[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 118 KB, 1146x720, 89qhwr9fh9ew.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18774914 No.18774914 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best to read for someone that isn't gonna work in the humanistic field as me, a code monkey and videogame developer?

What's your logic when trying what to read?
>problem --> reading to fix it
>problem --> reading to cope
>Englightment (wtf is Enlightment?)
>feeling good
>general self-improvement (social improvement, profesional growth, etc.)

>> No.18774932

>inb4 just fucking read and stop overthinking
this isn't gonna work with me. Are you that irrational?

>> No.18775014

>>18774914
Your post is confusing. Are you asking for book suggestions and how we decide on what to read?
I suggest to read philosophy of logic since you mentioned to be a code monkey. Coding is just one of several applied philosophies imo since it rests on logic.
As for how and why I decide on what to read, it depends but it's always with the intent to understand and learn about the world. I also want to write books for myself so reading others help towards that goal.
I study books per era in chronological order. I'm in the ancient era so I read about the ancient era and preferably a book that will help me understand the next book.

>> No.18775027

>>18774914
Walk into your local library with no goal other than to leave with a book, one book. Your heart will guide you if you allow it.

>> No.18775212
File: 24 KB, 734x717, uinzs9fs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18775014
>Are you asking for book suggestions and how we decide on what to read?
yes
>I suggest to read philosophy of logic since you mentioned to be a code monkey.
I also thought about it but I don't need to learn about logic to do my work, I know enough logic, I'm not an ingeneer or computer scientist, I don't have plans on becoming one if it isn't by freelance, that's a posibility but not for moment
>to understand and learn about the world
I also want to, but the world has many aspects and divisions. I read on generalist knowledges? what would it be? philosophy, maths, physics? or I'd better focus on the human aspect of the world, such as sociology, philosophy, history and linguistics?

But I have hesitate on reading to know the world better. I don't know why to do it. If it's gonna compensate me later

>>18775027
why not playing vidya instead?

>> No.18775729

>>18774914
I read for techniques. I want to read it all, that resonates of course. But mostly I just want to absorb techniques for living and loving and writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRUwSk9UTrA

>> No.18775799

The best way is to always be developing an overall worldview, and the best way to do that is by having certain central questions that are important to you and that you can pursue in any work. This is hardest when you're just getting started because you will be too young and naive to know yourself very well, but you can offset this by being ambitious and using your youthful energy and time to explore lots of possibilities.

Once you reach a certain level of self-cultivation and individuation then everything will have significance to you, even if it doesn't, because there will still be significant reasons for insignificant things being insignificant. You will naturally be working on projects larger than yourself and toward goals that you feel are objectively important. Everything else then gets "lit up" with real or potential significance in relation to how it serves those ends. If you don't have any goals like this and still feel like a purposeless animal, or your only goal is hedonism, you just haven't reached a significant level of self-development yet.

It's like that old parable of the fox and the hedgehog, "the fox knows many things but the hedgehog knows one big thing." Everyone is their own fox, flitting and running around the surface of their own soul, and their own hedgehog, trying to burrow down to the center of it. The hedgehog is overly superficial by himself, he can know a lot of surface features and topographies but risks lacking depth, he can have a lot of "experiences" and take in a lot of sights on the surface but risks becoming an aimless wanderer and eventually having nothing new to see. The hedgehog runs the opposite risk, of burrowing too deeply and never seeing anything but the long term goal ahead, which it may never reach if it doesn't know where to dig. You have to combine the two in order to truly know your own "world." The hedgehog can supply the fox with the "why" of its explorations and the fox can supply the hedgehog of the "where" to dig. But at first, you're just going to feel like a tiny hedgehog digging and a tiny fox running around in a world too big to understand. Only gradually will you start to have an instinctive feel for how many continents there are, then where the mountain ranges are, then the subtler nuances of terrain and its possibilities.

Lots of admirable autistic hobbyists spend all their time as the fox and then just burn out by age 30-35 because they don't have their hedgehog. That's because believing in higher meaning or truth is discouraged nowadays and people think the world is already mostly figured out, just a few mathematical variables left to fill in in physics. But we really know next to nothing, about ourselves or the universe. You have to stake your claim on one or both of these in some way and make your whole life into a quest and duty to really reach your highest potential.

>> No.18775811

>>18775799
>As today his surroundings do not so force him, the eternal mass-man, true to his character, ceases to appeal to any authority other than himself, and feels himself lord of his own existence. Conversely the select man, the excellent man is urged by interior necessity to appeal to some standard beyond himself, superior to himself, into whose service he freely enters. ... Contrary to what is usually thought, it is the man of excellence, not the common man who lives in essential servitude. Life has no savour for him unless he makes it consist in service to something transcendent. Hence he does not look upon the necessity of serving as an oppression. When, by chance, such necessity is lacking, he grows restless and invents some new standard, more difficult, more exigent, with which to coerce himself. This is life lived as a discipline — the noble life.

>Nobility is defined by the demands it makes on us — by obligations, not by rights. Noblesse oblige. "To live as one likes is plebeian; the noble man aspires to order and law" (Goethe). The privileges of nobility are not in their origin concessions or favours; on the contrary, they are conquests. And their maintenance supposes, in principle, that the privileged individual is capable of reconquering them, at any moment, if it were necessary, and if anyone were to dispute them. ... It is annoying to see the degeneration suffered in today's speech by a word so inspiring as "nobility." For, by coming to mean for many people hereditary "noble blood," it is changed into something similar to common rights, into a static, passive quality which is received and transmitted, something inert. But the strict sense, the etymon of the word nobility, is essentially dynamic. Noble means the "well known," that is, known by everyone, famous, he who has made himself known by excelling the anonymous mass.

>As one advances in life, one realises more and more that the majority of men — and of women — are incapable of any other effort than that strictly imposed on them as a reaction to external compulsion. And for that reason, those few individuals we come across who are capable of spontaneous and joyous effort stand out isolated, monumentalised, so to speak, in our experience. These are the select men, the nobles, the only ones who are active and not merely reactive, for whom life is a perpetual striving, an incessant course of training. Training = askesis. These are the ascetics.

>> No.18775839

>>18775799
>The hedgehog is overly superficial by himself,
Meant the fox my bad

>> No.18776359

>>18775811
Sauce on this?

>> No.18776744

>>18775212
>pic, best?
I don't think so. If you to read something that covers all these needs you'll end reading stuff that isn't really good satisfying sone of these things