[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 358 KB, 500x616, 1282131455047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1890607 No.1890607 [Reply] [Original]

LAST THREE READS
CURRENTLY READING
NEXT THREE

LAST THREE:
HEDDA GABLER - IBSEN
MEDA - EURIPIDES
SOME PREFER NETTLES - TANIZAKI

CURRENT:
THE PRECIPICE - GONCHAROV

NEXT THREE:
DAPHNIS AND CHLOE - LONGUS (STILL WAITING ON SHAREMATE TO FINISH IT)
THE MONKEY'S PAW - JACOBS
PROBABLY THE CREATED LEGEND BY SOLOGUB, OR A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE BY WILDE

MAKE SURE TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS ETC.

>> No.1890620

>>1890607

I've never heard of any of that stuff.

>> No.1890617

Maybe if everyone who posts in this sages you will vanish to the last page and shit Why do you think anyone cares what you are reading?

>> No.1890628

>>1890617
OH WELL, THE THING IS, I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW THINGS TO READ. THREADS LIKE THIS ENCOURAGES ANONS WHO ARE WORRIED ABOUT BEING SHUT DOWN FOR READING SOMETHING DIFFERENT, I OFTEN GET MANY IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ LATER ON IN THREADS LIKE THIS.

>>1890620
A SIMPSON'S HALLOWEEN STORY IS BASED OFF OF THE MONKEY'S PAW.

GONCHAROV WROTE OBLOMOV, WHICH POPS UP HERE AND THERE IN /LIT/. APPARENTLY HE WASN'T A ONE HIT WONDER LIKE MANY SAID, JUST PEOPLE ARE OBLIVIOUS OR IGNORANT TO THE EXISTENCE OF HIS OTHER STUFF

>> No.1890657

Last 3:

Tartuffe by Moliere
McTeague by Frank Norris
Oedipus at Colonus by Sophocles

Currently reading:

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Next reads:

The Scarlet Letter
Pudd'nhead Wilson
The Last of the Mohicans

>> No.1890665

Last 3:

Wetlands by Charlotte Roche
A Loyal Character Dancer by Qiu Xiaolong
The Claw of The Conciliator by Gene Wolfe

Currently:
I'm between books at the moment. It'll either by When Red is Black by Qiu Xiaolong, or The Sword of The Lictor by Gene Wolfe

Next three:
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
A Case of Two Cities by Qiu Xiaolong
The Citadel of The Autarch by Gene Wolfe

>> No.1890724

>>1890620

You honestly never heard of Euripides? Wow.

Seriously, just wow.

Last Three:

Madame Bovary - Flaubert (I found this amazing - I can't believe it took me so long to get round to reading it, nor how much I enjoyed it. I raced through this, and loved it).

Into the Forbidden Zone - William T. Vollman (short piece about the post-earthquake situation in Japan. Interesting, but nothing earth-shattering. The guy doesn't like nuclear power, that came through to me)
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (Did I get old, or did that get not funny? I bought a collection of all the books for my kindle and halfway through the first one I was thinking "wow, I wish I'd bought a Terry Pratchett book instead")

Currently Reading:

His Toy, His Dream, His Rest - John Berryman (Awesome, if you don't know Berryman's poetry, then do yourself a favour and get a copy of The Dream Songs)

Next Three:

No idea - I may read some more Flaubert, And I've got another three Douglas Adams books on the kindle. I've also got a hankering to read 2666 - I like Bolano's poetry, so maybe one of his novels would be a kick.

>> No.1890726

LAST THREE
>Skylark by Dezső Kosztolányi
>The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
>Professor Dowell's Head by Aleksandr Beliaev

CURRENTLY READING
>After the Quake by Haruki Murakami
>Today I Wrote Nothing by Daniil Kharms
>The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China by Lu Xun

NEXT THREE
>The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson
>A Country Doctor's Notebook by Mikhail Bulgakov
>The Day of the Owl by Leonardo Sciascia

And I'm going to be reading Aelita by Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy soon also, caps. I dunno if it's of interest to you, but he was related to both Tolstoy and Turgenev. It's an early Soviet science fiction book. Thought I might mention it!

