[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 100 KB, 800x500, kraszna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18531083 No.18531083 [Reply] [Original]

He gave a fine interview back in may. It's in English.

https://hlo.hu/interview/laszlo-krasznahorkai.html

Here are some bits:

>That reminds me of a protagonist from one of your earlier books, who is horrified when he sets out to China in search of traces of ancient Chinese culture, only to find plastic knickknacks and flea markets. It seems nothing makes you sadder in life than when cultural and human values are sold off.

>I could also say, it’s one of my favourite platitudes, I am the unanointed chronicler of a period in which high culture has permanently disappeared. There are still such old folk – myself included – teetering in the queue, paying no heed to their age, ridiculously shaking their medically prescribed walking sticks in the air, furiously wailing that there was such a thing as high culture once, but the bystanders don’t bat an eyelid, they don’t even understand what this man is croaking on about, why he’s holding up the queue in the pharmacy, or at the till in Tesco. The point isn’t that high culture is losing, or is in danger, but that we’ve arrived in a new era, when an area of culture that can’t be infected by the market, or is unable to adapt to its laws, and thus rendered useless, is simply wiped off the map, and all that remains in its place is what we once called mass culture, and we now call culture. That’s what can be found now in the last pages/minutes of the media, where it states which will be the bestseller, or which will catch the attention of those wanting to be entertained. To cut to the chase: today there’s nothing to compare to, to have to say mass culture. Nothing else exists. Homer is a comic, Shakespeare is a so-called difficult question in an idiotic television quiz, and Bach in a board game.

>It’s a strong statement that there’s no high culture, when Bach and Krasznahorkai books both sell well.

>There is the odd isolated individual who creates work in the spirit of this high culture, but even they secretly hope to go up for some prize’s shortlist. But it means nothing, a new era really has begun. It’s pointless to be shocked that young people and not so young people don’t know who Zeus was, after all they don’t really know how to read or write, though there might be a sliver of hope here yet, some pop group could take Zeus as a band name.

>It’s a shame to whine about such things, because you just become ridiculous. I carry on, in my own powerlessness, like the wheels on an overturned car after an accident, still spinning. For a while.

1/2

>> No.18531085

>>18531083
>But this experience of decay seems to have followed the whole of human civilization. Even Béla Hamvas, in his essay about the global crisis, while still weeping for the golden age, warns against caution. He reminds us that from Lao-ce, to Plato, to Kierkegaard and Ortega y Gasset, in every age, we felt as though we were living through the last moments of the cultural apocalypse.

>I remember Hamvas’s picture of the golden age differently, but without a doubt, you can look at it that way too. Really it’s quite comical to speak of the end of the world, of catastrophe, and of complete collapse, when this appears to repeat itself over and over. At the beginning of almost every new era, the followers of the decaying era saw themselves as champions of the culture condemned to oblivion – almost, because in our case, something else is happening. The market monster, the great Moloch, has finally realised how to seize and force under its dollar-and-cent rule the area of values which was previously reigned over by taste and a sense of form, and which, until the new age, was actually maintained by a special strata – the aristocracy – from the towers of ethical values and aesthetic ideals. The great cultural bemoaners of the 18th – 20th centuries saw things clearly. There was a transition period when there was still a fight, but that ended, in Amsterdam Van Gogh became a fridge magnet, in Paris Monet a light headscarf, and in Kyoto the Ryoanji Temple Rock Garden a one-hundred-and-fifty-kilo American tourist, who sits beside it, and who, with one glance across the garden, releases such a fog of stupidity over the Ryoanji, completely shrouding it, in other words, the victory is total, the common, though nuanced, is capable of asserting itself as true quality, since there’s space only for the barbarian, the brutal, and it possesses such an immense power, where everything is priced to the dollar and cent, no historical power has ever compared in the history of the globe. And there is a globe now, which there wasn’t before, in this sense of the word. Today the production and consumption of Coca-Cola are so tightly connected with the life of a small South American tribe, it’s impossible to separate one from the other. We are living among the very radical consequences of an unprecedentedly insidious revolution (példátlanul alattomos forradalom /PAF/), to which, until now, the most similar event was when a civilization would vanish through the trapdoor of world history. But today there are no separate civilizations, there is one single globe, and that’s our life now.

2/2

The rest is in the link.
Also, has any Hungarian anon read his new book yet? What did you think of it?

>> No.18531121

>>18531083
Nobody cares fag.
I am too busy shitposting and reading Thomas Bernhard

>> No.18531136

>>18531121
Krasznahorkai was influenced by Bernhard, and in fact quotes him in that interview. Of all the living writers influenced by Bernhard, he is perhaps the best.

