[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 640x360, 6fe6ced732286c9e52cc6cd1d0c1d86457fb4654145b9a4397864e7b30b74f20_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18669772 No.18669772 [Reply] [Original]

Does this article
https://medium.com/invisible-illness/one-key-aspect-of-depression-nearly-everyone-is-missing-out-on-8d2fdfba182e
literally describe you? If you've had this feel before, how did you shake it? Any reading recommendations?

>> No.18669785

These idiots don't realize that Caesar, ultimately, is nothing. They are trapped in a cage with an unlocked door.

>> No.18669803

>>18669785
In what way do you mean that? Because if it's specific to Caesar you could just swap him for Alexander, Napoleon, Charlemagne. And if you say all of these are "nothing", what can a man even achieve?

>> No.18669807

>>18669772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUqSNbJuGOw

>> No.18669817

>>18669803
>And if you say all of these are "nothing", what can a man even achieve?
You're getting somewhere...

>> No.18669822
File: 67 KB, 500x500, 1608817596575.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18669807
Perfect anon.

>> No.18669826

I can't read it and won't make an account just for that. Post it in full, bruh.

>> No.18669839

>>18669772
I don't read Medium, but your quote is kind of obvious, of course if you have high ambitions and your ambitions are crushed, you will despair over them. You had these ambitions because you would not resign to live without fulfilling them.

>> No.18669848

>>18669803
Yes, you are understanding me correctly, keep following that line of thought and you'll bump into the Truth.

>> No.18669849

>>18669826
Ok here you go (although the paywall disappears on its own if you just wait 5 seconds)
>Analyzing the causes of depression has been one of my biggest interests in recent months. Because I have experienced depression in the past and have somehow managed to get out of this dark hole, I want to educate myself so that I can prevent it.
>One of my most important findings is that depression is most often linked to a few sources of self-worth. When these sources eventually dry out, you lose your self-esteem and fall into this dark hole. There are many sources from which an individual can boost his self-worth. Some people might overly rely on a loved one, another might not be able to live without his parents. We often experience what happens when one of these people fail the individual: he is robbed of a part of his identity. He loses his self-worth. This is probably one of the most well-known causes of depression because it’s also the most depicted in popular media. Yet there are other sources of self-worth, that might not even link to an outside person.
>“Caesar or nothing” mentality.
>Some people grew with nobody to love. They might have tried to prove themselves to their parents, teacher or friends, but because of various forms of rejection, they never relied on a person for their self-worth. They had to seek it elsewhere. And out of necessity, these people forge these incredible dreams, that they one day will accomplish. One day they will become someone in life. Either a famous musician, a rich entrepreneur, a successful writer. They no longer feel like nobody, because one day they will have achieved all these dreams. These people get their self worth from a grandiose vision of the future. And I was one of them.
>I was a smart kid. I liked to read books and play sports. But my parents never really understood me. My parents were already in their forties when they got me. They grew up in a dictatorship and emigrated when the borders open. They had to build a new life in a new country. And here I was born. I grew up around technology, which they till now don’t know how to use. And when I spoke to them about what I had read, they didn’t listen. I wrote good grades, but they didn’t care. They were only reminiscent of their childhood and how much had changed since then.
>I don’t blame them. They grew up in worse times than I will hopefully ever experience. And everything had changed so drastically for them. They never abused me. However, I couldn’t prove myself to my parents, what every child tries to do. Children look up to their parents and want to be just like them. I created this exaggerated view of myself. I imagined myself becoming a rich writer, living a lavish life and proving to everybody that I had made it. I clung to this naïve vision for most of my life, because it gave meaning to my life. It didn’t matter if some people didn’t like me, because I will show them.