>> No.1890740

>>1890726

>After the Quake by Haruki Murakami

Weird you should post directly after me - while I was reading the Vollmann piece I was wondering if Murakami had written anything about the quake/tsunami thing this year? He was pretty quick out of the blocks when the aum shinrikyo thing happened on the underground, if I remember. Does anyone know if he's written anything about the most recent catastrophe?

>> No.1890745

LAST THREE READS:
-Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
-Naked Lunch - William Burroughs
-Sula - Toni Morrison (for class, god help me)

CURRENTLY READING:
-Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski

NEXT THREE:
-Grand Strategies - Charles Hill
-Another Bukowski, don't know which one
-A History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell

Gonna be a good summer.

>> No.1890762

>>1890740
I personally don't know, since this is the first book by Murakami I've read and I don't know too much about the guy. I know there are a ton of fans of his around /lit/ though, so someone may know.

>> No.1890770

>>1890762

He was killed in the Tsunami, you're being trolled.

>> No.1890797

>>1890726
OH AWESOME!

NEVER HEARD OF THIS ONE BEFORE, FROM BASIC SEARCHES CAN'T FIND ANY EBOOKS OF IT FOR FREE, SO MIGHT BE SOME TIME BEFORE I READ IT. MANY THANKS.

>> No.1890825

last three :

"Portnoy's Complaint" (Roth) obscene and funny, a bit tiring in the end
"The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge" (Rilke) very beautifully written, some kind of impressionit recollection of feelings, thoughts and sensations
"Swann's Way" (Proust), I couldn't stop, many people say Proust is boring or fastifious to read, but it's actually very beautiful, often funny, and quite truthful in my opinion.)

Current:

In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (Proust)

Next three:

Billy Budd (Melville)
Belle du Seigneur (A. Cohen)
The Guermantes Way (Proust)

>> No.1890873

>>1890726

What do you think of that translation of Lu Xun? I already have two other translations of all of his short stories, so I was sort of annoyed when another one appeared. Admittedly it's the first one published by a large publisher and thus readily available, but it seems like Penguin keeps retranslating works that don't really need to be retranslated (like Kokoro for example) when there's so much stuff yet to be done in English.

>> No.1890918

Last 3:
Dubliners - James Joyce
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K. Dick
The Pleasure of the Text - Barthes

Current: Steppenwolfe - Hermann Hesse

Next 3:
Remembrance of Things - Marcel Proust
Fool - Christopher Moore
Kafka on the Shore - Murakami

>> No.1890923

>>1890873
I haven't read other translations of his work (I'm planning to after this one, eventually), but these seem very good. Readable, still humorous in the stories that are supposed to be, melancholy where appropriate, and the repetition and bitterness that the introduction mentioned seem to also have been kept well. I've only read the Outcry section so far though! I'm not sure what the other editions are like for extra things, but I think the whole intro/chronology/endnotes make it pretty valuable, at least.

I'm thinking of taking it to a Chinese professor I know and asking her a bit about how the translation stands. I know she's a big fan of Mo Yan and Yu Hua and all them, so she's surely read Lu Xun.

Anyway, I'm actually kind of a fan of multiple translations, especially of major authors like Soseki and Lu Xun. It's fun to me to read all these different takes (I've read several translations for Akutagawa, for example) on these works. I agree it's a bit disappointing when you consider what they're passing over in favor of them, but. I dunno. I guess I'm just the type who takes what they can get.

That said! Which of the other two Lu Xun translations do you prefer? I'd like to know which to pick up next.

>> No.1891000

>>1890825

>In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (Proust)

Pedophile bastard. Get back to hell.

>> No.1891018

Currently reading The Devils by Dostoevsky. It's my first Dos novel and I'm really liking it. I tried reading him back in high school but couldn't get into it because I was more into Southern literature back then. The only problem I have with it is that there are a ton of characters and I hate how every Russian seems to have 5 different names and the there's never just one used by the narrator so it can be easy to lose track of all the -kovs, -tins, and -govs but from what I remember of Father and Sons by Turgenev this seems to be normal in Russian literature. Also learned from the introduction that some of his novels were serialized and that they were made long to accommodate his gambling and drinking problems. I also found it funny that at one point when he was in danger of being sent to prison again he was actually excited at the prospect because it meant he could gather more material for another House of the Dead memoir. So far I'd give it a 7/10. I love the clash of ideologies between Slavophiles, Westerners, Nihilists, and Romantics. Dislike the jerky pacing of the story itself. The deep characterization of relationships and the nuances of interactions borders sometimes between impressive and obnoxious. He's best when he puts the novel aside and waxes philosophical. In my opinion Dostoevsky would have been a far better essayist than novelist.

