[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 232x235, Sade_(van_Loo).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1843784 No.1843784 [Reply] [Original]

is the marquis de sade worth reading? i know he's highly influential and he's certainly a fascinating figure, but is his writing up to par? those who read any of his books: please tell me if i should seek this author out.

>> No.1843787

If the S&M culture intrigues you, then yes you should read his works. But if it's something that would make you uncomfortable then you shouldn't.

>> No.1843790

Easy as to read and dead funny. Get a bit boring/repetitive, but for light reading they're wicked.

>> No.1843792

No. It's repetitive and stupid as shit. And not really a good representation of S&M culture as I understand it, since a big part of that is that it's supposed to be consensual and mutually enjoyable. Sade just gets off on rich and powerful people doing horrible things to the powerless because they can. It's basically representative of all the worst stuff about the 18th century.

>> No.1843795

>>1843792

Yeah - it's basically this, but that doesn't make it bad. It's cool for a bit of a laugh and a groan (the donkey ripping apart that chick in Juliette made me feel a bit ill, which I suppose is cool)

>> No.1843803
File: 494 KB, 500x385, giwot.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

desade is pretty much my idol brb i have to shit

>> No.1843810

Some of it's definitely worth reading. Try Philosophy in the Bedroom.

>> No.1843826

The marquis combine sexual acts with philosophical ideas that pretty much gave us an idea of what human sexuality is capable of also if you are into weird sex shit you will like the fucked upped stories told in the novel.

also about the repetitive part it does happen but only when they keep on talking about shit for some few pages.

If you want to really appreciate the book. Have at hand the name of the character ready at your disposal until you know who is who in the novel.