>> No.18669858

>>18669849
>This mindset might seem that of an ambitious individual, but it’s fueled by vengeance. Due to negligence in the past, I wanted to show the world what I was capable of doing. On a subconscious level, I tried also to prove my self worth to myself. It became this weird revenge vision, I wanted to cast a huge shadow on all the haters and naysayers.
>Because I couldn’t bear my momentary existence, I delayed it to the future. But what if those visions never become a reality?
>“…when the ambitious man whose slogan is “Either Caesar or nothing” does not get to be Caesar, he despairs over it. But this also means something else: precisely because he did not get to be Caesar, he now cannot bear to be himself.” (Soren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death)
>Kierkegaard speaks of „either Caesar or nothing.” If we never manage to become the “Caesar” we wish to become, our vision shatters as our only reason for existence. If we no longer can accomplish this grandiose vision, we no longer are as special as we think. I learned it the hard way.
>Having a “Caesar or nothing” mentality forces you to be arrogant. You get your self-worth because you want to stand over other people and look down on them. I was arrogant in my teens. I thought that I was smarter than my classmates and that I will achieve greater things than every teacher that I might have. I wanted to become this successful writer but never acted upon it. Sometimes reality would daunt me and I would fear that I would never become this famous writer. But I tried to ignore these thoughts. I wasn’t strong enough to face them.
>It all shattered when I had to choose a career path. I wanted to go to university. But I couldn’t pick a course that would help me become a better writer. Instead, I began to doubt my vision. Had I a justification to be a writer? I reflected. I had written sometimes, I had read some books. But was it enough to make a career out of it? I realized that I wasn’t that special after all. This created a huge role in my identity. I know longer knew who I was and what I wanted to do with my life. I had regarded myself all these years as this soon to be famous and millionaire writer. But now I had to look reality in the eye: this will never happen. So I had to look for some way of fulfillment.
>I eventually chose to pursue writing as a hobby primarily and trying to make a part-time career of it. I had escaped in my vision because it gave me the sense that I could become someone great if I wanted to. But you are what you accomplish, not what you dream. Like any kind of depression, people suffering from a “Caesar or nothing” mentality don’t have the self-discipline or drive to act on their vision. The vision is only a way to escape from their current situation, a mere hope, so they don’t have to act on it. Because we fail to act on it, the vision will never become a reality and our self-worth shatters.

>> No.18669866

>>18669858
>The secret way out is to accept being average. Accept that we aren’t as special as we think. Instead, we can gain self-worth from our talents, by making them habits and daily sources of self-worth. We don’t have to become the absolute best at something to be successful. Sometimes we only have to be on the path and act daily on what we want to achieve. Our grandiose visions may have insights on what our passions and talents may be. Downscale your unrealistic goals and make a habit of one thing you can do every day for the rest of your life to become better at your talent. It has to be manageable so that you can act on it daily.
>Living life day by day, in the present can be liberating without a larger than life vision.

>> No.18669874

>>18669849
>>18669858
>>18669866
Not him but before I read this all, what is the name of the author?

>> No.18669879

Yeah that's basically me, but I'm already well aware of the problem. I literally can't interact with any medium without daydreaming about being successful at it, and all my current ambitions are probably just fantasies of that nature that stayed long enough to become real goals.

>> No.18669880

>>18669772
> Letting go of ambition because of failure...

>> No.18669886

>>18669879
That just means you wish you could do something as well as that person does another thing. It doesn't just mean you imagine yourself dabbing as well as the Migos do it, the turht is you haven't done what it takes to be in that position and it might be a good thing. Why don't you instead try to make burgers at your McJob as good as the Migos can do their rap thing then maybe you'll feel like your life has more meaning.

>> No.18669901

>>18669879
Me too, Anon, me too.

>> No.18669910

>>18669874
something ___stein

>> No.18669915

>>18669817
>>18669848
Are you guys religious? I try to be Christian but my thinking patterns are still all materialisim based. I dont see how I can resign myself to insignificance in the eyes of men without giving up on life itself.
>>18669874
He doesn't even use his real name just some handle. You dont have to read it obviously but it really struck at my core and its a <5min read.
>>18669880
>>18669839
The angle I was trying to discuss is when ambition like that is used to cope with failure in the present and how it cripples you and prevents you from taking any action to actually get somewhere. Hence the title of the thread

>> No.18669923

You work harder. Wang Huning got from the position of rural college adjunct to China's philosopher king by busting ass and refusing ever offer of promotion until he the people around him were literally forced to promote him on account of his undeniable talent and output.

>>18669772
This would be more meaningful if Caeser himself didn't literally burst into tears seeing a statue of Alexander the great after he turned thirty.

>> No.18669928

>>18669772
Why are people on 4chan and in general are so obssesed with validating their depression, why do they need to validate their depression 1500 times and then post about it on the internet(4chan) 85000 times?
So you got depression, anynoymous people on the internet don't give af.

>> No.18669934

>>18669858
This is me to a fucking T, Jesus Christ. My arrogance, my self-grandiose, feeling like I deserved to be someone important in life. I recently graduated from Cambridge and during my time there and after I became severely depressed. I had envisioned a life of importance and being at the top of hierarchies in global industries, but all I realised was that I am not special at all. I was running on pure delusion for the years before I realised how insignificant I am. I still believe that my hobbies or my career path will take me to the highest places, its just massive cope, I don't have the self-discipline, I think it all just stems from narcissism.