>> No.1891021

LAST THREE:
As a Man Grows Older - Italo Svevo
Pitch Anything - Oren Klaff
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce

CURRENT:
Infinite Jest - DFW

NEXT THREE:
Picture of Dorian Gray - Wilde for someone else
Not sure on the other two. Probably Fathers and Sons - Turgenev and Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino? Something economic/finance related too.

>> No.1891492

>>1890923

Well, if you'd like to compare, go for "Diary of a Madman" (University of Hawaii Press). The Yangs actually translated his almost-complete works but it's only available at a decent price in China (bilingual editions of five books reprinted last year) - in America there's "Selected Stories of Lu Hsun" published by W. W. Norton (so I guess a relatively large publisher has published Lu Xun.)

I love multiple translations too - someday I want to read simultaneously all 4 in-print translations of Botchan (counting the ancient one on Project Gutenberg). But there's so much potentially interesting stuff not yet available in English.

>> No.1891751

Last three:
Everything is Illuminated - Foer
A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut

Current:
At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft

Next three:
Catch 22 - Heller
God and His Demons - Parenti
Slaughter House Five - Vonnegut

>> No.1891973

Last Three
>The Penal Colony - Kafka
>The Big Trip Up Yonder - Vonnegut
>To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper

Current
>The Wasp Factory - Banks

Next Three
>The Thirty-Nine Steps - Buchan
>The Outsider - Camus
And hopefully my Tao Lin will arrive in time to be my 3rd read.

>> No.1891982

PREVIOUS
Atonement by McEwan
Red Mars by Robinson
The Enigma of Capital by Harvey

Current
King Rat by Clavell

Next
Dunno probably the rest of the Red Mars series

>> No.1893264

LAST THREE:
HEDDA GABLER - IBSEN
MEDA - EURIPEDES

CURRENT:
THE MONKEY'S PAW - JACOBS

NEXT THREE:
THE FIRM OF NUCINGEN - BALZAC
A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE - WILDE
THE DEVIL - MAUPASSANT

I'M GOING TO TRY TO READ ALL OF BALZAC'S WORKS IN MY LIFETIME, IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME!

>> No.1893342

I WILL SOON BE STARTING TO READ SOME OF MOLIERE'S PLAYS. MY CONCERN IS THAT I KNOW NEXT TO NOTHING ABOUT 1600'S FRANCE, AND IT SEEMS AT FIRST GLACE THAT SOME OF HIS WORKS CONCERN THE SOCIAL STRUCTURE AND THE LIKE.

MY QUESTION IS, CAN I ENJOY HIS WORKS SOLELY BY READING THEM ON THEIR OWN, OR SHOULD I DO A BIT OF READING UP FIRST?

>> No.1893882

LAST THREE:
THE DEVIL - MAUPASSANT
A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE - WILDE

CURRENT:
THE FIRM OF NUCINGEN - BALZAC

NEXT THREE:
NO EXIT - SARTRE
THE NECKLACE - MAUPASSANT
BERNICE BOBS HER HAIR - FITZGERALD

I AM FINDING BALZAC TO BE ONE OF THOSE AUTHORS THAT ARE REALLY HIT OR MISS, STRAIGHT AWAY I AM THROWN INTO A MAN OVERHEARING A CONVERSATION OF A SMALL GROUP OF MEN DISCUSS FINANCIAL CONSPIRACIES AT THE TIME THAT RESULT IN CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS SUCCEED TO THE TOP OF FRANCE'S FINANCIAL MARKETS, AND THEN MANAGE TO BUST INTO POVERTY.

THE THING IS, I JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT ALL THE TECHNICALITIES OF THE FINANCIAL MARKETS AT THE TIME, WHICH IS A REOCCURRING THEME IN BALZAC'S WORKS.

