[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.21 MB, 4032x3024, D44301BC-51CC-4D80-9CDC-C69E59188992.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18625156 No.18625156 [Reply] [Original]

It’s simple, don’t want to be tracked by big government glow niggers? Learn Latin.
This’ll do 3 things.
>1. They’ll have to get a translator everytime they wish to spy on you. Think it’s easy to find a professor fluent in Latin everytime they wish to indict you? Nope.
>2. Make you fluent in another language which will improve your mind and allow you to read the texts of Roman officials pre-translation
>3. Allow you to organize
POST YOUR LATIN BOOKS HERE

>> No.18625205

>>18625156
>They’ll have to get a translator everytime they wish to spy on you. Think it’s easy to find a professor fluent in Latin everytime they wish to indict you? Nope.
Are you retarded? "They" could literally just use a digital translator. Most retarded thing I've read this week, holy fuck

>> No.18625290
File: 88 KB, 1200x600, 3E2976E3-F062-470B-AF98-2482ED5A8408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18625205
Ah yes because google translate is the most accurate thing ever.
What a fucking donkey.

>> No.18625295

>>18625205
Hoc tempore nulli sunt quidem interpretes digitales qui possint sententias longas contortasque, praesertim quae verbis novis utantur, de Latine sine errore reddere.

>> No.18625315

>>18625290
It doesn't matter nigger, anyone will still know what you're saying.
>>18625295
>At present there is none that can interpret digital contortasque long sentences, especially in terms of new rights to the English without an error return
That's obviously not 100% correct, but I still know what you're saying. Thanks for proving my point.

>> No.18625320

>>18625205
Ur either a 12 year old or painfully dumb

>> No.18625336
File: 3.82 MB, 4032x3024, 20200920_204838.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a Latinist AMA

>> No.18625371
File: 313 KB, 112x112, 6ACDFDE4-A5AB-4B2C-ABD1-E1C03F384EB7.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18625336
Could you please post a picture of the first 3-5 books you used to learn to read Latin?

>> No.18625381

>>18625315
Okay then, here's a better example. This is a simple sentence from Tacitus:
>Forte congruerat ut Clodii Macri et Fontei Capitonis caedes nuntiarentur.
Using an online, digital translator, tell me what this means.

>> No.18625387

>>18625295
I could understand the main point of that without even using Google translate or knowing latin.

>> No.18625407

>>18625381
>It happened that tidings of Fonteius Capito and Clodius Macer reached the capital.
With more context it would probably become more clear

>> No.18625415

>>18625381
>It happened that tidings of Fonteius Capito and Clodius Macer reached the capital.
Straight from Google translate. Fuck off, nigger.

>> No.18625431

Does a latin general exist somewhere? Because it should

>> No.18625448

>>18625407
>>18625415
Baited hard. That translation is completely wrong. Here's what the sentence actually says:
>By chance, it happened that the murders of Clodius Macer and Fonteus Capito were announced at the same time.
Even ignoring certain details missed by Google or superfluous details added, the main thrust -- that is, the fact that Clodius and Fonteus were murdered -- is completely ignored.

>> No.18625468
File: 3.46 MB, 4032x2268, 16259347271197167402055047389093.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18625371
In addition to these I would recommend, once you've mastered the rudiments of grammar, getting a comprehensive grammar like A&G or Gildersleeve's (I use the latter).

>> No.18625483
File: 3.42 MB, 4032x3024, 29D89D79-58D2-430E-91AB-9D5EFE4948E3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18625407
>>18625415
Point disproven and fucking rekt.
>>18625448
I’m in chapter 16 right now. Did you feel comfortable speaking after the end or the book, or did you require more material?

>> No.18625491

>>18625448
It literally doesn't matter, if someone wanted to listen in on your conversation, the meaning of a singular sentence would become evident through the context.

>> No.18625497

>>18625290
when i was at school i used google translate to cheat in a latin test and failed it made me write about fish when there were no fish in the question. Ive since learnt 9 languages and wouldldnt trust translate for any of them. no serious agency would use a digital translator I have worked in government organisations with translators who are shit, polish ones who will give one word answers after someone has spoken for minutes but they're better than digital

>> No.18625528

>What is? it is not right to strike with the sword, for the Christian, if at all, would be at his own expense to the soldiers, but why should we be content with, imposed upon the herald of the Savior (Lk. 3, 14); and not rather to keep all the host of them, he framed it? If, however, (which is true) it is right to all things, for this very purpose, only the divinely planned, he had no other reason really suggests itself, professed to be better; to whom, I pray you, more importantly, the city of our strength: Zion, on behalf of our strength than those whose eyes of all, and the protection of the hands to hold on? to occupy the collapsed God's law, she went into the race just keeps faith. Consequently, secure clouds that are beautiful people want to unsettle us disturbing drive from the city of all evildoers, which is stored in Jerusalem, Christians of priceless raise a happy, holy and profane, and the heirs of sanctuary. May be exerted on each of the believers, in the neck of the sword of the enemies, for every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, as to destroy the, which is the Christian faith is not; lest the Gentiles should say: Where is their God? (Ps. 113, 2.)
Deep.

