[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 135 KB, 2531x3300, 1627826433569.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.18796946 [Reply] [Original]

I've seen it discussed a few times that in antiquity Plato was taught in a particular order starting with First Alcibiades. What were the other dialogues taught and what order were they taught?

Also, translation recommendations?

>> No.18796978

>>18796946
intro to hackett complete collection discusses this in depth

>> No.18797026
File: 70 KB, 308x308, plato_complete_works_173x260_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18796978
This? Thanks, do you also recommend this translation? Are the other notes also good?

>> No.18797071
File: 260 KB, 746x1033, plato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

any chronological list that divides into early-middle-late periods are philological inferences made after the fact. that being said the "Late" period works can be placed confidently and particularly the Laws being written last. this list isn't perfect but it's texts that don't have contested authorship and is pretty damn good. the most important thing really is to read vaguely in order, the order in which individual works are read within the periods doesn't particularly matter, just don't go reading the Republic first. It's also really important that you read the fucking Laws, it's the last thing he wrote at the height of his maturity and it shows Plato at his own sophisticated.

>> No.18797168

>>18796946
Mnemonic might be the worst word to demonstrate M I've ever seen, it literally has a silent M

>> No.18797617

>>18797168
That chart has several bad choices, and I really hope it's fake
>A- Aisle (silent A)
>C- Cue, and then Q- Queue, they're literally the same
>D- Double-U (technically fine, but picking this over the hundreds of proper words that start with D was just retarded)
>G- Gnat (silent G)
>I- Ian (not a big deal, but I would have preferred a short I)
>J- Jalapeno (uncommon J sound for the English language)
>K- Knight (silent K)
>O- Ouija (I think someone regions pronounce this differently, but here we say weega, which doesn't have a proper O sound)
>P- Phrase (uses F sound instead of P sound)
>T- Tsunami (silent T)
>Y- You (honestly this one is fine except for the fact that D is pronounced as "Double-You")

>> No.18797652

>>18797617
it is fake. it only takes 5 seconds to look up. but an interesting idea, making the words sound different from the letters represented, maybe it can be used to make some password

>> No.18797785
File: 551 KB, 2000x2588, 1627850844796.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18797168
>>18797617
Yes it's a joke. Almost every letter is weird.

>>18797071
Don't worry, I've read most of them already. (Not Laws though so I'll look at that.) I was specifically interested in the medieval pedagogy, just as a historic curio really. I don't favor a chronological understanding tbf.

>> No.18799052

>>18796946
As far as literary merits, Plato intended some of his later dialogues to be literary sequels to earlier ones, but this makes it hard to read Plato in a way that is faithful both to this aspect and to the conceptual development. So for example, Phaedo is middle Plato but a sequel to Euthyphro/Apology/Crito, while Timaeus/Critias are late Plato sequels to middle Plato Republic, itself beginning with an early Plato Book I. Then Sophist and Stateman are late Plato sequels to the middle Plato Theaetetus. So if you prefer reading these books as literary wholes, you'll probably want to (for example) read the whole Republic, then Timaeus, or read Phaedo right after Crito, stuff like that. But then you're definitely going to mix up the more chronological development of Plato's ideas. There's no way to go full chronological without some level of story mutilation. So take your pick.