[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 166 KB, 960x822, 1620673707424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18632997 No.18632997 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/'s guide on academic papers; how do you write one?

-
-

Premise: Everything I've read and been told seem so awfully particular yet relative depending on what you want to say, especially because everything you read as a lit degree is not written in that form but demands such formal treatment; sometimes it's a glorified summary, still written by yourself, other times just a collection of citations bound together by your 'own' writing.
I'm talking something good and not passing, something that could form wise be accepted at any journal.

For reference: I've always been told that my writing was, quote, whacky becaues of its complexity but interesting and enjoyable to read, yet not at all fit to academic standards.
I am content with that, mainly that it seems like it's at least decent literature, but that doesn't help me at all with my intention to write something which is of a different form, namely, an academic paper which can be easily read and conveys information in a general but not reductionist fashion.

-

To critique: I feel it is irrelevant here to state that the academic world is nowadays in any way bad and itself irrelevant, because it is not within the capabilities of anyone here to change this. This is further also a known fact to the same academics: but the way in which it is flawed differs, and is here of no value to the actual question. The attitude of "Do what you like and be fine with that, fuck the system; it's all bad anyways." has it's place, but that place is not here.
That is to say, post your honest way of how (you) do write a paper, and not regurgitate the same old same old of do your research and fail until you make it. Ending such a wikipedia level reply with some opinionated expression about how you as a PhD student see the system as irrelevant anyways, and how "future academics should just go and do something youtube, or write some decent literature again, because ultimately no one cares about philosophy."

-
-
-

Note: This is not suppoed to be a blogpost and the further additions after the actual question, which I do think concerns this board's topic, can be ignored at risk of falling into the laid out trap when answering.
I don't mean to sound like a fag but faux superiority is the only cure against contrarianism.

>> No.18633030

>>18632997
No one here can show you how to write a paper. But the following advice may be helpful.
1. Gather together five to ten papers which you personally esteem for their content and style.
2. Pick one or a few and conduct close analysis of the structure and method of argumentation.
3. Write draft papers modelled on the papers you analyzed. Keep editing them until they're neat and polished.