>> No.18625576

>>18625491
Fine, here's the rest of the section.
>Forte congruerat ut Clodii Macri et Fontei Capitonis caedes nuntiarentur. Macrum in Africa haud dubie turbantem Trebonius Garutianus procurator iussu Galbae, Capitonem in Germania, cum similia coeptaret, Cornelius Aquinus et Fabius Valens legati legionum interfecerant antequam iuberentur. fuere qui crederent Capitonem ut avaritia et libidine foedum ac maculosum ita cogitatione rerum novarum abstinuisse, sed a legatis bellum suadentibus, postquam impellere nequiverint, crimen ac dolum ultro compositum, et Galbam mobilitate ingenii, an ne altius scrutaretur, quoquo modo acta, quia mutari non poterant, comprobasse. ceterum utraque caedes sinistre accepta, et inviso semel principi seu bene seu male facta parem invidiam adferebant. venalia cuncta, praepotentes liberti, servorum manus subitis avidae et tamquamm apud senem festinantes, eademque novae aulae mala, aeque gravia, non aeque excusata. ipsa aetas Galbae inrisui ac fastidio erat adsuetis iuventae Neronis et imperatores forma ac decore corporis, ut est mos vulgi, comparantibus.
Now, with all this context (most of which is unnecessary), tell me: what roles did Cornelius Aquinus and Fabius Valens play in this scene? What is the relationship between these two men?
Even with ample additional context, machine translation flounders and fails with Latin.

>> No.18625681

Would you say two years are enough time in order to get good enough to semi-comfortably read ovid?

>> No.18625702

>>18625576
tbqh Tacitus is something else with his prose, fucking hell

>> No.18625943

This is retarded. There are tons of Latin readers out there. There are many CIA spooks who are competent readers. You know how many linguists they hire? It isn't hard to find a classics professor either, and I bet more than one would be giddy at the opportunity to go to court for something Latin related. Furthermore, a bunch of lawyers learn Latin in undergrad because they're told it's helpful.

>> No.18625951

>>18625336
Can you read fluently or are you more focused on linguistics/translation? By fluently I mean complete immersion in the text with as little dictionary use as possible.
If that's the case who long did it take for you to get there? If you could give an estimate of hours of study per day/week it would be great.

>> No.18625983
File: 234 KB, 320x240, NaziTime.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18625943
Any added stress is good stress.
Imagine having to hire 20,000 translators and how stressful that'd be.
Even a few full-time shitposters would completely fuck the government.

>> No.18626002

This reminds me of an article by some Irish intelligence officer in Israel who was being spied on by the Mossad, so he and his Irish friend spoke mispronounced, broken Irish Gaelic (turning an already obscure language essentially into a cant of that language) between one another and were able to essentially empirically verify that the Mossad was unable to understand what they said to one another.

I think this project would fail with Latin, though, because only a small amount of the meaning of a text needs to come through for a government to be tipped off. The fact that machine translation will fail with even the slightest of nuances would not protect you from even the worst mechanical translation looking for trigger words relating to violence, weapons, etc. This project would require an argot within the language (disguising every potential trigger word with one that is anodyne out of context), which could likely to an nearly equal extent be achieved with some creative English.

>> No.18626024

>>18625336
I am a classics student. I also do biblical studies, and it took me a while to figure out that I needed and was capable of learning languages. Anyways, I only took a semester of Latin before switching to Greek. The following question comes from someone who knows little but is genuinely interested.

What is there to do with Latin in medieval studies? Obviously, many works were written in Latin, but why would anyone want to read them, unless you're some guy who likes medieval warfare or some shit? Sell me on Medieval Latin. Classics is worth studying because it's classics, the great works of Greece and Rome. But Medieval books? That's dark age shit, nigguh. I guess what I'm saying is that it appears to me that many people who study Medieval literature do so as a means to an end or because of a niche interest, whereas classical literature is something that people love to dwell on and study intensely. Is that view wrong? Why do you and your colleagues study Medieval Latin?

>> No.18626027

>>18625497
You're half right. Major translation companies use machine translation and have it reviewed by a linguist after the fact. But it's incorrect that machine translation doesn't play a major part in modern day translation.

>> No.18626054

>>18625681
If you study every day, use Anki for vocabulary, and can get a good grasp of the "shape" of Latin, 2 years is plenty.