>> No.1893908

IN THE PAST NINE HOURS i"VE READ GOLVOV, ANASTOV, DMITRIOV AND PROVOV I'M GETTING READY TO GO TO JAPAN CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND SOME FENSELOV FOR MY TREIP TO JAPAN I'VE READ THE RED DEATH THE WHITE PLAGUE THE GREEN CLOWN AND THE BLUE MIST ANTONOV ZUFLAKOV GOING TO CHINA READING ROLVLOV JAPAN JAPAN LAST THREE READ IN THE PAST TWENTY MINUTES WAR AND PEACE 2/10 RECOMMEND ANY RUSSIAN LIT FOR MY TRIP TO JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN ANTONOV TRIP TO JAPAN WHILE TYPING THIS I JUST READ THE ORANGE CLOUD BY DOSTENOV AND THE GREY UNICORN BY YUPYENOV JAPAN TRIP IN THE PAST NINE HOURS i"VE READ GOLVOV, ANASTOV, DMITRIOV AND PROVOV JAPAN TRIP JAPAN IN THE PAST NINE HOURS i"VE READ GOLVOV, ANASTOV, DMITRIOV AND PROVOV I'M GETTING READY TO GO TO JAPAN CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND SOME FENSELOV FOR MY TREIP TO JAPAN I'VE READ THE RED DEATH THE WHITE PLAGUE THE GREEN CLOWN AND THE BLUE MIST ANTONOV ZUFLAKOV GOING TO CHINA READING ROLVLOV JAPAN JAPAN LAST THREE READ IN THE PAST TWENTY MINUTES WAR AND PEACE 2/10 RECOMMEND ANY RUSSIAN LIT FOR MY TRIP TO JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN ANTONOV TRIP TO JAPAN WHILE TYPING THIS I JUST READ THE ORANGE CLOUD BY DOSTENOV AND THE GREY UNICORN BY YUPYENOV JAPAN TRIP IN THE PAST NINE HOURS i"VE READ GOLVOV, ANASTOV, DMITRIOV AND PROVOV JAPAN TRIP JAPAN

>> No.1893919

You're really boring and uninsightful.

>> No.1893923

>>1893919
COOL STORY MAN. NOT HERE FOR YOUR ENLIGHTENMENT OR ENTERTAINMENT.

>> No.1893941

>LAST THREE READS
*Atlas Shrugged : took me about a month of solid reading to finish this. Only read it because of the reactions I saw here. Worth a read. John Galt's million page monologue was hard to get through.

*Dracula : heard good things about it, so I decided to give it a crack. Well written and interesting. Never really pulled me completely into the world, but a good read nonetheless.

*Starship Troopers: Saw the movie, thought I should read the book. Warning; the book focuses alot more on politics than battles. Worth a read (it's only a couple hundred pages long)
>CURRENTLY READING
*the godpather
>NEXT THREE
???

>> No.1893984

>Last Three
Dostoevsky - Notes from Underground
Abbott - Flatland
Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment

>Current
Camus - The Fall

>Next Three
Dostoevsky - The Idiot
Bret Easton Ellis - Imperial Bedrooms
Camus - The Rebel

>> No.1893996

>>1893941
>Dracula
Had that for a class this semester and didn't finish, or read that much at all. Looking to read it over the weekend though. Good to hear it's enjoyable to some people at least.
>Starship Troopers
Aw shit, my second favorite book of all time (more or less)! Liking it so far?

LAST THREE:
On Writing - Stephen King
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
The Colour Out of Space - H.P. Lovecraft, who is pretty overrated

CURRENT:
Tomorrow's Eve - Villers (I swear I will never actually finish this probably)
Dracula - Bram Stoker
FUEL - Edited by John Knecthel, non-fiction about energy over-consumption

NEXT THREE:
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Sword of Fire and Sea: The Chaos Knight Book One - Erin Hoffman (also known as the EA Spouse)
Shadow Over Innsmouth - H.P. Lovecraft, giving him a second chance.

>> No.1894012

>LAST THREE:
Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami
No and Me - Delphine de Vigan
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

>CURRENT:
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

>NEXT THREE:
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
???
???

>> No.1894038

Last three reads:
Life of Alexander of Macedon, Callisthenes.
Ab Urbe Condita, Titus Livy.
Speeches, Iseus.

Currently reading:
Historia Romana, Cassius Dio.

Next three:
Historia Romana, Ammianus Marcelinus.
Pharsalia, Luccanus.
Secret History, Procopius.

