[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 250x372, lordofluce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1848649 No.1848649 [Reply] [Original]

Son of a butt I just read this book and even though I'm not usually into science fiction that much I loved it.

>> No.1848657

So, what's it about?

>> No.1848677

These colonists from Earth land on another planet and cast themselves as Hindu gods after subjugating the native creatures, and oppress the populace that grows up by controlling all the advanced technology that exists, e.g. body transfer machines get cast as reincarnation devices with the 'gods' controlling who gets reincarnated and as what, as well as suppressing any technological advancements. So basically one of the crewman of the ship attempts a revolution against the gods by using Buddhism as a counterculture and casting himself as the Buddha. It's pretty awesome.

>> No.1848682

huh. Sounds kinda complicated. I've been on a sci-fi kick lately and am always attracted to books with the word "light" in the title. I've never read any Zelazny, though, and your description sounds interesting enough so maybe I'll give it a go. Thanks.

>> No.1848685

Sounds just like Off Armageddon Reef

>> No.1848695

R'hllor! Cast this board into the flames and give birth to the stone dragon!

>> No.1848722

A Zelazny collection here:-
>>1848300

>> No.1848727

This novel is the ultimate expression of the maxim "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magik".