By the "shape", I basically mean: after I got good at Latin, I sort of naturally started reading the sentences in a certain way where the grammatical function of phrasing units revealed itself just from the tone that my mind read it in, which I think is a somewhat common experience, but it's hard to explain. People I've talked to whose brains don't just sort of naturally adapt to the case/verb systems with something like this typically can't ever read Latin fluidly, but if you do, then you'll be reading Ceasar in about 6 months. Most likely it will a year or so, but if you keep at it, reread what you've already written, try to produce some extended thoughts in Latin, study vocabulary, etc, you will get there in less than 2 years.

>> No.18626060

>>18625943
>bunch of lawyers learn Latin
True desu, I have a couple of friends that study laws with whom I talk about Latin.

>> No.18626086

>>18625156
>>1. They’ll have to get a translator everytime they wish to spy on you. Think it’s easy to find a professor fluent in Latin everytime they wish to indict you? Nope.
AI will be able to translate latin in a matter of time. The only reason it doesn't work right now is because they didn't care to work on it

>> No.18626142

>>18626086
Lmao it's not even because we don't have the technology to do it. It's literally just a matter of providing the right training data for the machine learning algorithms and paying someone to correct it to make the algorithms better.

>> No.18626258

>>18625951
I can read certain texta fluently. Building up a general vocabulary takes time and you need to read a wide range of texts. But what you focus on will give you fluency. I focus on medieval education and legendary history so I can read school commentaries and Geoffrey of Monmouth (just as a single example) fluently. But if I pick up a legal text or some medical treatise I use the dictionary. To build vocab read widely. To become fluent don't rush. If you can't figure out a sentence don't just move past it. Put in the work. Also I recommend reading entire entries on Lewis and Short or on Logeion for words you don't know. I'm a grad student so I spend about 3-4 hours a day on Latin. If you want to get good enough to read Virgil or Ovid you can probably do it in 1.5 years with at least 2 hours of serious study per day. I started learning Latin 2.5 years ago.

>>18626024
I study reception of the classics in the Middle Ages so I may not be the best person to sell you on this. But a lot of texts worth reading in their own right were written in the middle ages and have not been translated or are hard to access in translation. For instance reading Sedulius is like reading a Christianized version of Virgil. Or the Carmina Burana which are a lot of fun. Medieval studies is great for people who want to learn about the culture and history of the Middle ages. And if you can't read Latin you will never successfully understand the period. Wanting to learn about King Arthur, for example, without reading Geoffrey or Nennius basically ensures you won't ever know why people like Mallory, C. de Troyes or Marie de France took up the topic. Also medieval Latin lyric poetry is gorgeous and often much more attractive to the modern ear because it is closer to the French forms we use today (this is not to say the classics were not widely immitated). Problem is, if you don't know latin you will not be able to really appreciate the beauty and cultural history of these texts. You'll just have to trust some footnote in a translation without actually understanding how an author adapted or satarized Lucan or Ovid in a text. The Latin classics are great, but we only have them because the medievals preserved them and the medievals used their education in the classics all the time. So hopefully this sells you a bit on the importance of learning Latin for the purpose of medieval studies (also at least learn French, German, and some of the vernaculars for a full experience).

>> No.18626312

>>18626086
t. monolingual
Protip: other languages are not word-for-word translations of English.

>> No.18626459

If you really want to not be tracked by glowniggers, learn a regional language, even google translate can't translate those. I can speak Walloon, who at the CIA could translate that?

>> No.18627566
File: 308 KB, 1024x1528, HomeLibrary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A great thread.
Too bad there's so few Latin speakers on /lit/
Too many faggots reading translations.
Larping pieces of shit.

>> No.18627604

>>18626002
TIME TO LEARN GAELIC LADS

>> No.18627627

>>18625156
No one will bother spying on your poorly expressed, regurgitated ideas, wanker

>> No.18627685
File: 52 KB, 1024x664, 99B94F2C-1B27-47EB-BA21-D087F62A59A6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18627627
Nice try at obscurity, homeland security.
You’ll never discourage me.
I’ll fucking speak in Bahasa to annoy you faggots.
LIGMA

>> No.18627721

>>18625156
>They’ll have to get a translator everytime they wish to spy on you. Think it’s easy to find a professor fluent in Latin everytime they wish to indict you? Nope
1. Latin is of Romance language family. Meaning, it's like French or Italian, but with noun cases.
2. ~70% of vocabulary is already in English.
It's not that hard to understand.

>They’ll have to get a translator everytime
>Make you fluent in another language
I have a better idea: learn Irish Gaelic, but write it phonetically with Cyrillic alphabet. You're welcome.

>> No.18627955

>>18627721
Demonstrate.