>> No.18669941
File: 135 KB, 612x611, 1619890002269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>blablabla I tried but failed and now I will generalize this as a pathological problem
All of these woke psychologists fail to realize that human wellbeing should be neglected when we talk about high culture, people have to risk their own lives, they have to believe in borderline illusionary aims, they have to be arrogant and disagreeable in order to achieve something. Those psychologists are fueled by ressentiment at everything that could lead to something actually good so they focus on the failure cases. Bunch of philistines.

>> No.18669949

>>18669772
No, not really. But you can definitely get away from it by using CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). Works best using someone else, but you can probably do it yourself if your case isn't too severe.

>> No.18669950
File: 47 KB, 1280x720, B4802D36-FDC4-45DA-99A0-6688D21F4358.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The world owes me, simple as

>> No.18669959
File: 56 KB, 1280x752, goku-nimbus-dragon-ball-1148017-1280x0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is what you get when you conflate dream with delusion, and escapism/immersion with engagement/connection; the optifluous person engages with dreams of perfection, and gradually attains to it; the superfluous person immerses himself in delusion, thus disengaging from reality/himself, and straying from God.

>> No.18669968

>>18669941
Based Nietzschean. Fuck the mediocre chattering classes.

>> No.18669974

>>18669959
Yes, anon. Mental illness is God's fault. Exactly.

>> No.18669983

>>18669974
?

Learn to read.

>> No.18669984

>>18669928
It's annoying I know, but depression is a bit like insomnia: you can't think of anything but defeating the insomnia and trying to get some sleep, but being increasingly desperate to get sleep makes trying to sleep even more futile. Similarly the depressed person can't think of anything but defeating his depression but the self-reaffirming nature of depression makes it too depressing to fight.
Depressed people are like ghosts who are stuck in the few seconds after their murder, wailing incessantly and taking everyone in the room with them. How do you defeat the ghost? Nobody knows, you may think you have defeated them but they're always there again, sequel after sequel, as long as some dumb fuck decides to visit the haunted house. Just hide the posts, anon, hide my post...

>> No.18669989

When I realised that I will never become the important special person I thought I would be I didn't realise it at the time but I got super depressed, this clears it up.
For example, I literally lay in my bed for probably 16-18 hours a day, and I played the EuroMillions lottery every Tuesday and Friday hoping I would win the jackpot and it would save me from being average. So fucking retarded looking back. I've kind of accepted being nothing special, and to be honest, my life has actually got a lot better and productive since this acceptance.

>> No.18669994

>>18669772
>If you've had this feel before, how did you shake it?
Grew out of my early twenties and stopped blaming my parents.

>I was a smart kid. I liked to read books and lay sports. But my parents never understood me.

I mean this is just unfathomably fucking gay, faggotry beyond belief.

>> No.18670008

>>18669983
Religious people are unable to get it. They read a bunch of shit and yet remain fucking retards when it comes to anyone different for the rest of their life.

>> No.18670013

>>18669994
To expand on this, this song perfectly encapsulates the sentiments of the author in the OPs article, not merely thematically, but in the whiny faggotry as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIitQNXVgb8

>> No.18670026

>>18669984
>Just hide the posts, anon, hide my post...
hiding posts isn't enough, depression validation posting should be bannable offence

>> No.18670028

>>18669772
>This created a huge role in my identity. I know longer knew who I was and what I wanted to do with my life.
what did he mean by this

>> No.18670033

>>18670028
No idea, I haven't really read it. He is probably confused af.

>> No.18670038

>>18670028
But he is right that the feeling of worthlessness is one key symptom of it. You just deal with the root of that and you somewhat end up making it. Mine was related to writing. I somewhat had to write and couldn't, so I felt like shit.

>> No.18670065

First of all, I’m self aware enough to realize, and admit, that at least half or more of my misery is the direct result of my own personal inadequacy in the world and I do emphasize inadequacy, which is different from a failure to achieve grandiose ambition. Dysfunctional and normal are not the same. Second, when it comes to the external world, it’s not so much that I can’t be Caesar, but rather than we live in a world where no one can be Caesar and you’re supposed to pretend that’s a good thing. Forget Caesar actually. You can’t be or do anything that’s not objectively standard, or lowest common denominator basically and you have to pretend that’s a good thing. If you don’t, you’re just like an incel or toxic whatever.

