[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 548 KB, 1075x738, say no to vedanta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.18798910 [Reply] [Original]

Why are so many young people on this board so obsessed with Buddhism/Advaita non-dualism, Hinduism, Esotericism, Gnosticism, Guenon and other idolatries?
/lit/erature on how to fight this impulse in the West and return the young people to a better state for their soul?

>For the worship of abominable idols is the cause, and the beginning and end of all evil.
>For either they are mad when they are merry: or they prophesy lies, or they live unjustly, or easily forswear themselves.
>For whilst they trust in idols, which are without life, though they swear amiss, they look not to be hurt.
>But for two things they shall be justly punished, because they have thought not well of God, giving heed to idols, and have sworn unjustly, in guile despising justice.

(Wisdom 14:27-30)

>For of a truth, O Lord, the kings of the Assyrians have laid waste lands, and their countries.
>And they have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods, but the works of men's hands, of wood and stone: and they broke them in pieces.
>And now, O Lord our God, save us out of his hand: and let all the kingdoms of the earth know, that thou only art the Lord.

(Isaiah 37:18-20)

>The idols of the Gentiles are silver and gold, the works of men's hands.
>They have a mouth, but they speak not: they have eyes, but they see not.
>They have ears, but they hear not: neither is there any breath in their mouths.
>Let them that make them be like to them: and every one that trusteth in them.

(Psalm 134:15-18)

>Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind.

(Colossians 2:18)

>Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry. I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf.

(1 Corinthians 10:14-17)

>> No.18798928

>>18798910
Up front, I'm still seeking, but I find myself growing closer and closer to Chrstianity once again. I blame the Church. In my upbringing, Church was a social club where the dues were a few bucks a week in the offering plate. Depending on which church we attended, service may have consisted of a typical dry sermon about how we ought to act, or maybe we would go to a methodist church and just aing contemporary worship music.

Either way, shit was weak sauce. Most intelligent teenagers see how superficial all of that is and just throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Later on, with a God shaped hole in their hearts, disillusioned ex-believers go to any other system of belief so long as it isn't "that dumb thing I realized is all bs long ago".

My .02

>> No.18798947

>>18798928
>I find myself growing closer and closer to Chrstianity once again
This is good to hear, brother. I will pray for you.
>Either way, shit was weak sauce. Most intelligent teenagers see how superficial all of that is and just throw the baby out with the bathwater.
>Later on, with a God shaped hole in their hearts, disillusioned ex-believers go to any other system of belief so long as it isn't "that dumb thing I realized is all bs long ago".
Yeah, experiences in fake churches masquerading as the one Christ established can be very damaging.

>> No.18798969

>>18798928
So this is your blog now? You're the new Londonfrog, but you announce your new journal entries with the exact same OP? Just checking in.

>> No.18798998

>>18798910
calling something an "idolatry" doesn't mean it's actually "idolatry". You can't just call non-dualism idolatrous in order for the Bible verses on idolatry to stick. There's nothing intrinsically idolatrous about non-dualism. On the contrary, it challenges the believer and confronts the tendency to try and make the divine conform to one's conceptions drawn from observations of the mundane world. In non-dualism, there's nothing that can be made an idol of.

By all means carry on criticising Gnosticism and trying to persuade people away from that heresy. But you won't get far if your understanding of what Gnosticism is doesn't go beyond lumping it into a broad and incongruous category of "beliefs that aren't mine".

Don't @ me, I don't intend to put any more effort than the above in responding to your shit thread.

>> No.18799008

>>18798969
No, I'm not OP.

>> No.18799024

>>18799008
OP, you are aware we can see the number of posters right? 4. Let's go through those 4:

This is one
>>18798947
This is another
>>18798969
This (me) is a third
>>18798998
And of course OP is a fourth
>>18798910

so explain how if you're not OP, you've managed to post without bumping up the poster count. You can't. Because you're OP.

>> No.18799057

>>18799024
Not him but a quick reading suggests that >>18798947 is probably OP.

>> No.18799062

>>18799057
oh fuck yeah you're right my bad.

>> No.18799068

>>18798910
Why would a perfectly good God care about the worship of idols? Surely, if their idols lead them to unjust acts, that is a fault in itself? That idolatry intrinsically leads to unjust acts would require a further argument.

>> No.18799075

>>18798910 (You)
Don't you get tired of making this stupid thread over and over again, Shlomo?
At least put some goddamn effort into it.
>idolatry
>idolatry
>idolatry

You don't even know what Advaita or nondualism is, moron. You should call this thread "refutations on idolatry" instead, but I guess that wouldn't gain you enough (you)s, right?

Sage

>> No.18799096

>>18799068
Idolatry itself is an unjust act and an affront to God. Instead of spending your limited time on worshipping God you worship a useless idol who cannot save you.

>> No.18799134

>>18799096
We have limited time because we only have what God gave us. Why is worshipping an idol an affront to God? What reason does God have to be jealous, or angry? Are not such things beneath him? When a man worships something which is not a God, he harms no one but himself.

>> No.18799198

>>18799134
>we only have what God gave us.
True. And we must make the best of it to serve Him.
>he harms no one but himself.
God does not want you to harm yourself. Engaging in idolatry is a waste of time with only bad consequences, so God does not want you to participate in it.

>> No.18799245

>>18799198
How can you serve God? What can God gain? Certainly he cannot gain anything material. And 'engaging in idolatry', while having no physical effect, can be easily seen to give mental benefits. So how can it be said to be a waste of time?

>> No.18799298
File: 49 KB, 327x137, tiredpepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18799008
>>18799096
>>18799134
>>18799198
>>18799245
>Samefagging this hard
Let your stupid thread die, Shlomo, Advaita has literally nothing to do with "idolatry", try again in a different thread that doesn't have "Advaita" in the title for attention.
Maybe you won't have to samefag that way.

>> No.18799302

>>18798910
>he posted it again

>> No.18799593

Non-dualism entails that the sensible world doesn't exist, that's the reductio of the view.

>> No.18799800

>>18799593
>book the advaitin uses to gain enlightenment is in the sensible world
>the sensible world doesn't exist
>so the tool for enlightenment doesn't exist
So one could say that the advaitin necessarily refutes himself and accepts that his enlightenment is a delusion... Epic reddit religion...

>> No.18799890

>>18799800
>dude achieves enlightenment through a book
LMAO, the absolute state of biblefags
Advaita does not "worship" a book nor get "enlightened" by text. Advaita is not Christianity you absolute fucking moron, such a concept does not exist.
At least do the minimum amount of research before trying to debate or criticize a concept you don't even understand.
sage

>> No.18799963

to use a horse to prove that a horse is not a horse is not as good as using a non-horse to prove that a horse is not a horse

>> No.18799967

>>18799075
>(OP) (You)
What DID he mean by this.......

>> No.18799990

>>18798910
>non-dualism
>Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf.
wdhmbt

>> No.18800029

>>18798910
Why are you quoting the bible to try to refute nondualism? I'm an Orthodox Christian and we're nondualists too.

>> No.18800148
File: 1.39 MB, 1600x1606, 1622941497017.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Every day you have this thread and every day you are retroactively refuted by noble non-dualist bodhisattvas and acharyas

>> No.18800191

>>18800029
He doesn't understand non-dualism, based orthobro.
He's probably one of those protestans who go outside with a megaphone to anyone who disagrees with his pastors' dogma.