[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 387 KB, 1028x1600, Plato-portrait-bust-original-Capitoline-Museums-Rome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18435351 No.18435351 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any Plato reading chart? If not, could an anon help me out? In what order should I read him, is every work essential or can I skip some? I'm interested in his thought as a whole, but mainly metaphysics

>> No.18435398
File: 260 KB, 746x1033, plato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just read everything that doesn't have contested authorship. There's an argument for excluding "less essential" texts but personally some of my favorite texts are the less essential ones (like Ion and Cratylus). Just be sure to read it in a (vaguely) chronological order

All chronological orderings are based on philological and stylometric analysis, the exception being the "late" texts which can be asserted confidently and particularly the Laws being written last. That being said pic related is alright. What matters the most isn't the order within the periods but that you progress from early > middle > late and read the Laws last. I also strongly recommend you read Eric Havelock's Preface to Plato (it's on libgen), maybe the most illuminating text on Plato for me personally.