>> No.18531141

>>18531136
Sorry bro I don't read literature written by breeders.

>> No.18531145

>>18531083
>or at the till in Tesco

Wait. They have Tesco in the post Soviet dystopia?

>> No.18531151

>>18531083
>screenwriter
Yeah, i don't care.

>> No.18531169

>>18531151
>Yeah,
rebbit

>> No.18531170

>>18531083
> Fell deeds awake, now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn!

>> No.18531176

>>18531151
Are you even interested in literature if you don't know whom he is?
And the films he wrote are among the best ones ever made.

>> No.18531229

>>18531121
I care.

>> No.18531231

>>18531083
Great, thank you anon

>> No.18531244

>>18531083
That's a very good interview. I am not sure why anons are being contrarian spergs.

>> No.18531257

>>18531244
They probably don't know Krasznahorkai.

>> No.18531262

>>18531083
Love Krasznahorkai but this interview is Evola-tier kind of cringe

>> No.18531264

>>18531262
Grow up.

>> No.18531269

>>18531151
god you dumb dumb nigger

>> No.18531274
File: 9 KB, 258x195, 1566461805533.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18531176
>Are you even interested in literature
>>18531244
>I am not sure why anons are being contrarian spergs.

>> No.18531298

>>18531264
Will do, but surely not by regressing into idealized visions of the past which never existed in the first place.

>> No.18531300

>>18531264
you need to grow out of evolacringe and burn all his books asap.

>> No.18531311

>They crave lies, so it doesn’t take much effort to lead them. They think what they see on television or on Facebook is reality. But the truly existing reality is almost completely inaccessible through the channels of information at our disposal. What happens in an American presidential election for example, or at a G7 summit, is completely different from what we learn from the television.

The most boomercore interview by a European author I have read these days. Artists in general and writers in particulars should give as less interviews as possible. If communicate in a lateral way through art, you'd better not try to explain yourself otherwise

>> No.18531312

>>18531300
I don't burn books, I'm not a twitter tranny like yourself

>> No.18531313

>>18531298
If that's your interpretation, you are such an idiot that no matter how much I explain to you that you are an idiot, you will never be able to understand it.

>> No.18531316

>>18531244
>being contrarian spergs
Our sacred founding principle.

>> No.18531322

>>18531313
That's what I'd expect from people who read books whose premise is that only "initiated" people can "truly" understand them, so thank you for not blessing me with your knowledge.

>> No.18531331

>>18531322
tradlarpers BTFO

>> No.18531332

>>18531121
stfu

>> No.18531342

>>18531262
This

>> No.18531408
File: 48 KB, 586x338, McCoffee.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18531322
>>18531316
There is literally hundreds of pages of effortposts in the archives explaining why Krasznahorkai is a great writer. At least 20 pages of it is mine. If someone wants to engage with it, sure, I like talking about him. But you immature cunts insist on refusing to substantiate your opinions.

>>18531300
>>18531298
There are two things that make normies like you seethe like nothing else: critiquing the modern world and telling them I don't vote. It is always a pelasure seeing you transform into bestial fumes that subsume the world. Basically a twitter mob on steroids. So brainwashed and set in their consumerism, identity politics, and commodification thought that you are incapable of even rationally assessing different perspectives. Sad!

>> No.18531434

>>18531274
Did you forget the tripcode?

>> No.18531437

>>18531408
>normies
Go back to r*ddit

>> No.18531550

>critiquing the modern world and telling them I don't vote

these are my favorite ice breaker conversations

>> No.18531574

>>18531437
take your meds

>> No.18532040
File: 247 KB, 1200x1849, Baron Wenchkheim's Homecoming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18531408
I have read Krasznahorkai extensively, anon. I deeply love his books and I consider him the best living european writer. I just think this specific interview is garbage. There are a lot of valid critiques to move to the modern world (and I don't vote either, so at least there's something we agree on), but "muh art is not gud anymore" is Evola-tier criticism, by which I mean, cringeworthy, ill-informed criticism. People who think masterpieces are a thing of the past and that the modern world does not allow for the existence of high-culture generally do not reflect enough on the fact that high-culture is something that is constituted in time through substained critical discourse around it. Namely, the feeling that today there is no good art was probably shared by most artists in their own time: Joyce, for instance, writes widely about it in his letters, despite living in possibly one of the most creatively fertile period recorded in history. The problem is that it takes time, for all great works, to be recognized as such. And yes, today's modality of constitution and of diffusion of critical discourse around works of art have changed greatly, but I do not think that this will change the essential fact of how art survives throughout history, i.e. that some highly intelligent people keep talking about it autistically for a sustained period of time, and the discourse is passed on to other highly intelligent, equally autistic people. Sure, some ages are "better" than others, and surely ancient Athens was a more art-friendly environment than others, but lamenting the end of high-culture just because people have the internet and drink coca-cola seems, to me, a boomer-core underestimation of the power of autistic people ceaselessly talking about complex books, music, movies, which I see as a trans-historical phenomenon.