FUCK YOU WORLD, I WILL EVENTUALLY READ EVERYTHING THE ANCIENT WORLD LEFT US AND THERE'S NOT A GODDAMN THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT

>> No.1894039

>>1890726
LAST THREE
>after the quake by Haruki Murakami
>Skylark by Dezső Kosztolányi
>The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares

CURRENTLY READING
>The Day of the Owl by Leonardo Sciascia
>Today I Wrote Nothing by Daniil Kharms
>The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China by Lu Xun

NEXT THREE
>The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson
>A Country Doctor's Notebook by Mikhail Bulgakov
>Foam of the Daze by Boris Vian

>> No.1894045

>>1894039

Long Ships kicks ass. Enjoy your epic Viking saga.

>> No.1894159

>>1894038
GOD SPEED ANON, GOD SPEED.

>> No.1894192
File: 11 KB, 429x410, 1281927785404.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Every once in awhile, it really does bother me how little analysis and discussion happens in these threads. This one has more than usual and it's still not much.
It's sad because these really are the sort of foundation or core threads of /lit/, the equivalent of rate threads on /soc/ or share threads on /mu/, or ephebophilia on /tv/, what usually happens to be on the front page, a point about "this is what we do here"... and this is what our core is, a mundane listing of potential accomplishments with the occasional person who seems genuinely interested.

>> No.1894214

>>1894192
I often think about this too. Threads like these are just self-gratifying, nothing more.

>> No.1894230

>>1894192
YOU VIEW IT AS PEOPLE POSTING THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS, I VIEW IT AS A MEANS OF BEING ABLE TO INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD OF FINDING MORE THINGS TO READ, CONSIDERING THAT THREADS THAT TYPICALLY HAVE AN ENTIRE THREAD DEDICATED TO THEM ARE THE SAME SHIT.

>> No.1894236

LOL, BOOKS WITH THREADS DEDICATED TO THEM*

IT'S FUNNY HOW FUCKING UP ONE WORD CAN SCREW UP EVERYTHING

>> No.1894240

>>1894192
I apologize for reading books. If you want someone to talk about them, ask. It's difficult to push yourself to write and type a review on every book you read when you're aware that no one gives a shit, no one will read it, and that they're more likely to respond to a quick title and author drop. Even though this is /lit/, people still tend to skim longer paragraphs.

So try to come up with a different method of how we should all convey what we've been reading. I tried to make a "how did your June go reading-wise" thread and it more or less failed. I tried to include more than just a list in the template, asking if anyone found any favorites, did re-reads, had decent variety, and so on. But whatever. Everyone seems to complain about list threads, but they never do anything to help make things better.

>> No.1894257

>>1894230
This isn't an argument, it's a lateral shift of the same disappointment. "BUT OTHER PEOPLE DO IT TOO." doesn't really address what I said.
Finding things to read should involve reviews, suggestions (which those other threads involve, people commenting upon the books through association with like authors, terms, themes, etc.), or discussion. I see no reason to read anything in this thread except that people state that said book exists, that they've read it, are currently reading it, or are planning on reading it.

>> No.1894259

>>1894240
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. I KNOW I AM NOT THE MOST LITERATE FREQUENTER OF /LIT/, BUT WHEN I DO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT CERTAIN TITLES, THEY TEND TO JUST GO IGNORED (SEE THIS THREAD FOR EXAMPLE, NO ONE REPLIED TO MY BALZAC REMARKS OR MY QUESTION ABOUT MOLIERE.

I'M NOT COMPLAINING, IT'S JUST I'M NOT GOING TO STRAIN MYSELF TO WRITE UP A DISCUSSION FOR EVERY BOOK I READ JUST FOR IT TO GO IGNORED AND THEN THE THREAD BE SUBSEQUENTLY DELETED.

>> No.1894265
File: 53 KB, 937x355, dneanalysis.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1894259
> IT'S JUST I'M NOT GOING TO STRAIN MYSELF TO WRITE UP A DISCUSSION FOR EVERY BOOK I READ JUST FOR IT TO GO IGNORED AND THEN THE THREAD BE SUBSEQUENTLY DELETED.

huh weird that never happens to my threads

>> No.1894268

>>1894257
This thread did contain more than just listing, but you're apparently choosing to ignore it. Each one of these posts contained commentary or discussion. Maybe not as "in-depth" and critical as you want, but it's there.

