[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 162 KB, 850x1105, ekekq6s32tw01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18762435 No.18762435 [Reply] [Original]

I look up every word I either don't know or are unsure of. I still spend a good amount of time looking up words every book.

I don't know the alphabet so I use google because I cannot use a dictionary efficiently. Thank god for google.

>> No.18762441

>>18762435
this but for japanese

>> No.18762446

No, I'm always forgetting shit, my vocabulary has deteriorated as I got older.

>> No.18762477

I never look a word up. I take its tone and meaning as more widely implied by the larger context it occurs within. Children are able to learn language this way, why not you?

>> No.18762493

What do you mean, you don't know the alphabet?
At some point if you speak/write English for long enough you don't actually have to know exactly what everything means to say it. I've gotten to the point where I no longer look up new words (because the few that I learn I can infer or know from Greek/Latin roots) and instead I look up words that I already know but don't fully understand, because I don't like using words without understanding them. Recently I looked up the words "phony" and "bogus", I know what they mean but I wanted to know the etymology. It turns out that both of them have unknown origin (actually, bogus originally meant a machine to print counterfeit money, but the origin of that name is ultimately unknown).

>> No.18762535

>>18762477
>I never look a word up.
> I take its tone and meaning as more widely implied by the larger context it occurs within.
To some extent this is fine however you will lose the nuance of specific words andi t is a lazy way to read.
How can you read any classic without looking up the words you do not know? you are not getting what the author intended.

>>18762493
>What do you mean, you don't know the alphabet?
I do not know the alphabet in order or able to tell you all the letters in the alphabet.
English is my only language but i suspect I may have some retardation affecting me which would not surprise me as I have many many co-morbid mental diagnoses.
> I've gotten to the point where I no longer look up new words (because the few that I learn I can infer or know from Greek/Latin roots)
I understand what you mean in whole and am able to do this with a lot of words with certainty.
I am not learnt in these languages though but am able to infer meanings mostly due to being familiar with words.
This is a much better method than the anonymous poster above your post who does not bother with no rhyme or reason to it.

>> No.18762541

i'm really hurting and have not a soul to give joy to alleviate my own pain.

>> No.18762622
File: 135 KB, 420x322, 1614247965320.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I very rarely have to look up words nowadays. You'll develop the vocabulary over time. Though, I was seen as a bit of a walking dictionary even back in high school.

>> No.18762780

>>18762446
Are you sure you’re not just reading harder books? Most people’s vocabulary gets better with age

>> No.18762924
File: 92 KB, 1080x883, huh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18762535
>can infer meaning from foreign roots
>doesn't know his alphabet
Nigga... what? This is really unique and I didn't think it was possible. You have kind of an unusual way of writing, it's not that your English is wrong just that there's something off about it, so I was going to ask if English is your second language but you're a monolingual English speaker.
What age did you learn to read and write? Did you go to school when you were very young?

>> No.18762982

>>18762622
I really really like this image

>> No.18763013

>>18762924
Would you be able to elaborate a little on why my writing is odd? if you could lend your time to elucidate me I would be very grateful.

>What age did you learn to read and write?
A bit later than the norm. I used to write all my letter backwards when I was a child for a while as well. I used to spend a lot of time researching whatever took my fancy as a kid though.
>Did you go to school when you were very young?
I never did any school work at all and I mean that in all sincerity aside from some of the standardized tests.
I spent my time with my head in my arms or doing my own thing in school.

Please oh please tell me what it is that appears odd.
Being able to figure out the meaning of words based on semblance to other words and not knowing the alphabet are different things so I do not see how they are connected but I do get the general
>this bozo is a dumbfuck but says they can do the following
type of thing

>> No.18763037

>>18762780
Hm maybe. My English definitely deteriorated,but you are right, I'm reading academic texts.