>> No.18532064

>>18531083
Very based post, anon. The movie for Satantango is also very good.

>> No.18532072

>>18532040
1. I separated my post into 2 parts only one of which was directed at you.
2. You completely misunderstood what krazzy was saying. if you stopped boxing your ideological enemies into boogieman categories you might learn something (just see how u had to bring evola into this, for literally no reason except some supposed mild resemblance of thought).
3. If someone you deeply respect disagrees with you, you should reassess your thoughts, not just sneer at it.
>high-culture is something that is constituted in time through substained critical discourse around it
Is just wrong. High culture has always been about timeless truths. What you are saying is just a despicable ignorance of the transcendental and spiritual projects throughout history.
5. There is a difference between "no time bias yet" and "modern society perpetuates consumerism and classical education is dead". The current world for art is not different. Its outgiht worse.

>> No.18532081

>>18532040
I endorse this post

>> No.18532105

>>18532040
This post was written by an Amazon drone.

>> No.18532122

>check wikipedia
>"was born into a jewish family"
>penndepositingrubbishintotrashreceptacle.gif

>> No.18532138

>>18532122
>said anon while using jewish made technology

>> No.18532150

>>>18532072
these two posts are mine:
>>18531322
>>18531298
so both parts were directed at me.

>High culture has always been about timeless truths. What you are saying is just a despicable ignorance of the transcendental and spiritual projects throughout history.
This is the kind of teenager thought I think you need to outgrow. Study more and read more and you'll see why it's wrong. I have studied classics for 15 years now, and I can assure you most of the stuff that we have survived by a combination of chance and very poor selection by ideologically driven critics (whom I still thank). The most worthy philosophical works by Aristotle are entirely lost. Alternative versions of the Iliad and the Odyssey, whose quality we'll never be able to assess, have been entirely lost. Hundreds and hundreds of Greek tragedies of incredible beauty are either lost or surviving only in fragments. If you do some archaeology you'll see that what survives history, survives because of people caring about it, and talking about it, not because of its intrinsic quality. We have a lot of horrible latin literature which was preserved only because the writers were in the service of some emperors, for instance.
There is no reason whatsoever for "quality" works to survive in the next 3000 years if there is no sustained discourse around them by critics and artists. If anything marks the existence of "quality" (which I do not deny) is the continuity of discourse. But, for the most part, even this fails, and studying history of art can show you how, the farthest back in history you go, the more it becomes clear that almost all "intrinsically valuable" work of art is lost within a time frame of 4000/5000 years. To assume good art is "timeless" means to have no sense of what history looks like once you start thinking in millennia instead of decades.

>> No.18532161

>>18532138
Kek in what universe do Jews have anything to do with computers or the internet?

>> No.18532166
File: 19 KB, 439x303, carnevali.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18532072
also, to expand on the general idea of criticizing the "modern world", I think that people do not realize how enhanced our capacity to communicate our own distress about the world is compared to previous ages. People can now share stories about how they feel for millions of other people to read and see with basically no mediation time, when, until 20 years ago, this just wasn't possible. So, of course, we are now living in an age where everyone is (finally) able to voice their distress at the same time: what is coming out of that is a rather dismal picture of life as a series of painful events, shattered dreams, deluded expectations etc. Public discourse before 20 years ago was simply not able to register distress on the same level, but I am pretty confident that if you could have tweets and videos from people living in any age before this one the picture you'd get of general human pain would be way, way worse. Our problems at the moment are very hot summers and a global pandemic - which are big problems, of course, but I do not think they compare with ciclical global famine, general exposure to all kind of untreatable illnessess, material poverty, unrecorded violence of all kinds and forms most humanity experienced until basically 100 years ago. People who wrote and shared stories before the internet era have been, mostly, people who could afford an education and lived comfortable lives. The more you go back in time, the more expensive education was, the richer were the people writing. It is extremely difficult to reconstruct, for instance, how poor people lived in classical Greece. The very few cases of people who were horribly poor and capable of writing, such as pic related, usually depict a way sadder, way more violent, way more horrible world than ours: that was the world most people lived in. Only, nobody was talking about it. Today, at least we are. So, if anything, the modern world is better than the previous eras, in that we can at least be vocal about how bad life can get. Before 20 years ago, if your life was bad, you mostly just died and nobody cared.

