[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 195x258, download.jfif.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18581633 No.18581633 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a more reddit philosophical school than the Vienna circle?

The most pretentious "we know the best/we solved everything by just calling it pointless!" school of tough. And I cant stand the constant circle jerk when you open one of their books "Ohhh we can thank Russel for this shit, and Wittgenstein for this, and also Carnap for his COOMtribution to the """""""""""""scientific"""""""""""" """""""""""""""view""""""""""""""" of """""""""""""""reality"""""""""""""""""

And once you get into the texts, its like they actively try not to understand metaphysics, or portray it in the worst possible way. I physically cringed while reading carnaps interpretation of Zeno, like is he really ignorant of the ancient greek worldview on mechanics and time being static that he blames the "metaphysics" bugman for it?

Its like they are being idiots on purpose. Not to mention the complete shittakes like "there is no difference between solipsism and realism!!!!" yea its not like intersubjectivity is a thing while they then continue to spout the most reddit r/atheism tier shit "how is it possible that so many great minds (note we are greater then them xDDD) fell for the metaphysics meme?? It must be because mythology also metaphysics is bad art"

Carnap writes like he was bullied as a kid and ate his lunch alone, if he was alive today ill piss into his mouth

>> No.18581650

>>18581633
>Carnap writes like he was bullied as a kid and ate his lunch alone
Thanks for reminding me of my high school experience

>> No.18581657

>>18581633
Why are you fighting with ghosts, anon? Nobody whose opinion is worth taking seriously takes unironic hardline logical positivism seriously.

>> No.18581664
File: 183 KB, 960x960, IMG-20210703-WA0004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18581633
>Carnap writes like he was bullied as a kid and ate his lunch alone, if he was alive today ill piss into his mouth

:(

>> No.18581668

>>18581657
Some guy here recommended it to me and said that its worth reading over continental stuff

>> No.18581682

>>18581633
OP you're on the right track but I think you need to adjust your targets slightly. Russell is absolutely to blame, but the Vienna Circle did not understand Wittgenstein and he himself wanted nothing to do with them. Carnap, despite lacking the creativity to properly engage with Heidegger, actually had some pretty cool stuff going on under the admittedly frigid presentation.

>> No.18581722

>>18581633
Wittgenstein believed that there might be metaphysical truths but those can't be interpreted into language.

>> No.18581755

>>18581682
Havent read Russel yet but hes next in line

From his biography he seems like a decent guy, mostlikely gay tho, who backed down from arguments to support younger academics even while his arguments were stronger

>> No.18581831

>>18581755
Russell was an arrogant, vindictive, callous man whose politics were firmly ahead of his time, by which I mean he wasn't born in time to vote for Hillary Clinton. He was a neoliberal before there was such a thing.

>> No.18581851

>>18581831
>arrogant, vindictive, callous
Average britbong

>> No.18581897

>>18581668
>its worth reading over continental stuff
Not over continental stuff, but in tandem with it. If you are attentive you'll see the harmony. Otherwise it's not for you I guess. The style might get in the way of the content's repercussions, which is where Carnap (and many of the smartest analytics) shine.

>> No.18581909

Wittgenstein didn't really associate himself with it.