[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 103 KB, 608x1000, atlas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.18622174 [Reply] [Original]

Unironically, it Atlas Shrugged reading for the first time out of high school/college?

Not sure if it is a 1,000 page meme or worth doing once

>> No.18622175

Check it out yourself, I don't like the way she writes, but the book idea isn't bad.

>> No.18622479

>>18622175
Dubs. I'm half through it rn. People crap on her for sport but you can't read her work without asking yourself how you truly feel about her ideas. This book fosters introspection where most foster indoctrination

>> No.18622496

>>18622479
Dunno, people don't like her for lots of different reasons. She somewhat 'emulates' Nietzsche, as in she wrote a lot of shit that is hard to ignore. So it is easy to get a bad rep, but she definitely got a lot of attention.

And her ideas are radical, it is hard to take these kind of things too seriously. I'm not saying that the world might not take a turn into something like that, but it would be a radical change of what we currently have. And such things tend to look more and more absurd as the current situation improve.

>> No.18622508

>>18622479
I wouldn't even consider her ideas on that book. Being real honest with you, she wrote some cool stuff about life in general. Things like how you shouldn't neglect your family and focus solely on work, specially because you don't get to pick your brother/mother. How 'success' can be lonely and a bunch of other cool stuff.

>> No.18622605

>>18622174
You have to understand that Rand is a woman. While she can't reason too well and seems very narcisstic, she does have great intuition. She has good general ideas but you have to learn to filter the bullshit.

>> No.18622612

>>18622605
The main problem is that she is an ESL, anon. She would probably write it better if she did it in Russian.

>> No.18622675

It would help if you remember that she was a Russian Jew, attending the University of Moscow at the time of the Russian Revolution, and that she was present when her fellow students marched in protest of the Communist government's increasingly undemocratic behavior - and saw her fellow students massacred by the Red Army.
Personally I can't actually read this book, but I just skim it for the high parts, skipping the rest. It's almost like an alternate-reality world, where airplanes never really caught on and the choo-choo remained the main means of transportation.

>> No.18622727

The Fountainhead is better. If I were an impressionable 18-years-old again I would have read the works of Heinlein instead.

>> No.18622966

>>18622727
i listened to the audio book in like 3 days, there's only one version of starship troopers on audible and the narrator sucks

>> No.18622972

>>18622174
Sure, it probably is worth it to read this self-masturbatory 1984 fapfic, if you've got the time. As a previous anon said, keep in mind she is a woman.

>> No.18622983

>>18622972
Mises thought she was a man