>> No.18532169

>>18532150
>>18532166
>This is the kind of teenager thought I think you need to outgrow
Sorry I can't be bothered to read the rest so your post is useless. Being so disrespectful to (neo)platonist thought, Jung, Eliade, Spinoza, Kant, Hegel, Blake, etc. displays such tremendous arogance I can't be bothered to enagage with you.

>> No.18532179

>>18532161
What about you read a history of mathematics and computer science book and find out?

>> No.18532213

>>18532161
what is intel
what is google
what is facebook

holy shit dude

>> No.18532219

>>18532161
>t. never been on /g/

>> No.18532233

>>18532161
The site. THE SITE. You fag

>> No.18532236
File: 105 KB, 295x422, plotinus.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18532169
Trust me, if someone is disrespecting Plato and Plotinus, that's you. They know exactly what I'm talking about, which is why they were both skeptic of writing.
Plato kept his esoteric thought unwritten, and likely only hinted at it in dialogues, also because he knew that everything in the sensible world is subject to decay - including art. Plotinus never wanted to write in the first place, and his work only came to us because he had a very intelligent, extremely autistic editor - Porphyry, who is regarded as the best editor of the ancient world, a total exception in that he ordered his work both thematically and cronologically. Why? Because he cared about the work of his master. But Plotinus, for as much as he is innovative, was clearly as "deserving" of survival as the best work of Aristotle, which are lost.
Yet you, much like Critias in the first part of the Timaeus, wanting at all costs to prove that there is an historical continuity between his family, i.e. his own knowledge and human worth, and the lost city of Atlantis, prefer to believe the lie that things survive in time because of quality, when Plato himself made very clear that even the most advanced civilizations can be destoyed in the time of a day (and today more than ever!) and that historical survival of quality is a chimera. What survives, in the Timaeus, is human beings, and the capacity to think within them. This thing alone can, ciclically, uncover some "timeless" intellectual value. But no matter how good, quality is not made to survive in the sensible world.
Read your Plato better.

>> No.18532241

https://hlo.hu/news/joint-statement-by-writers-editors-illustrators-of-hungarian-childrens-books-against-new-law.html
>CtrlF Krasznahorkai
>CtrlF Nadas
Good to know good writers don't endrose this bullshit. Hungary is the only sane country left in europe. Well, that and Poland I suppose.

>>18532236
Sorry, don't care, didn't read

>> No.18532266

>>18532241
Trying to bait people into discussing politics isn't going to make you look any smarter at this point

>> No.18532277

>>18532266
Posting 3 wall of texts redefining terms in order to defend an indefensible point didn't ake you look smart either

>> No.18532290

>>18532266
What about you run to daddy tranny janny and cry about it to him?

>> No.18532291

>>18532277
if you can tell how smart a text is before reading it I bet your general understanding of the books you read must be amazing!

>> No.18532387
File: 271 KB, 1280x960, Tesco_Kőszeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18531145
Tesco launched in Hungary in 1994 (November 23) after purchasing a small local supermarket group trading as S-Market based in Szombathely, in the West of Hungary. It opened its first hypermarket in Hungary at the Polus Centre in Budapest in 1996. Tesco operates through more than 200 stores in Hungary with further openings planned. Tesco Hungary also offers a clothing line and personal finance services.[9] In August 2010 opened the first Tesco Extra in Budapest; its name is Tesco Extra Fogarasi and it is located in Zugló, Budapest. The second Tesco Extra opened in Debrecen in 2012.

>> No.18532959
File: 19 KB, 400x284, tesco.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18531145
You say that like that's something special, it's probably the most stereotypically low quality chain store here, we even had an ancient meme about questionable "tesco value" products.

>> No.18533132

Anyone here read Destruction and Sorrow?

>> No.18533169

>>18532150
>>18532166
So you said, to someone who told someone who called the interview ''Evola-tier cringe'' to grow up:

>Will do, but surely not by regressing into idealized visions of the past which never existed in the first place.

Which is why I called you an idiot. Maybe that was an exaggeration, but we are on 4chan.
Anyway, do you really think that Krasznahorkai's view is that we should *regress into idealized visions of the past*? It is quite obviously not.
Have you read the entire interview? He goes on to explain:

