[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 331x500, A Feast for Crows 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1848082 No.1848082 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/ I'm in a bind. I recently started reading an insane amount in the past few months after around 6 years of nothing. This month alone I've read, Breakfast of Champions, Mother Night, Fight Club, he Riverworld series, all of The Black Company. I just finished all the A Song of Ice and Fire books currently out. I need something to hold me over for a while. I have really bad insomnia and I find I can't sleep unless I read for a few hours nowadays. I already read The Dark Tower series, and a bunch of the Myth Inc (childish but still entertaining) series in middle school. I can't think of any series to devour next. I was thinking of reading Choke or Haunted by Palaniuk but they won't last me 3 days. Any suggestions?

>> No.1848084

Sound and the Fury should keep you occupied for a week or so.

>> No.1848090

>>1848084
>a week
>Pages: 336
Try a day.
I should also mention that I've never liked a classic other than Shelley's Frankenstein so I'm a little hesitant to pick of older novels.

>> No.1848092

>>1848090
How bout you try following the narrator before you proclaim how quickly you read the book. You realize the narrator changes, without warning, and that the main narrator is mentally disabled?

It's not abotu page count. it's about depth.

>> No.1848094
File: 20 KB, 320x242, can_i_borrow_a_feeling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1848096

>>1848092
No it's about how long I'll be able to read something somewhat interesting before I'll have to find something new. Don't get me wrong. It sounds like a pretty good book, I've added it to the list later. But that feeling I get after I finish reading a book or series keep me awake way longer than the normal insomnia.

>> No.1848102

Infinite Jest
Wind Up Bird Chronicle
Gravity's Rainbow
Cloud Atlas

>> No.1848116

If you liked the Black Company, you'll almost certainly like Joe Abercrombie - five relatively thick books that will entertain your insomnia away. Start with The Blade Itself, and work your way through.

Also, Joe Haldeman's Forever War series.