>> No.18670078

>>18670065
Nice blog post

>> No.18670089

I don't have depression, but, daily I have dreams of conquering all of Latin America.

>> No.18670101

>>18670078
It’s a direct response to the question you illiterate moron.

>> No.18670112

>>18669915
it's called having a zest for life, enjoy your fantasies maybe one day one of your descendants will materialize it. Keep toiling, this anon gets it >>18669886

t.>>18669880

>> No.18670113

>>18670026
>depression validation posting should be bannable offence
You're right. I should be banned. God, my posts are really that fucking annoying aren't they? I'm so sorry, I'm such an idiot...

>> No.18670117

>>18670101
that no one is going to read it

>> No.18670133
File: 108 KB, 640x627, 5fae1d027a1fa093a0cd0d4f6f932418.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18669803
Caesar IS nothing. Napoelon, Alexander, Hitler, whoever, they're ALL nothing. Time is going to keep passing until thousand years from now, then ten thousand, then a hundred thousand, then a million years. In the year 100,000,021, Caesar's impact on history will count for about the exact same as yours.

>> No.18670139

>>18670133
But surely you realize how this outlook is a symptom of rot right?

>> No.18670164

>>18669989
>I played the EuroMillions lottery every Tuesday and Friday hoping I would win the jackpot and it would save me from being average
fugg I was literally beginning to toy with the idea of starting to play the lottery. I guess not then, thanks for sharing anon. (Has anyone less unique than me ever existed?)

>> No.18670177

>>18670133
based cosmic nihilist

>> No.18670186

Can’t sympathize. I’ve always felt like life was uninteresting. I suppose that means I wanted it to be grandiose but never felt like I was and certainly didn’t aspire to grandiosity for myself. In fact, I’ve never had any real ambition for my life. Probably never will.

>> No.18670213

>>18670139
this outlook is the truth, you're just deluding yourself with semantics if you think otherwise.

>> No.18670220

>>18669989
I am in exact same situation except I still play euromillions, I can afford to play a single game per draw, and I do enjoy playing

>> No.18670223

>>18670213
Whether it’s the truth or not is really pretty irrelevant. In fact, I’d suggest such an emphasis on truth, like Nietzsche’s remarks on an obsession with morality, are another symptom of the rot. So I’ll take it the answer to my question is “no”

>> No.18670228

>>18670177
It's not necessarily nihilism. It just means that you have to choose, as the focus of what "matters", something other than your impact on posterity.

>> No.18670231

>>18669989
>I've kind of accepted being nothing special, and to be honest, my life has actually got a lot better and productive since this acceptance.
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!
I choose death!

>> No.18670234

>>18670213
How do you know?
Have you ever seen a million years?
Can you reach out and touch a million of years?
What does a million years sound like? What does it taste like?
Can you point to this "million years" for me? Surely, if its so immense that everything shrinks to nothing in comparison to it, it must be easy to spot.
No, you cant.
Because you're a sad nihilist playing with mental abstractions in his head.

>> No.18670248
File: 96 KB, 612x612, syodeH23JaLw0vRtzcfR7xEQNBYK-n7xnyVm0REu-KY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18670133
>>18670213
Wow, very enlightening. I cant believe nobody has ever had this mindset before. You can really do some powerful stuff with this knowledge. How long have you been an athiest and whats your reddit handle if I may ask?

>> No.18670253

>>18670234
Oh and btw, I've seen plenty of statues of Caeser. What he felt crossing the Rubicon, the fleshy buttocks of the other senators wives and slave-boys, the cold steel knives that cut into his flesh, I can easily imagine all of this and even approximate what it felt like from my own experiences. I can read his writings first hand. My heart is moved by accounts of his life and his sufferings.
So clearly Caeser either existed, or at least presents a life worth emulating.
But a million years? Get out of here with this made up shit.

>> No.18670254

Evil has gathered in this thread

>> No.18670285
File: 1016 KB, 2048x1536, scar7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18670254
My life has been awesome with all of the ups and downs, I suppose if it has all been "downs" and no "ups" you'd probably get pretty bitter in life.

>> No.18670290

>>18669772
just read the article, sounds like someone coping cause he gave up on his dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enY3sXZUwBI

>> No.18670307

>>18669949
what about cock and ball torture ?