>[Interviewer] On the other side of the scale though is the widespread democratisation. You mentioned the aristocracy, though I don’t know whether you were thinking of the historical or the intellectual aristocracy. But one thing’s for sure: now broad masses of people can more easily access culture and other benefits, people who previously couldn’t, because they couldn’t read for example. From a narrow elite perspective of course we would call this decay…
>[L.K.] Sorry to interrupt, I wanted to say this first, but I haven’t managed. Before you call me an elitist, let me call myself one: I am an incorrigible elitist. As for the word aristocracy, I accept both interpretations. I am thinking of historical aristocracy too, just to give an example, because think of their palaces, their churches, their interior architecture, their existence of partaking in and understanding art, think of their lifestyle, of that unsurpassable sensibility, which came at a terrible price, but let’s not get into that now. Yes, not now, because now let’s just this once think of their power to uphold high culture, not to mention their otherwise rarely observed moral ideals. It sounds like a fairy-tale, doesn’t it? And totally blind. I’m perfectly aware of that. And you’re right, the ugly fall was no accident. Modern democracy is a giant achievement, and in its principles there isn't a more just vision of society. Unfortunately though, through its destruction of the aristocracy it has killed something, which is tragically lacking from both the present and the future: the great individuality.

1/2

>> No.18533177

>>18531136
It shame he's a jew.

>> No.18533179

>>18531085

>His new book

Baron Wenckheim or did he do another one? I really enjoyed Wenckheim and it reminded me more of Melancholy of Resistance. The funeral scene was pretty top tier

>> No.18533187

>>18533132
I've read it. It has some interesting bits in it regarding his experiences, some nice interview-like parts, but ultimately I found his orientalist whining of "Waaaah why isn't China still like it was during the Tang Dynasty" very grating.

>> No.18533189

>>18533169
>[Interviewer] But then this great individuality is purely an ideal, which doesn’t necessarily fit into reality.
>[L.K.] That’s right, the great individuality never fits into reality, it rises above it, and embodies an ideal, which – subsequently – does have a place in this reality, because just look at the châteaux of the Loire Valley, at renaissance paintings, at baroque music, which were commissioned mostly by aristocrats, or those following in their tracks. It would sound pretty silly to go back to the feudal times when, well, in essence, an elite secures its existence by keeping the best part of society in various phases of destitution.
>The feudal naturally is a deeply unjust and inhumane system, like the ages before it. But the situation is exactly the same with the hypocritical world known as democracy which we can now observe in operation, where – in reality – those exact people are degraded the most whose freedom and dignity is said to be protected.
>Even with the most extraordinary civilization, we can never suppress our own natural instincts, and allow ourselves to create fairness. We know the horrible consequences that came of messianic social do-goodery. And so there is no redemption from injustice, we are suppressed animals, who eventually, when the noose tightens, can’t tear themselves away from under the laws of nature. And then the sword comes crashing down.

>[Interviewer] But this modern sword is much more merciful, or at least offers more comfort, than in older times.
>[L.K.] Until it comes crashing down. Too many local catastrophes occur, when it’s revealed what we’re subjected to. But without a doubt, the modern technical civilization provides much greater protection to the Earth than any other in history. We can’t doubt its splendour, or its charm. But nor can we doubt that it has woken us to how long this protection lasts. And this is why beliefs, what’s more, faith itself has come to an end. A large part of the Earth hasn’t given up their religion, or their gods. Which is curious at first. Because it’s clear to everyone that neither belief, nor faith will help, when trouble comes. Okay, but on second thought? When we understand that, in times of real trouble, all we have to hang on to is prayer? Fear doesn’t let go of our gods. As Thomas Bernhard says: there are less atheists in a crashing plane.

So Krasznahorkai *explicitly said* he thinks going back is pretty silly, yet you talked about him as if he wanted to "regress to idealized visions of the past".
Now, do you understand why I called you an idiot?

>> No.18533243

>>18533179
The new one is not translated yet. Herscht 07769 is the title, it was published in February.
Here's from a Hungarian review at Goodreads (google-translated):

>I love long books, if I can be in a story for a long time, I tend to ruffle my moods by saying that a regular novel has a minimum of 500 pages. It’s only around 420, but the writer himself stated it’s not a novel, just a narrative. But only one sentence. I realized something weird, taking a breath at the end of sentences while reading, which is uncomfortable for a sentence this big.
>The motto of the novel (sorry, narrative): hope is a mistake. In Kanab, a small East German town today, Florian is already living after the refugee crisis. A young, large former state caregiver who now works for Revenge depends on him. The other important person in his life is a teacher who tries to teach quantum physics, but the elusive nature of quantum physics, Florian’s simple thinking unable to handle it, even begins to warn Merkel in a letter about the impending apocalypse. For him, the two most important people are at both ends of the spectrum, Revenge of the Nazis, Köhler, his teacher, Jew, and Florian want to save the world. Here is this human sentence, which gives space to the many, many inhabitants of the small town, by presenting the characters authentically and accurately, we can follow the unfolding conflict from several perspectives. Kana, the small town itself, is a protagonist, a man-made community, paralyzed by anticipation of a terrain that simultaneously embraces segregation, in which there is the possibility of boredom and tragedy because it does nothing against the tragic end result. The story itself is very much alive, whether we are looking at the neo-Nazi movement or looking for clingers from here, from the covid era, unfortunately hope is really a mistake. I would praise your sentences,
>it’s the only one that works well, pulls in like a flow, it’s hard to put down, it’s hard to get out of it. Krasznahorkai knows something because it creates harmony between the music of a Nazi and Bach, a very simple-minded man, and quantum physics, while blending nicely into the 21st century. century in such a way that it does not seem much or forced in the slightest, and continues the problems of the individual and society, because sometimes there is no limit. And not a little didactic.

