[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 75 KB, 729x600, still-life-with-skull-1898.jpg!Large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18729232 No.18729232 [Reply] [Original]

>When Dr. Donne, afterwards Dean of St. Paul's, took possession of the first living he ever had, he walked into the church-yard, where the sexton was digging a grave, and throwing up a skull, the doctor took it up to contemplate thereon, and found a small sprig or headless nail sticking out of the temple, which he drew out secretly, and wrapped it up in the corner of his handkerchief. He then demanded of the grave-digger, whether he knew whose skull that was? He said he did very well, declaring it was a man's who kept a brandy shop; an honest, drunken fellow, who one night having taken two quarts of that comfortable creature, was found dead in his bed next morning. "Had he a wife?" — "Yes." "What character does she bear?" — "A very good one: only the neighbours reflect on her, because she married the day after her husband was buried." This was enough for the doctor, who, under the pretence of visiting his parishioners, called on her: he asked her several questions, and, amongst others, what sickness her husband died of? She giving him the same account, he suddenly opened the handkerchief, and cried in an authoritative voice — "Woman, do you know this nail?" She was struck with horror at the unexpected demand, and instantly owned the fact.

>> No.18729247
File: 419 KB, 458x416, 21fdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Boswell on Johnson
>He enlarged very convincingly upon the excellence of rhyme over blank verse in English poetry. I mentioned to him that Dr. Adam Smith, in his lectures upon composition, when I studied under him in the College of Glasgow, had maintained the same opinion strenuously, and I repeated some of his arguments. JOHNSON: "Sir, I was once in company with Smith, and we did not take to each other; but had I known that he loved rhyme as much as you tell me he does, I should have HUGGED him.

Walter Scott on Smith and Johnson's meeting:
>At Glasgow Johnson had a meeting with Smith, which terminated strangely. John Millar used to report that Smith, obviously much disappointed, came into a party who were playing at cards. The Doctor's appearance suspended the amusement, for as all knew he was about to meet Johnson that evening, every one was curious to hear what had passed. Adam Smith, whose temper seemed much ruffled, answered only at first, "He is a brute! he is a brute!" Upon closer examination, it appeared that Dr. Johnson no sooner saw Smith than he brought forward a charge against him for something in his famous letter on the death of Hume. Smith said he had vindicated the truth of the statement. "And what did the Doctor say?" was the universal query: "Why, he said — he said" said Smith, with the deepest impression of resentment, "he said — 'You lie!'" "And what did you reply?" "I said, 'You are a son of a bitch!'" On such terms did these two great moralists meet and part, and such was the classic dialogue betwixt them.

>> No.18729278

>>18729232
PKD liked to hold pussies loosely. I've seen photos.