>>1890724
>>1890628
>>1890740
>>1890762
>>1890873
>>1890923
>>1891018
>>1891492
>>1893342
>>1893882
>>1893996

>> No.1894286

>>1894265
I meant to ask you, I've seen you post a book on this method of analysis that you're going into there, can you suggest it if you remember one you fall back on, or an essential? I've had a renewed interest in theory after reading some essays that make deconstruction more approachable.

>> No.1894287

>>1894265
BY DELETION I MEAN PAGE 15.

PEOPLE REPLY TO YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR TRIP. NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID, GUARANTEED REPLIES.

>> No.1894296

>>1894268
>This thread did contain more than just listing,
I didn't ignore that:
>This one has more than usual and it's still not much.
I even acknowledged that this one has an unusual amount of it. This particular one has what I'm saying is overall lacking, that doesn't alleviate or argue against the problem I'm talking about, especially considering I already pointed out that it doesn't alleviate or argue against the problem I'm talking about.

>> No.1894306

I REMEMBER WANTING TO TALK ABOUT THE BEAT WRITERS IN MY THREAD , BUT NO ONE GAVE A SHIT ABOUT IT AND NOW IT"S PROBABLY ABOUT TO BE DELETED.

>> No.1894313

>>1894296
So why don't you try to do something about it, other than complaining? Make your own thread for what you want, instead of going into other threads and bitching about how horrible they are.

Even when you made similar threads to this, with added "discussion" elements, many posters were completely ignored. Very few people care about a random anon on 4chan's thoughts on Dostoevsky or whatever. And if you read anything other than Dostoevsky or Borges of Vonnegut or the handful of other well-known authors who are posted here day in and day out, you are going to completely overlooked.

There's really no way for these kinds of threads to work that I can think of, because no one really cares what everyone else is reading.

>> No.1894315

>>1894287
>PEOPLE REPLY TO YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR TRIP. NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID, GUARANTEED REPLIES.
Not true, just look at that tryhard Stradlater: he doesn't get any more replies than any other boring anonymous nobody

>> No.1894324

>>1894315
NO, I MEAN, YOU, DEEPANDEDGY. YOUR IDENTITY. PEOPLE HERE EITHER LOVE YOU OR HATE YOU, AND THEY SHOW IT!

>> No.1894333

>>1894315
Don't bash Strad, he's one of the few tripfags here who actually does any service to the board by giving out concrit and helpful advice without having a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

>> No.1894339

>>1894333
>without having a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

That's kind of funny, as he's admitted that his Christian beliefs are what make him act so nice.

>> No.1894344

.>>1894339
Ok, that made me laugh. I really phrased my comment in the wrong way, didn't I? I should have said, "without putting down those he replies to."

>> No.1894351

>>1894313
>So why don't you try to do something about it, other than complaining?

>you made similar threads to this with added "discussion" elements

I haven't made those threads in awhile, my original post was just kind of lamenting the vacuum.

>There's really no way for these kinds of threads to work that I can think of, because no one really cares what everyone else is reading.

There's something defeatist about this that I really dislike. It's a very dull sort of cynicism. Anyhow, my point now, which wasn't before, is to convince Capsguy to switch up the format a little.

>IT'S JUST I'M NOT GOING TO STRAIN MYSELF TO WRITE UP A DISCUSSION FOR EVERY BOOK I READ JUST FOR IT TO GO IGNORED AND THEN THE THREAD BE SUBSEQUENTLY DELETED.

Why strain yourself? Write a simple, concise review. It shouldn't take that much thought or effort. That's exactly what I did with my threads, I put little to no thought or effort into it, I said "Ok, I read it, just off the top of my head, some stuff I thought as I was reading it, ok, done." Sure, this created one absolutely awful review of Maugham's Of Human Bondage, but people called me out on it, which was itself a discussion.

As for Moliere and Balzac, and really to address this "But no one will talk about the lesser-known ones" issue, that's where this comes into play, Capsguy's own words in Cruise Control For Cool:
>I VIEW IT AS A MEANS OF BEING ABLE TO INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD OF FINDING MORE THINGS TO READ
This is how you increase the likelihood. If you post a review, a set of why's to read it, people are more likely to read it than just seeing:
>people state that said book exists

I'm done for tonight, I think, unless for some reason I can't get to sleep. Just offering you some food for thought, Capsguy, wasn't really a personal attack or anything at all like that.