>> No.18533266

>>18531408
based

>> No.18533328

>>18533243

I thought he was done with literature after Baron Wenckheim will be getting this one when it comes out in English sometime

>> No.18533384

>>18533187
>his orientalist whining of "Waaaah why isn't China still like it was during the Tang Dynasty" very grating.
>orientalist

Why do some people feel the need to try to fit the thought of intelligent writers into previously-defined buzzword categories?
I haven't read the book, but I am pretty sure you're fitting it into a simplification. It probably does have some family resemblance to ''orientalism'' (whatever you mean by it), which is why you end up equating the two things. But this would only mean that you cannot differentiate a brother from an uncle from a great-uncle or from a sister. It's the same thing that lead the other anon to equate Krasznahorkai's interview with Evola-type thinking, when in fact Krasznahorkai is not really like that.
If I am mistaken, and he does indeed whine about wanting China to be like it was during the Tang Dynasty, I am sorry. But I am pretty sure that his views are way more subtle than that.

>>18533328
Writers always say they are done with literature. It's common. Lobo Antunes has been saying for 30 years that his next two books will be the last ones.
Anyway, Ottilie Mulzet will be translating the book, she said so on Twitter. It was some months ago, so she's probably working on it already. But I don't think it's gonna come out all that soon, as it seems to be a hard one to translate. I don't know.

>> No.18533441

>>18533384
No, he literally said it in a Hungarian interview that he'll never visit China again unless he gets a chance to go back in time to the Tang Dynasty you flaming faggot.

>> No.18533486

>>18531262
He's actually a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, literally the amalgamation of every post-WW2 writer before him that you can think of with a glaze of Hamvas-tier (Hungary's bootleg Guénon) pseudomysticism.

>t. hungarian

>> No.18533495

>>18533187
Veled beszéltem Krasznahorkairól a magyarchan-en, anon?

>> No.18533510

>>18532122
Technically he's half jewish, and by jew standards he's no jew because it was his father who was the jew, not his mother.

>> No.18533521

>>18533495
A fonálra emlékszem, de eléggé gyorsan megnyomtam a katapult gombot még az elején.
Őszintén az a könyv sirarlmasan szar ha olyan kínabuzi vagy mint én. Gyakorlatilag a jobb interjús meg az érdekesebb eldobott adatok miatt éri meg elolvasni de akkor is égbekiáltó retardációkat ír és sír a szája azért mert egy ország már nem olyan mint amilyennek ő azt elképzelte a fejében hogy lennie kell.

>> No.18533526

>>18533243
Ohoho, you guys are going to love it, of that I'm sure. It's about neonazis in contemporary East Germany, and the "rise of contemporary fascism" (my wording) IIRC.

>> No.18533562
File: 1.16 MB, 686x776, 1613860118815.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18533243
>refugees
>neo-nazi
>Merkel
>quantum physics

>> No.18533596

Nyugger kóp.
El se tudom hinni, hogy egy úgynevezett "értelmiségi" nem bírja megérteni, hogy az, amit mit "klassziknak" hívunk pusztán egy múlt kor tömegkultúrának a desztillált változata. A Tang dinasztia Kínája ugyanúgy tele volt szarral, mint a mai világ. Mivel nem érdemes szarra emlékezni, csakis a "jó" művek élték túl a történelmi szűrőt.
Így érvelve bárki rámutathatna Lovecraft ponyvaregényeire, hogy bebizonyítsa, akkoriban csak jó ponyvákat írtak.
100 év múlva senki sem fog emlékezni a
>havi köpönyegszar
filmre, ami most van a mozikban. Viszont valami kóppoló fingszagló ugyanígy rá fog mutatni Krasznahorkai műveire, hogy bebizonyítsa: ő bizony egy kultúrai pusztaságban élő, félreértett művlészlélek.

