is the vey picture of a miracle.
>The cow has constructed human tools, high-quality tools, tools a human could use, but the cow presumably cannot.
YES—Man was made in the image of God, and so the cow becomes closer to God by becoming closer to Man! The cow is not in despair. The cow stands upright by the grace of God!

>> No.18908202

>>18908027
>Kierkegaardian
text your mom dude

>> No.18908224
File: 822 KB, 1190x595, lol-t-shirt-designer-hopes-to-make-money-from-the-north-korean-assassination.jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18907968
"cow tools" has similar energy to "kangaroo notebook," except the inclusion of a visual representation obscures the absurdity of the concept. To some extent it's an inversion of what Larson typically achieves using the same formula (ie the emergence of the absurd from the mundane, or as a conclusion to the mundane).
More to the point, I consider the trifecta of Cow tools, $1 pizza from 2 Bros., and Kim Jong-nams assassin wearing a "LOL" t-shirt as, contre Fukuyama, the true end of history.