>> No.1894366

>>1894351
I love you, Behemoth.

>> No.1894372

>>1894351
haven't you learned to not even try and reason with capsguy
he is the champion of idiots

>> No.1894414

LAST THREE READS: (All for school, the fuckers left me with literally no time to read what I wanted)
Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel García Márquez
Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter- Mario Vargas Llosa
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

CURRENTLY READING:
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - Victor Hugo

NEXT THREE:
The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez

....and I need more options to read through the summer.

>> No.1894427

>>1894351
I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BEHEMOTH, PERHAPS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE I WILL MAKE IT A THREAD MORE ALONG THE LINES OF:

"POST BOOK(S) YOU HAVE RECENTLY READ THAT YOU'D WISH MORE PEOPLE ON /LIT/ TO READ AND WHY YOU ENJOYED IT OR WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND IT"

>> No.1894488

>>1893996
left the thread to do some other stuff.

Yeah, I liked it. Having only seen the movie, I really wasn't expecting the focus to be on politics and human nature as much as it was. Luckily for me, I've always been failry conservative in my beliefs so I found myself agreeing with Heinlein alot. Also, the arachnids in the book are about a thousand times better than the movie bugs. In the movie they were had no technology, whereas in the book they are described as having energy weapons and shit like that (which I think is awesome).

I can't remember it in detail, but the military instructors speech / discussion with his class about how only those who have served get to vote, and why the government system they have works was up there with my favourite parts of the book.

Dracula is definately worth a read. I tried reading it when I was 10 years old, I think, and wasn't getting anywhere. I was too young to understand what was going on. Parts of it are legitimately creepy though.

>> No.1894521

>>1894315

I do not try hard at all. I am just genuinely nice.

Also I am halfway through Rabbit Redux by Updike

I am reading some Faulkner up next.

>> No.1894524

>>1894521
>Rabbit Redux by Updike

Did you read Rabbit, Run? If so, how was it? I will probably be reading it eventually.

>> No.1894538

>>1894524

Yes. It is very 1960s. Updike is a brilliant writer with a masterful command of language that seems so simple yet is clouded. I rather enjoyed all of them so far.

>> No.1894539

>>1894521
Hiya Strad!
What do you think of the Rabbit series so far? I had those books recommended to me, but I haven't made us my mind yet whether I should read them.

>> No.1894541

>>1894539

They are definitely worth your time. You join the character of Rabbit when he is developed. It is easy to drop in to and become hooked.

>> No.1894543

>>1894538
Oh, lol. Disregard >>1894539.

>> No.1895023

LAST THREE

a clash of kings george rr martin
a storm of swords - george rr martin
a feast for crows - george rr martin

current - the gunslinger - stephen king

next three - a dance with dragons - george rr martin
assasins aprentice - robin hobbs
dark tower book 2 - stephen king

>> No.1895038

Last Three:
Rendezvous with Rama
Eating the Dinosaur
The Brothers Karamazov

Currently reading:
The Plague, in Spanish :/

Next Three:
The Queen of Spades and other stories, Pushkin
Spring Torrents, Turgenev
Either Beyond Good and Evil, or 100 years of solitude, or God's Hammer (really unlikely) or In Cold Blood by Capote.
I really really want Girl with Curious Hair but my nook broke and now I have to buy it physically.

Capsguy I'd like you to tell me what you thought of those russian books I bought, I know you like russians so maybe you can prepare me for whats coming with them? I've only read Dostoevsky before.

>> No.1895054

bamp

>> No.1895060

CAPS GUY

Why so all over the place? You read like a play of one author then move on to the next, and so on and so on.

I couldn't possible do that. I always have to read the "complete works" of an author before moving on.

>> No.1895067

>>1895060
it's not just capsguy, most people don't read like that.

>> No.1895474

Last three:
"Bartleby, the Scrivener"- Herman Melville
"The Lady with the Pet Dog-" Chekhov
"Misery"- Chekhov

Currently:
Paradise Lost- Milton
Invisible Man- Ralph Ellison
Dubliners- James Joyce

Next three:
Catch-22- Joseph Heller
Ceremony- Leslie Marmon Silko