>> No.18670308
File: 499 KB, 1125x2436, View recent photos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18670290
Psst... never give up, faggots!

>> No.18670337

Really terrible thread. So many insights and advice from many different posters but all your comprehensions and understandings that you accumulated throughout your lives have no value at all and are totally meaningless. In fact the value of it all is not just nothing, it even has negative value, all your profound understanding actually made you dumber than before.

>> No.18670338

>>18670164
You can play it if you want, but don't be a retard like I was doing and waiting for Tuesday and Friday to come hoping it is the golden ticket for me to escape with. Don't expect to win, because you won't.

>>18670220
Yeah I recently started playing it again desu, its only £5 a week, I just changed my perspective with playing it. Seeing it as a bit of fun instead of my way out.

>>18670231
Honestly its the best way. It's somewhat liberating, and paradoxically, it can make your chances of making it special more likely, its the delusion which holds you back.

>> No.18670370

>>18670337
Thanks for contributing!

>> No.18670375

>>18670307
Whatever makes you functional and happy, anon.

>> No.18670379
File: 918 KB, 2336x3504, butt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone believe the author of the article has:
>a collection of pics of a fraction of the hot babes he's banged on his computer
>a collection of a fraction of the sick cars he's owned and driven the wheels off of on his computer
>a collection of awesome adventures he's had, risks he's taken, triumphs enjoyed, projects failed
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
>inb4 delusional schizo

>> No.18670399

>>18670379
Well thats another thread ruined.
Cant you go live your mid-life-crisis somewhere else? Literally nobody cares.

>> No.18670424

>>18670399
I'm about to go have a beer at my local happy hour, sold a book yesterday while sitting there for $20.

The risk averse like you seethe so fucking hard. Did you write the article? Hahaha!

>> No.18670431

>>18670379
>hot babes he's banged on his computer
>sick cars he's owned and driven the wheels off of on his computer
poor computer, it must we a wreck

>> No.18670434
File: 280 KB, 1536x1024, mono no aware.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: anons thinking they can fight time.

>> No.18670456

>>18670424
The laughter really sells it. I didnt realize before that performance art was a thing in anonymous writing but well done

>> No.18670483

>>18670434

Whats that pic supposed to mean?

>> No.18670491
File: 79 KB, 496x515, dd115257fed3a528940f8f9f0cf6ecc54358c3b47d4bb4fa0d6828dd71cd8084.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18669941
Thank you for the kind words anon, I'm going to go chase my dreams, and I hope you conquer yours too.

>> No.18670500
File: 457 KB, 2048x1365, 256709_10152376259715514_1615648039_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18670456
I bet so many blackpilled /lit/ people would find themselves happier if they didn't take their own lives as serious. All the world's a stage... why wouldn't you treat your life as performance art?

>> No.18670511

>>18670500
If you can’t take your own life seriously, what can you take seriously?

>> No.18670547

>>18670133
Do you think Shakespeare has less impact on literature and language today than when his plays were first being staged?

>> No.18670576

>>18670500
>All the world's a stage... why wouldn't you treat your life as performance art?
I'm allergic to clown makeup

>> No.18670597
File: 830 KB, 1242x1226, 1626545635618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18670511
To me, the term "do not take life so seriously" is to not allow certain thoughts and feeling hamper you from progressing in life. Good things happen, so do the bad, and life is a learning process.

You try your best with the resources, knowledge, and instincts you have. When you fail, it is like water off a duck's back. Over time, this way of living frees you from so much stress, worry, angst, fear. One good example is how in Canada, there are so many people absolutely terrified of COVID still when we have 60 people in the hospital out of 5 million people. Yet there are folks who will still scream at others and make a big scene if you try and get in an elevator, maskless, with one of these people. Not even to mention the people you can spot who wear gloves, spray sanitizer on themselves in public, and who are decked out in double-mask and face shields while walking outdoors.

Taking my own advice, I don't get mad at those people, I just laugh!

>> No.18670598

>>18669772
>people have goals and would prefer if they achieved them
thanks soren, very cool

>> No.18670615

>>18670248
How exactly is he wrong, it doesn't matter if you believe in God or not since either way you believe that the ultimate state of reality is many times greater and more important than any individual human ever will be. If God doesn't think Caesar is better than anyone else then why should you?

