[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 309x475, 51545TM7AZL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1888279 No.1888279 [Reply] [Original]

So, I've heard this praised on nothing less than superlative terms my whole life by people of vastly different tastes. I finally read it. And I have to say, As I Lay Dying, Light in August, heck, even The Bear, are all way better. How did this become THE definitive Faulkner novel? Thoughts?

>> No.1888288

Isn't The Bear more of a short story?

>> No.1888411

In some ways, it's more original.

>> No.1888415

>>1888288
No it is more of a bear

hth

>> No.1888432

>>1888415
>hth

im 12 and wat is this?

>> No.1888434

>>1888432
happy to help

hth

>> No.1888444

Having read As I Lay Dying, Light in August, and The Sound and the Fury, I respectfully disagree.
I feel like this is mainly due to Quentin's section because the emotions are so crystal clear throughout the text despite the muddled narrative, which really enhances the character's conflict. Benjy's and Jason's sections are similar in how they're crafted, and I think it's really done perfectly.
Which isn't to say As I Lay Dying or Light in August aren't good, they're both great novels, but I think The Sound and the Fury just sort of transcends them.
That's my opinion, anyway, but I see why you think what you think. If you want to, reread the Sound and the Fury, I did and was able to appreciate it a lot more and gain a lot more perspective on its events that you might not get on a first readthrough due to all the textual self-reflection
i am so happy i got to use that phrase

>> No.1888448

Absalom, Absalom! is superior to all of the above, in my humble opinion. The Sound and the Fury is indisputably a great novel, though.

>> No.1888449

jason compson is one of only a handful of literary characters i got legitimately pissed at

let luster have those fuckin tickets youf uckin jerk

>> No.1888456

I think it is considered the 'best' because Faulkner is one of the authors you need to train yourself to read. You can't just dive straight in, and TSATF is regarded as the last one you should read, as you will have 'learned' how to read his stuff now. That's what everyone I know told me, and I would agree somewhat. I'm glad I read his other work before TSATF. Also Jason can go suck a fuck.

>> No.1888463

>>1888456
Isn't Absalom, Absalom! the most commonly recommended final Faulkner novel?

Also "Once a bitch always a bitch, what I say."

>> No.1889243

>>1888456
That's an interesting point, and one that seems to crop up with a lot of the high modernists (Joyce, Woolf, Mann etc.), but isn't it also sort of silly? I mean, how many Faulkner novels do I have to read before I'm able to "get" the sound and the fury? I totally agree that with some authors one or two of their books might be significantly more difficult to get into then their others. But I find it hard to believe that the sound and the Fury will magically clarify itself after I've read his 18 other novels

>> No.1889274

I tried reading this last year and gave up 20 pages in. I shouldn't feel too bad about this right?

>> No.1889288

>>1888449
lol faulkner's characters in this are so awesome. even though he's a prick, jason is the only one who stayed to look after his mother.

>> No.1889550

>>1889274
yes you should