>> No.18533631

>>18533562
>being this reductive
>>>/pol/

>> No.18533643

>>18533521
Már szerintem ott is említettem de nekem ez az egyik legnagyobb problémám vele, ez a műanyagmiszticizmus meg a nyárspolgári poszt-mítoszkeresés-mítoszkeresés, ami nagyon fárasztó számomra. Amikor a modern "értelmiség" számára a kihalt kereszténységet lecserélő bukott marxizmus utáni világban már tényleg minden mindegy, csak legyen mibe kontextus vagy akármi nélkül beleolvasni 2deep4u szarságokat, aztán rácsodálkozni, hogy milyen érdekes, hogy a világ alapállapota minden korban és mindenhol pont a szerző gyökértelen poszt-világháborús, poszt-marxista langyos liberális belbudapesti középbalos materialistadenemúgy világnézete, bónuszpontok járnak a random módon kidobott pánenteizmusért meg a középkori/ókori filozófusok és misztikusok félreértelmezéséért úgy általában.

A buddhizmushoz is ugyanúgy áll, mint kínához amúgy, bárcsak tudnám melyik interjújában esett róla szó, de ott is ment a siránkozás, hogy "nem tudjuk milyen prakritot beszélt eredetileg a buddha, nem ismerjük a tanításának eredeti nyelvű szövegét, és ez megrázó", meg hasonló elsőéves BTK-esszékbe is beleillő kurva mély gondolatok.

Mit tettünk, hogy ilyen írókat érdemeltünk ki...?

>> No.18533674

Is he a good writer?
I heard about him a few years ago, but I was surprised no one translated anything he wrote, specially because they always get one or two books by "hype" authors in my shit country.

>> No.18533711

lel ive never seen a /lit/ thread before. holy shit what a treat for this smoothbrain

>> No.18533737

>>18531083
The only interesting thing people are creating now is technology, human culture has become boring. Become a futurist and posthumanist.

>> No.18533745

>>18533486
Could you give us some details? I am interested.
Also, I don't think he is true a liberal in the American sense of the word, is he? I know he's a democrat and apparently has some level of sympathy for the Latin American left (which I, who am Latin-American, do not, but I unfortunately understand why some people would, given the other options we have here). However, you can still believe in those things in a way that's pretty old-fashioned and unpopular among contemporary American liberals.
I mean, if his friend Allen Ginsberg were still alive, he'd probably be cancelled.

>>18533441
In that case, it seems that his views really are silly, *if* that was a correct exposition of them, because to judge from the interview I posted he really seems to disbelieve any idea of ''going back''.

>>18533562
From what some Hungarian told me, the novel is not moralistic at all, but what do I know.

>>18533674
Many of his books have been translated, I think. He's a very great author, and perhaps the greatest living master of descriptive prose. However, if you want 'nice plots' you should probably read someone else. He's a guy who writes a fifteen-page description about a bird standing on the water, and the bird does nothing unusual. That kind of stuff.
I myself am just beginning to get into his works, as they are quite expensive in my country.

>> No.18533759

>>18533643
Regényt tőle én csak egy rövidet olvastam, az tetszett tizenéves fejjel.
Engem igazából csak az baszott fel kifejezetten hogy a kínaiakon számonkérni a Tang-kort az kb olyan mintha itt a turista lebaszna Budapesten hogy miért nincs bajszom meg vagyok bőgatyában.
Egy teljesen retardált faszság, és teljesen figyelmen kívül hagyja a Tang utáni dinasztiák kulturális teljesítményeit, mint a dráma, a novellairodalom vagy a később kialakuló regényirodalom.

>és ez megrázó
Hűbazdmeg ez az aggódóértelmiségi nyomorékság. Ha megkérdezel egy hívő buddhistát valószínűleg pont le fogja szarni a szövegkritikát mert van helyette hagyományozódás és hit ami nekik bőven elég, nem kell ide akadémiai sterilitás. Arra a külső megfigyelőnek van szüksége.

Kiváló példa arra hogy attól hogy írt pár elméletileg jó könyvet, attól még kurvára nem kell komolyan venni amit mond/gondol bármilyen más téren.

>> No.18533873

>>18533745
Am >>18533643 and >>18533495 and >>18533486

>Also, I don't think he is true a liberal in the American sense of the word, is he?
Well, of course not, he's liberal in that uniquely post-communist way. That is to say, maybe he will bemoan the failure of the marxist project, reaffirm his affinity for its "humanistic" vision while disowning its IRL results, but as far as theory and praxis goes he is all about "let's just be nice to each other...except towards the fucking fascists, never let your guard down, people!". So yeah, he's a boilerplate liberal, all right.