>> No.18670643

>>18670133
uh oh the CHUDs aren't gonna like this one

>> No.18670677

>>18670615
He probably thinks its advocating nihilism when it is an attack on one specific kind of purpose, the idea of "having a legacy". Point is, you shouldn't do things to have an "impact" because time never stops and your "impact" will be forgotten in the blink of an eye; thus you should do things because they are right in themselves; you should speak things because they are true in themselves; you should live with virtue because virtue is an end in itself. Those things are all impervious to time because they have value in themselves.

>> No.18670717

>>18669928
>>18669984
Speak for yourselves, I have anhedonia and I maybe exchange ten words a month with people.

>> No.18670760

I had/have the same problem and I was making some progress on the whole "accepting averageness" thing but them I had some ideas about metaphysics and math that could lead me to discover important things about the way humans acquire knowledge, which ruined everything. I'll still do my best to stop the delusions of grandeur, envision a simple and happy life despite achieving or not achieving whatever is in my head, trying to understand other people's perspectives. The worst thing for me is the lack of discipline that stems mainly from internet/information addiction, so fucking hard to make it stop...

>> No.18670762

>>18670677
exactly.

>> No.18670765

>>18670717
Me too, but I whine a lot on 4chan. It's the only place where I can be myself!

>> No.18670919

One of the antidotes to these illusions is to simply take initiative to experience more of life. For examples, you might go out and simply ask someone on the street, in the school, the bus, the hospital etc to talk about their life with you. Spend some of your free time doing specifically things you suck at, even better if you're doing it in a group, which forces you to confront the idea that that specific thing is difficult for you but comes easy to the guy to your right. Illusions of grandeur are facilitated when you spend your days stuck in the corner of your room browsing social media, so just experience more of life itself and it will fade away with time. Don't have kids until you've solved it or else you'll project these illusions to your children's lives, maybe even force them to become what you couldn't despite it not being what they want for themselves.

>> No.18670936

>>18670765
Meh, better than doing it on twitter or wherever, at least here nothing is tied to any kind of name or persona and as soon as a thread is over everyone forgets all about you.

>> No.18670978

>>18670936
>as soon as a thread is over everyone forgets all about you.
yes! just like in real life haha

>> No.18670979

Big surprise when there's an effort funnel the entirety of middle class kids through a college education or higher, which will inevitably put it in their heads that this will lead to some sort of higher career while the biggest economic sector in the west is SERVICE, making up 50-80% All the while the classic markers of becoming an adult and progressing in life are deteriorating, entering the workforce early, marrying in your twenties, having kids is now a sort of niche thing and even frowned upon.

Real social ties deteriorating, (anti-) 'social' media realising warhol's vision of everyone getting their fifteen minutes of fame, which while hollow is at a least realisable, tangible goal for the average person - as opposed to real accomplishments (work or otherwise), and as opposed to, also, the classic path of steady work, marriage, family, because once you're in your mid twenties and the realities of life are slowly dawning on your you're a decade behind and who the fuck wants to throw their dreams out the window and settle, for some basic bitch past her prime / some deadbeat bloke who can quote his favourite youtubers catchphrases by heart and plays video games 20 hours per week or more.

It's a society of kidults. Heavily marketed to and pampered from an early age kids are sold a dream that never was realisable. In primitive societies kids are allowed to be kids to an extent, but they are also involved in everyday tasks in a meaningful way. The realities of life dawn on them earlier, by and by, without some trauma wrecking their shit in their mid twenties. In our enlightened industrial society that way of growing up is basically nonexistent, and relatively impossible, given the rapid change of technology, culture, the economic makeup of society, lack of continuity, lack of opportunity, economic stagnation, the end of progress, the advent of a parasocial escapist culture.

Here and there and individual with outstanding mental fortitude or blessed with an exceptionally good upbringing and resources may escape this, most people won't.

it's all fucked

>> No.18671048

>>18670615
>>18670677
Not necessarily wrong, just a completely useless statement that compels more of sick, grotesque mindset in the majority of people; exactly the type of stuff you would hear athiestic people spew on Reddit. Caesar, Napoleon, Alexander etc. if anything are landmarks of inspiration for greatness and human "divinity", like it or not; great people throughout history have pushed humanity further and further to strive for perfection within the individual. Living a virtuous life, while good in itself is also the mechanism of providing for the next generation of your (or others) descendants. Regardless if humanity still even exists (or God ever existed) in some arbitrary number of years, human nature will continuously efficate this way of life in parallel with what we call "legacy".

>> No.18671120

This thread was moved to >>>/r9k/64610920