With Krasznahorkai this is glazed over with that weird pseudomysticism I talked about, and also a visceral distrust and distinctly urbanite perception of rural people. People abroad will certainly miss this but here in Hungary the genre of "these rural people are sure backwards and weird, huh, that's why we, urbanite intellectuals, need to light the torch of knowledge and guide them towards a brighter future" is an actual thing, originating from fin-de-siécle urbanite lefty writers who were canonized and put into public education after the communist takeover, with them being seen as the ideological vanguards of the communist rule in the first half of the 20th century.

The way they talk about rural people sometimes makes me think of some bizarro version of the Cooperian image of the indian noble savage, in that their perception of these savages is not noble but closer to something like papua new-guinean natives without the cannibalism. It's them projecting everything they fear or dislike onto the "unwashed masses" as an other they're allowed to make fun of.

I suppose it's not unlike how urbanite writers of the US like to make fun of lower class whites, because nobody will call you out for doing it.

>> No.18534013

>>18533873
>let's just be nice to each other...except towards the fucking fascists, never let your guard down, people

Are there any quotes to that effect?
Anyway, that's interesting, and a little disappointing to hear. Doesn't change the fact that he's a very great writer, though. There are few contemporary voices who are comparable, in my opinion.
I read a book Kosztolanyi some time ago and really enjoyed it, by the way. The quality of your country's literature, like that of Ireland or Austria, is really disproportionate to its population size. The poetry is also quite good, even in translation (I have an anthology of French translations done by Guillevic in the 60's, which I read from time to time).

>> No.18534097

>>18534013
>Are there any quotes to that effect?
Admittedly, no, it's more of a palpable attitude that you can sense from someone. Sounds pretty mysterious, I know, but surely you've felt similarly, once, "knowing it when you see it".

>I read a book Kosztolanyi some time ago and really enjoyed it, by the way.

Kosztolányi is one of my favourites, actually, he never gets bogged down too much in the trends of his time (psychoanalysis, left or right politics, etc.), and his aesthetic sense is phenomenal, almost Nabokov-esque at times.

My other favourite is Babits Mihály, though besides his first novella I don't think anything has been translated into English so far. Sorry for that.

>The quality of your country's literature, like that of Ireland or Austria, is really disproportionate to its population size.

Thank you, I suppose a turbulent history makes for much to tell lol.

>The poetry is also quite good, even in translation (I have an anthology of French translations done by Guillevic in the 60's, which I read from time to time).

Glad to hear that, is it a general anthology, or a 20th century one, or something else?

I've been told that Szentkuthy Miklós has been getting some recognition as well in the modernist sphere of things. I think Prae was translated recently, it's one hell of a trip. Better strap in if you want to take it on.

Pilinszky János is great, too, if you're into catholic/mystic poetry. József Attila and Szabó Lőrinc might be to your liking, too. Radnóti Miklós had an interesting career as a non-avantgarde jew who converted to catholicism. Ottlik Géza probably has some of his stuff translated as well, or at least I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

>> No.18534165

>>18533745
>Many of his books have been translated
Not in my language.

>> No.18534380

>>18534097
>Babits Mihály

There are five poems by him in the anthology.

>Glad to hear that, is it a general anthology, or a 20th century one, or something else?

It goes back to the 19th century, with the earliest poet being János Arany. It also contains poems by Jozsef Attila and Szabó Lorinc, as well as many others.
It's entitled 'Mes Poètes Hongrois'. Guillevic often kept the meters and rhymes, which probably makes it way less faithful, but quite readable. He was helped by a lot of collaborators when translating, including sometimes the poets themselves (Sandor Weores seems to have contributed to the translation of two of his poems).
Unfortunately, it's not very long though, only 300 pages.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'll check them.

>> No.18534409

>>18534165
You can find them at Library Genesis in English, or at the Enlace de bibliotecas digitales, if you know Spanish.
He hasn't been translated into my language (Portuguese) either, I think, and I don't really like e-books, so I buy his stuff in English, from Amazon, but it's quite expensive.
He himself approves of his English translations (though, as he says, they're different books altogether, not the real thing, but this is a problem with all translations, after all).

>> No.18534813

>>18531083
Bump.

>> No.18535883

>>18532064
Damnation is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHg63lVIEE4

>> No.18535891

>>18531083
WELL IN FACT MY DEAR INTELLECTUAL PERSON
YOU ARE STUPID AND THIS IS WHY
Electricity, is not dual, it is tripolar ... at the moment.

>> No.18537220

> don't know how to read or write

ok that's where you lost me, what the fuck are you talking about?

>> No.18538826

>>18537220
Go on Booktube and see for yourself. They don't.

>> No.18538889

>>18532040
This is a dogshit post that reeks of academe vacuity. Trust your instincts anons- You know there's fuckall being crafted right now that's worth anything. This is high order sophistry.